Seven Cricket Coverage

Any story anywhere about Foxtel and their success or lack there of, public comments?

At one point a few years back the Stars were getting 70k at the MCG and the Strikers were getting 40k plus at the Adelaide oval. There’s just no hype anymore for the competition. It has also been hard to follow on two networks. It wasn’t ready to go to pay tv. It’s only 8 years old. It needs free to air exclusive for the hour, build up and relevance.

3 Likes

Yeah. A few years ago, the Melbourne Derby had 80000 people at the mcg. As time Went by, crowds start to fall. In 2018-19 season, the average crowd declined significantly and this was due to the stupid seven/fox deal for the next 6 years. Sadly I am losing interest this season due to 2 reasons.

• tournament too long,
  • my scorchers team is not playing well

I was in attendance that year. Was electric. Sad to see a rapid decline in hype this year

1 Like

I thought u are a Stars fan

This evening 7mate showed the highlights of last week’s BBL match between Perth Scorchers and Sydney Thunder to fill in the two hours which was supposed to be the final session of the day/night test, before the live broadcast of Scorchers v Renegades.

1 Like

While Seven & Fox don’t want the number of games to be reduced, they want CA to take measures to support the extended schedule (eg; increase the salary cap + the number of international marquee players each team can have)

This is probably the ‘key’ passage from the article:

Television ratings for the Big Bash this summer are exceeding both Seven and Fox’s expectations, but both rights holders fear for long-term sustainability unless immediate changes are made by CA at the end of this BBL season.

2 Likes

ESPNCricinfo has a report on the proposed changes to next season’s domestic schedule which is related to the article posted above. On the BBL, the report says:

…the likely structure for next season would feature seven rounds of the Sheffield Shield interspersed with a portion of the 50-over competition in the lead-up to Christmas, before the BBL begins as late as Boxing Day.
The T20 tournament would then be squeezed into a shorter timeframe than this season, albeit still concluding in mid-February, comfortably beyond the end of the school holidays at the end of January.

So next season we may see more doubleheaders in the BBL, even at least one tripleheader.

we may get a fuller picture tomorrow when the T20 World Cup schedule to be held in Australia in 2020 is announced as to where everything might fit ?

1 Like

It is likely that the WBBL05 be played straight after the conclusion of the 2019 AFL Season. The WBBL05 will be played on the last day of November (which falls on a Saturday). I believe that the WNCL 18-19 may have to be taken on hiatus. So the T20 World Cup (Women’s) be played in February and will end on 8 March where the final will more likely to be played at the MCG.

I think the revamped WBBL schedule will mean more coverage on 7mate so it won’t interrupt broadcast of spring racing carnival on Seven/7TWO.

The women’s tournament is at the tail end of 2019/20 season while the men’s tournament is at the start of 2020/21 season, so the effects on domestic season scheduling is yet to be seen.

1 Like

There was a tripleheader this season?
Sunday 13 January
Thunder versus Adelaide
Renegades versus Brisbane
Perth versus Sixers

1 Like

Ashton Agar joined in commentary with Jim Wilson and Andy Maher for the scorchers v renegades match at Optus stadium.

2 Likes

Try again. That’s not Jim Wilson.

Brad Hodge!

1 Like

Bingo!

1 Like

ABC Radio’s Alister Nicholson is joining Seven’s commentary team for the second test between Australia and Sri Lanka, which starts in Canberra on Friday. He replaces Tim Lane.

2 Likes

Whats wrong with Tim Lane?

1 Like

When Tim Lane was revealed as a member of Seven’s commentary team in mid 2018, he said he would not call every test. I guess he is now taking a well deserved break before the start of the AFL season.

1 Like

I thought (a bit like Bruce McAvaney) Tim Lane was only doing the main Tests, finishing with Sydney? Though he did the (barely 3 day) Brisbane one.

1 Like