Seven Melbourne

It could consider Fishermens Bend on the other side of Yarra River.

I’ve often wondered how Seven get their feed for events broadcast from the stadium.
Do they still go via Telstra’s DVN (like other networks would) or have Seven got their own private cabling for the short distance between BCM and the stadium.

The station needs to be central to Melbourne for obvious reason.

• Bourke Street Mall
  • Federation Square
  • Southbank/Southwarf
  • A Collins Street Location
  • Docklands - AFL New HQ - also close to Docklands studios etc.

I cant see them constructing a new facility/ most likely rent-out office space somewhere.

Good thought, but I doubt Seven have some special-exclusive comms arrangement with Etihad Stadium.

Why do you doubt it?

1 Like

Well, seems a bit ridiculous. Seven don’t have a binding-relationship with or own Etihad do they?

Shouldn’t they have to go through the normal network OB broadcasting procedures? Would the cost be that different anyway?

1 Like

Having a dedicated link may work out to be cheaper if used often enough. Companies and organisations do that sort of thing all the time because it can be cheaper than having ad hoc arrangements

3 Likes

Fair enough, didn’t even know such relationships existed.

Do Seven use NEP or a provider like that, for their OB sport telecasts (e.g.) AFL?

I know Nine do (cricket / NRL) and Ten (BBL).

Yes I imagine they still have an NEP OB truck parked underneath the stadium running the broadcast (like any broadcaster would). But I’m still open to the idea that they may have a dedicated link from the stadium to BCM.

Even in the corporate IT world I’ve worked at plenty of places that have comms and WAN links to affiliate organisations who share the site or even just lease office space. It’s also not uncommon for an external organisation to have an entire rack in another company’s data centre for this purpose.

1 Like

Access would be difficult as hemmed in there by the river on ‘two’ sides.

Competing media would have a field day with talent ‘cruising’ the nearby park, it’s notorious as a gay public sex and hetro dogging location. On hols, I went to look for the punt in the shadows of the West Gate over to Spotswood and found all these uptight men on their lunch break pacing about, quite amusing, like dogs in a pound (no pun intended).

I googled this and found it’s so popular, it’s made it to Trip Advisor!

Parks Vic and Vicpol really need to do something about that. It Is a great spot especially when the lake turns pink, but the cruising isn’t even discreet.

1 Like

That’s the problem, it’s quite a spectacle of all the wrong sorts. Desperation is high on the agenda there. I found the punt jetty a bit further on, it runs inconsistent hours unfortunately.

for VFL and AFLW matches Seven uses the ABC’s OB facilities, I have noticed seeing their vans at these games.

1 Like

I’m tipping they’ll move further towards the Bolte Bridge, close to where the new AFL HQ will be moving too.

Easy freeway access
Easy access to the Melbourne Airport
Close to the city
Close to Docklands Film Studios
Nice city views over Melbourne

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just close Melbourne down & do it all from Sydney?:grimacing:

1 Like

or the other way round…?

How about a compromise - Canberra?

2 Likes

This year’s Melbourne New Year’s Eve fireworks coverage will again start at 11pm AEDT. 14 tonnes of fireworks will light up the sky at midnight, covering 7 square kilometres of the CBD and accompanied by a synchronized soundtrack curated by Shepparton-born Indigenous rapper Adam Briggs.

2 Likes

Perhaps I think Seven should telecast the Melbourne fireworks nationally (time delayed in non-AEDT states) as counter-programming to ABC’s Sydney fireworks. Or if Adelaide and Perth have midnight fireworks Seven should telecast them in these markets instead.

2 Likes

Emily Angwin and Rob Mills hosting New Years Eve coverage this year.

4 Likes