Seven Network 2019

I would try my hand at something more masculine to launch out of the cricket. Maybe House Rules, maybe a new format.

1 Like

very risky given Married at First Sight’s success and Seven’s failure to launch new shows successfully recently.

Well MKR was already becoming stale against Married. So they are going to have to eventually try something new and something out of the cricket would be the best slot to try that. As I said if it was something more masculine then there would be a different audience than that of Married.

2 Likes

Little Big Shots might be passable viewing at 4pm weekdays, but not 7pm on a Sunday night. This week’s Gogglebox review of the show has only reinforced that opinion for me.

I was thinking maybe House Rules might work in Q1 (opposite end of the year to The Block and probably a decent enough “After The Cricket” program), but I really don’t think Seven would want to schedule My Kitchen Rules directly against or after MasterChef.

1 Like

Start a new sports-style game show and strip it across 5 nights. They need something creative and out-of-the box for the first half like MAFS.

1 Like

Game shows have not been doing well. I am at a loss as to what they can try to be honest.

1 Like

A few good dramas (like the initial H&A, Neighbours and Blue Heelers) and some family programs/sitcoms would be a start. Enough of ‘reality’ shows.

I just don’t think seven have the money to invest in dramas and sitcoms. I think we will see a lot of dating shows, cheap panel shows and perhaps a few documentaries from seven next year.

And for some reason God Friended Me - still no idea why :slight_smile:

According to Screen Australia, it’s in Post Production. Not sure if it can be shown.

1 Like

Don’t think so. For the sake of the AFL rights they’re pouring heart and soul into, they’re certainly not getting decent returns (like Nine are with NRL).

Nah. They had to cost cut, laid off staff - outsourced.
Moving their playout in a combined playout centre to cut $$. They have let go of tennis, Melb cup. They seem to keep using the line that they need programming for them to be financially viable and
I would assume that’s why they can’t invest in long term drama production as it’s too expensive. It’ll be interesting to see what will happen AFL time because I doubt they will have the money to retain full rights especially with the last deal being over 1Billion dollars

1 Like

Simple, they should let go of all premium sports rights and get back on track with their general programming before the AFL costs them big time. Sure they might be stuck in a hole for a while but then it happened in 2001 with the AFL and yet they became resilient and 6 years later they have it again.

Don’t think Nine are getting many benefits from the NRL considering some of the ratings it’s gotten this season. The reason they’re doing better is that they have well-established shows whilst Seven’s 2nd half schedule is once again weak

2 Likes

Think it’s fairer to say they were outbidded for both by Nine (who really wanted the Aus Open due to the demographics it pulls) and Ten (who recklessly overpaid for the Melbourne Cup)

I doubt next time around that a single network will have exclusive FTA rights to either AFL or NRL. Think for both, two networks will share the rights

1 Like

Maybe Seven and Ten with the AFL, Nine and Ten with the NRL (dreaming of course, but anyway).

Sure, but that’s at least one exclusive marquee event which Ten will have rather than zero (that is, unless they include the other races which Seven once upon a time had as well).

1 Like

Knowing that they’ve been making cutbacks in the way of moving to a combined playout centre and possibly also in news & current affairs (plenty of longtime presenters/reporters have left Seven in recent years, particularly in the East Coast markets) among other things, I actually get the impression that Seven currently might be in the least healthiest financial position of all three commercial networks regardless of ratings.

Because so much money will be going towards the expensive AFL, Cricket Australia and Olympics broadcast deals I reckon there’s going to be quite a few cheap reality/factual programs in Seven’s primetime lineup for 2019 with very few if any investments in drama or comedy.

The current branding & On-Air Presentation will also likely continue for another year or so IMO.

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I agree. One can definitely see a situation where two networks share the AFL & NRL to offset the costs, perhaps Thursday/Saturday and Friday/Sunday packages or something?

The larger events could also be on different networks each year…to use a couple of theoretical examples:

*AFL Finals Series on Seven with the Brownlow Medal/International Rules/EJ Whitten Legends Match on Ten one year and visa versa the next.
*NRL, Finals Series on Nine with the State of Origin on Ten one year and visa versa the next.

Mightn’t be those examples specifically but you get the general idea. Either way such a scenario would likely benefit viewers and the continuing evolution of sports coverage on Australian TV.

2 Likes

According to TV Tonight, Seven’s 2019 upfronts will be held in Sydney on October 26.

1 Like

I wonder if 7plus will add more First Run US Content as Exclusives???

Such as The Goldbergs?

4 Likes