Seven HD

What’s worse. A delay or delivering a half-arsed attempt at HD? :wink:

4 Likes

Even if just some programming is HD, I 'd be happy, even the SD up-conversions looks a lot better being broadcast in HD.

Yet when Ten does this it’s the end of the world.

6 Likes

Like - I know ! :grinning:

When/if it starts Seven will have to find a way to break it to WA viewers who are used to 7Mate broadcasts being in HD.

2 Likes

They should just go back to the way they used to it by literally putting the 7 schedule on 7mate during live games. Ie; AFL from 4.30pm-7.30pm on 7 and Deal, Seven News, Home and Away on 7mate.

1 Like

yes if they convert some and do HD on MPEG4

1 Like

Seven should reduce the bitrate on 4ME to cater for 7HD, 4ME is a shopping channel and viewers won’t care less about its reduced picture quality.

I’m sure the viewers won’t care but the content providers and the cash hungry assholes that own Call and Win and Psychic TV would have something to say!

4 Likes

Not that I ever watch the channel, but I believe that 4ME via Seven has been broadcasting in MPEG4 since around the time 7Flix was announced.

To make enough room for a quality Seven HD picture, they might have to convert either 7TWO or 7mate to MPEG4…and I certainly don’t think that Seven would be brave enough to make such a move yet.

1 Like

I thought they would convert 7Mate to SD, thus roughly halving the required bit rate then use the saving for 7HD.

4 Likes

Why does it seem an impossible feat? WIN is churning out 7 channels in the same configuration Seven would require (1 HD MPEG-4, 3 SD MPEG-4 and 3 SD MPEG-2) and it works. Admittedly it’s hard to tell how much the quality of the SD MPEG-2 channels has suffered due to WIN’s weird filtering methods, but it’s still achievable.

4 Likes

I am certain that the HD channel will be on our screens, possibly regional areas too, by the time the Rio Olympics come around. I can just imagine the promos right now.

2 Likes

There has been no promos yet on 7 HD and given their history it’s unlikely to ever change.

I’m expecting a very soft launch of 7 HD when it comes.

A bit off topic. I recall there used to be a southern cross 7 HD in Darwin but it was mostly upscaled SD and never true HD.

I Think Home and Away is More Female-Centric, it’ll never air on 7mate.

I’m not female and I watch it lol

I would assume when 7 HD goes live, it will air in actual HD most of the time.

True. Actually I’m not sure if it did ever air on 7mate, but 3 hour chunks of Seven programming certainly did from around 2012 to 2013. 7TWO would be a better fit anyway.

delete

All seven needs to do is just change the resolution of both 7 on 70 and 7mate on 73, then 7 HD is on 70 and 7 mate is on SD in 73. That’s all seven has to do.

Yeah. However Seven HD will be on air soon first in big cities and regional Queensland and then southern cross and prime will have it up and running by July or August hopefully

Southern cross might need to add more LCNs to accomodate 7 HD and 7 mate.

But who knows they are relying on the scrapping of reach rule to become law before they do anything…

Else people watching prime and southern cross 7 will still get the Olympics in HD if 7 mate is still HD in those areas.

Yet Win didn’t wait until the reach rule was scrapped.