Seven Cricket Coverage

Michael Slater is back on the BBL tonight after being absent for a long time on Seven’s cricket coverage.

3 Likes

Good that they’ve put him back on when it’s the Australian Open Final, so that no one will be subjected to him.

Tonight’s BBL match is being simulcast on Seven and 7mate in Melbourne due to early end to the Gabba test. Not sure if it is for the first innings only or the whole match.

1 Like

Why oh why though do they have to put Ponting up with two of the worst commentators in cricket? Nannes is average to say the least and pair him up with Slater and it makes your ears bleed.

Ponting is great but it feels like he’s been overshadowed by the other two.

They simulcast the cycling on 7/7Two today after 1pm, so wouldn’t surprise me either way.

1 Like

Food for thought.

6 Likes

Seven and 7mate ended up simulcasting the whole match, so 7mate’s audience share will drop when the ratings are posted in the morning.

Why didn’t they just air a movie on 7mate?

2 Likes

I daresay Seven only decided to simulcast tonight’s BBL on 7mate in an attempt to get increased ratings for the cricket against the Australian Open Mens Final on Nine.

Will it work for them in the ratings? Probably not, although we’ll only know for sure tomorrow morning.

1 Like

If people had recordings scheduled for the game on 7mate they’d be pissed and complaining if it wasn’t on and they couldn’t readjust them.

2 Likes

One factor that would’ve worked in Nine’s favour is that there was no International cricket up against the Aus Open final (there should have been, but it ended Saturday afternoon to Seven’s dismay).

Last year and over the years many times there has been, affecting Seven’s shares during the Aus Open final. In 2017 (Federer vs Nadal) however there wasn’t, giving them a 50% main channel share alone. Although that match was thrilling and lasted longer, so there won’t be 2.7m metro tomorrow!

3 Likes

Don’t think so - they did the same thing with a WBBL clash a few weeks ago that was meant to air on 7mate but ended up also being shown on 7 due to a rain delay in the Sydney test

no it was due to the game finishing and I am pretty sure it was the Perth test

Even though the Gabba test finished on Saturday, the EPG on my Fetch PVR was still showing Test Cricket when BBL was on last night.

4 Likes

14 games in a season is way too much during the summer holidays and therefore, it drags out into the start of the school year. What I am saying is that many kids across NSW, VIC and QLD will start school during this week. The Scorchers v Renegades game at Optus Stadium will be on Channel 7mate in all markets and the crowd numbers are going to be down.

It’s officially a bomb.

3 Likes

It’s behind a paywall. What’s the gist of the article?

Basically it’s about BBL falling from the great heights from the time it was on 10 to all time lows, as you would agree. Fox and Seven have killed the game.

Rubbish, what has killed the game is a combination of:

1 - too many games, across too many weeks.
2 - wickets being too bowler-friendly now, with a lack of big scores and big hitting.

8 Likes

It’s gone too long this season as everyone has mentioned. Started pre-Christmas and still a wee way off finishing. Feels a bit like the never-ending 2007 Cricket World Cup.

Ideally the best limited overs players should be available the whole way through rather than having to leave for Australia duty. Hard to juggle that though.

2 Likes