Seven HD

The DeciderTV article said it would happen at 2am - so clearly they got it wrong again.
The article also says that viewers in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth will miss out on 800 words in HD. While this is technically correct, no one in Australia can watch 800 words in HD since the season finished this week!

3 Likes

No it’s not. If there’s no 800 Words then there’s nothing for anybody to miss out on.

2 Likes

Fair call. I was more taking that angle that if it’s not on it won’t be shown anywhere in HD.

1 Like

If it were going to switch today, then we would ahve seen it. Maybe tomorrow at 2am?

The AFL has started, if they haven’t done the switch now they’re not going to.

2 Likes

I wonder what happen with this so
I have notice all 4 games in round 1 are all on mate in perth

Agreed. Maybe the AFL are satisfied that viewers can access HD coverage on Fox Footy or online. Let’s be honest, the numbers for the footy on 7mate aren’t big enough in Sydney etc to warrant the main channel not being in HD,

6 Likes

You mean Foxtel are happy for footy viewers to pay for HD footy? Not surprisingly in the slightest.

But interesting times ahead if this is permanent. With now effectively AFL being in SD only.

Really wish Channel 7 would just say something to confirm or deny , not sure why they arent. It’s not like it’s a big secret. Or is it? LOL.

They don’t need to confirm or deny anything. Seven didn’t say anything about it changing today or anything, it’s all been word of mouth. As far as they are concerned its business as normal and nothing to announce.

4 Likes

Seven has changed the bit rates for tonight - or possibly the extra movement in the 7Mate picture has automatically sucked some bits towards it.

Tonight during AFL game (7 minute average)
7HD 4.2
Seven 2.9
7Two 3.8
7Mate 4.7
7Flix 2.1
7Racing 2.7

The MPEG 2 HD stream for 7Mate on 7QLD regional is 11.9 Mb/s

This afternoon’s reading
7HD 5.0
Seven 2.9
7Two 3.4
7Mate 2.5
7Flix 2.8
7Racing 3.9

4 Likes

At least there’s still the option of watching live AFL in HD, even if you have to pay for it.

You couldn’t really say the same thing about Seven main channel programing if the switch was flicked back to 7mateHD outside of Melbourne and Adelaide…oh, and also Tasmania via Southern Cross. I really hope that viewers in the island state are enjoying being ahead of Prime7 and Seven Queensland in something for once! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Slightly OT, I remember 7TWO was available in Tasmania before those in Prime markets in Regional NSW/ACT & VIC got it by approx 3 weeks. This was back in December 2009.

4 Likes

Why is RACING.COM that high?!

2 Likes

Made no sense at the time the measurement was take and the picture wasn’t any better because of it.

i hate decider tv to be honest. thats the third time that they have done that

Hate is a strong word but, yes, Decider TV is very uninformative, often wrong and slow on the news.

4 Likes

sorry dislike ahaha

Worse, they’re often liars. They’ve said previously they have exclusives with inside information from networks, only for whatever they’ve said to be flat wrong.

1 Like

It’s the same chance of Seven HD switching back to 7mate HD for Perth, Sydney and Brisbane is the same as Seven changing the graphics for Round 2. If they haven’t done it now they won’t.

2 Likes

I’m pleased that we still have 7HD as the main channel up north. Like others have said, I think it is now safe to assume that 7HD as it is now, and should have been last year, is here to stay (hooray!).

My theory is that the AFL wanted 7 to retain the AFL in HD for the northern states, but the issue became access to HD footage for the FOX games. FOXTEL refused, so 7 refused to put all AFL games/7mate on the HD channel. I reckon 7 may compromise a little by putting a couple more 7 produced Swans/Giants game on 7/7HD in prime time this year in Sydney (since both teams are set to do well this year). That’s my theory anyway.

All we need now is for TEN to get their HD act together and I will be a reasonably pleased HD chappy.

Footnote: AFL is still in HD on Prime7’s 7mate channel (naturally), so Sydney viewers desperate to see AFL in HD on Free to air can swing their UHF antennas south to the Gong and watch it that way.

5 Likes