Seven HD

I’m thinking better not count your chickens I sent a twitt to 7 sports presenter Ryan Daniels early asking the question why both wa teams are broadcast on mate on Sunday and not on 7hd
These were he’s reply’s

“Hi mate, Channel 70 is our HD channel - which in summer is 7, footy season is Mate. Both games are on that channel on Sunday, so both in HD”

Change to channel 70. Not 73."

"Should change very soon.“
So it looks like those at 7 don’t know what’s happening!!!

2 Likes

TV presenters aren’t the best people to ask about things like whether a show/channel is in HD. Maybe try someone who works on the technical side of things.

7 Likes

That’s correct. I actually forgot about that one.

Completely OT I know, but Southern Cross actually aired a localised 7TWO launch reel with Jo Palmer before the regular schedule officially commenced at 7.30pm on December 1 (exactly a month after Seven launched the new channel). 7mate also launched a month later on SC due some technical issues or something if memory serves.

However, unfortunately, SCA took much longer (around 6 months after Ten’s launch of it) to deliver OneHD to their regions. Obviously this created a huge uproar from regional viewers at time, but when you think back the channel in its original form didn’t last overly long anyways!

1 Like

IIRC, I think it was due to SC covering the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games (from Ten), in which during that time, LCN-60 was used to broadcast normal Seven programming, whilst LCN-6 broadcasted the Commonwealth Games.

4 Likes

Well with 7HD remaining and going by my EPG I have 7HD going with main programming up until Tuesday 4th April. So this could look permanent. Dissapointed , but i guess i can always pay for HD content.

I still think 7mateHD was a better use for the HD channel then 7HD will ever be, but i won’t open that can of worms.

3 Likes

There is always occasionally gonna be something on one of the multichannels that would look better in HD than something on the main channel.

It’s a shame that the broadcasters couldn’t come up with a deal with Foxtel for HD carriage of all of their services (probably only to metropolitan areas) like has happened in parts of Europe.
It appears to be the case that many are played out in HD anyway, and if they worked out how to split the dosh it could be a nice little earner for all parties involved.

3 Likes

Do Pay TV providers pay channels or the other way around in Europe? I know here in the US, the pay TV systems have to pay the channels to be on their service, unlike in Australia …

It’s still 7HD until 8th April. Looks like 7 did the right thing.

Imagine the backlash if 7mateHD returned.

2 Likes

That’s the thing the only backlash they got last year when they started the split 7HD and 7mateHD was us on media spy. Honestly the people I have spoken to people about didn’t really care about it either as long as the Afl was still on one of scenes channels.

Sky UK has carriage deals with ITV and Ch4 for having their multichannels in HD. I believe it goes like: Sky pay for the bandwidth on the satellite and the uplink and therefore the HD channels aren’t available anywhere else for free, eg. Freeview or Freesat (the only other way is Virgin cable, and even there they are only part of the higher packages).

[quote=“TV-Expert, post:1099, topic:895, full:true”]IIRC, I think it was due to SC covering the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games (from Ten), in which during that time, LCN-60 was used to broadcast normal Seven programming, whilst LCN-6 broadcasted the Commonwealth Games.
[/quote]Ah, of course! Funnily enough, I just came across an old promo from 2010 explaining the situation of the Games coverage on Southern Cross and Southern Cross 60 with continued airing of Seven’s content on there.

Even though SC continued airing Seven’s shows on SC60 for the duration, I vaguely remember them “playing catchup” on the main channel at the conclusion of Delhi with a selection of shows in case viewers missed out watching them during the Comm Games (Home and Away was probably one of them).

This was also back in the day when SCA deliberately delayed Ten’s sport coverage of the Games (and AFL) on TDT so they could air it live themselves. For the Comm Games, I think TDT had a 3hr delay to its coverage or thereabouts.

1 Like

Indeed.

Are we safe yet? Seven HD to remain a simulcast of Seven? Well done Seven!

2 Likes

The Grand Final rematch between the Bulldogs and Swans is on Friday night, and it’s still on 7mate in SD only in Sydney.

If there was going to be a game they’d switch it over to 7mate in HD for, this would have been it.

1 Like

Has Seven switched its HD channel in Sydney, Brisbane & Perth back to 7mate, seeing the AFL has returned?

Or can they now have both (i.e.) 7HD & 7mateHD?

I doubt it.

Not just being the #2 network for over a decade now, but especially with all the bad press over the past year or so about financial issues/ad revenue decline/poor ratings.

You’d think this would’ve been a major topic of conversation in this thread for the past week, wouldn’t you?

16 Likes

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Yes, sorry I was just reading them.

I would say it’s obvious 7HD will remain a main channel simulcasf nationally.

Unless Seven decide to switch to 7mate during the footy.

(e.g.)
Sydney Swans play on Friday night, which usually pulls a significant (50-80k) audience on 7mate in Sydney.

I think you’ll find they deleted the story - link only goes to their main page.

Nothing has changed 7hd and 7 mate sd in Perth even though the afl has started

2 Likes

Wonder if daylight savings ending will change anything…