Seven HD

Not quite. The services on 70 and 71 merely point to 7 (and as such take up very little bits on the multiplex). Seven would have to create a new service on 70.

2 Likes

Would love to see the 2016 Melbourne Cup Carnival in HD on 7HD. Would be the first horse race meet to be shown in HD in Australia.

I know we discussed this on the old forum but now I canā€™t remember the outcome, but did Channel 10 or 7 not show it in HD during 2001-2009?

I think Caulfield Guineas will be the first race meet to be shown in HD given itā€™s held a month before the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

Not sure about that one. There was some coverage of Horse Racing on 7mate a little while back

Eurosport shows international horse racing

Sevenā€™s HD loop had some horse racing in it - so technically, horse racing has been in HD on Seven before, but Iā€™m fairly sure none of the live coverage has been HD.

Ten used the Melbourne Cup as part of their original testing of digital in 2000, and did SD multi-angle coverage. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve seen screenshots of it in the past - but I canā€™t track them down now.

How many local feeds of HD will Prime7 need to launch (presuming Prime7 has local feeds for each advertising market as WIN has done. WIN has launched about 20)

For Seven I think itā€™s 12 (5 metro, 7 in QLD)
For Southern Cross I think itā€™s 4 (Central, Darwin, SA/Broken Hill, TAS)

And for Prime7 I think itā€™s 17???:

CBN Canberra
CBN Orange
CBN Dubbo
CBN Wagga
CBN Wollongong

NEN Tamworth
NEN Coffs Harbour
NEN Taree
NEN Newcastle
NEN Lismore

AMV Albury
AMV Ballarat
AMV Bendigo
AMV Shepparton
AMV Taralgon
AMV Swan Hill
AMV Western VIC

Judging by the pic of its watermark on the old forum, Seven has a separate Gold Coast feed, which mostly relays the Brisbane station, including ads. This is similar to what Nine has.

There is two feeds in TAS: North (Launceston) & South (Hobart).

Points to note of the above, re Prime7:

• Dubbo & Orange share the same feed, including ads & local news.
  • South Coast (Ulladulla to Eden) has its own advertising feed that is separate from Wollongongā€™s.
  • Central Coast has its own feed, likewise for the Gold Coast.
  • Ballarat & Western VIC share the same feed, likewise for between Bendigo & Swan Hill.

So all up, thatā€™s 17 feeds that Prime7 need to upgrade to HD after Seven eventually launch theirs, 18 if you count GWN7, which has only 1 feed for all of Regional WA.

Mildura?

Sorry, I forgot about Mildura on the number of feeds Prime7 has, as they have a different callsign (PTV) to the rest of Regional VIC. So thatā€™s now 18 feeds (19 when including GWN7) that Prime7 needs to be upgraded to HD.

Thereā€™s also Gold Coast

I already mentioned that as one of the feeds that Prime7 has. :slightly_smiling:

So, in summary, here are the number of feeds that Prime7 has, at least for its main channel:

Southern NSW/ACT

Canberra
Orange/Dubbo
South Coast
Wagga Wagga
Wollongong

Northern NSW

Central Coast
Coffs Harbour
Gold Coast
Lismore
Newcastle
Tamworth
Taree/Port Macquarie

Regional VIC

Albury/Wodonga
Ballarat
Bendigo
Mildura
Shepparton
Traralgon

As far as sports coverage during the early days of digital TV is concerned, I thought that Seven were still producing a fair bit of 4.3 sports coverage right up until about 2004-ish?

Iā€™d have to check on this, but itā€™s to my understanding that Nine was producing sports coverage of events like cricket and NRL in SD widescreen from the very early days of digital TV. Ten probably did something similar, remembering that they experimented with multi-angle coverage of events like V8 Supercars on Digital TV for the first year or two.

AFL fans are more likely to see games in HD on 7 mate than on 7 HD for the time being.

I thought GWN7 was divided into 4 advertising regions?

Until we hear a formal announcement from Seven, we can only guess whatā€™s going to happen.

AFAIK, I think they only have 1 advertising region for all of Regional WA. At least thatā€™s how I saw it when I was last time there in October 2012.

Prime does 3 GWN7 feeds for WA. SSW, VEW and WAW. GTW, the 4th license area, shares the WAW feed.

1 Like

Central and SA also have 2 feeds. So thatā€™s 7 feeds SCA would need to upgrade. WIN also controls 3 primary 7ā€™s.

I think youā€™ll find that Coffs and Taree are the one feed. I regularly see ads for Forster/Tuncurry, Port and Taree on the Grafton/Kempsey transmitter.

1 Like