Seven Cricket Coverage

Call me stupid but since Seven doesn’t even have exclusive rights to cricket (aka only air some matches while FOX airs everything), why are they even bothering to provide coverage over Summer when they know that they’re only showing certain matches and not everything? Viewers will notice that a lot of matches are missing (i.e. 43 BBL matches instead of all 59, no T20s and ODI) and will switch off because they don’t get everything.

Worst of all, why are they even bothering with cricket rights when they’re in cost-cutting mode knowing full well that FOX will have a better line-up compared to them (thank you Seven for inflicting the boring-as-batshit Hamish McLachlan on your coverage) and are not even broadcasting all the matches (as mentioned time and time again).

I know Seven is trying to save money, but if they want to make more money then IMO they should’ve went for everything and lock FOX out. Terrible management who consistently doesn’t give a f**k about their network.

Rant over.

2 Likes

It’s a bit difficult to get exclusives when there aren’t really any “marquee” cricket events that are worth keeping to themselves - except maybe something like the Big Bash Final, as the Tests are a series and others a round robin tournament.

Also when you consider the only AFL exclusive that Seven has is the Grand Final, similarly Nine only have Origin and the NRL Grand Final as exclusives.

3 Likes

Even then Seven (and presumably Nine) don’t even have streaming rights for these games. The stupid networks only know how to join up with Fox every time sports rights come up. Diabolical.

It’s all about the $$$$.

The networks appeared to have worked out that they save more $$$ by giving up exclusives compared to what ad revenue they lose in comparison.

3 Likes

But then they lose more people who used to be able to watch sports exclusively on FTA but cannot because some matches are played on Fox rather than Seven or Nine. It’s a lose-lose as soon as anyone signs up along with Fox.

Look at the number of sports which used to be on FTA exclusively that have ended up on Fox:

• V8s (and motorsports in general)
  • Soccer
  • Basketball
  • AFL
  • NRL
  • Cricket (soon)
  • Soccer

All of these sports have less audience than now. Why? All thanks to good-for-nothing Fox sports locking up exclusive matches behind the paywall. All these sports used to have mainstream appeal, but look at it now. Motorsports, soccer, basketball are all dying, and so are AFL/NRL (slowly). Cricket is probably going to suffer as well in the future, all because networks are trying to be cheap and tie a deal with Fox.

Nine seemed to have figured a way out signing exclusive Tennis rights, but the other networks only seem intent on signing with Fox.

4 Likes

Last I checked, Nine has the streaming rights to all their live NRL coverage on 9Now as of this year.

And to be honest, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if part of the reason Nine opted for tennis (from 2020) over the cricket was due to the availability of streaming rights.

I agree in the case of those events or sports that are no longer on free to air that it’s not ideal.

But I like the simulcast agreements in that the viewer still has access to a free air telecast OR they can pay for an ad free version with different commentary (except AFL) and with better quality HD. They get a choice that wasn’t there before.

1 Like

Damien Fleming to commentate Tests and BBL on Seven

Damien Fleming, former Australian fast-medium bowler, is set to join Australia’s new home of cricket, Channel 7.

Fleming compiled an impressive career for Australia across Tests and ODIs including a Test hat-trick on debut and a key role in the 1999 World Cup winning team. He’s been equally successful throughout his time in the commentary box on television and radio where fans have enjoyed his entertaining and insightful ‘bowlology’ theories.

Damien Fleming commented:

“Channel 7 has delivered iconic sports coverage to Australians for many years so it’s very exciting to have the opportunity to join their cricket broadcast team and contribute to something really special.

“It will be exciting to continue my relationship with Ricky Ponting in the commentary box and I’m sure all Aussie cricket fans will enjoy the innovative new coverage Seven will be bringing to Big Bash and Test Match cricket.”

Channel 7 Head of Cricket Dave Barham said:

“There was no ‘avenue of apprehension’ when it came to getting Flem to Seven. He is a highly entertaining commentator with theories and expressions that resonate with fans, and cricket and bowling knowledge that’s second to none.”

The Fleming signing follows the announcement recently that Australia’s highest ever run-scorer and former captain, Ricky Ponting, will call Test matches and BBL on Seven.

3 Likes

As documented when the rights process played out, it seemed CA were determined to have Fox involved come hell or high water (eg; rejecting the $900 million Ten/Nine joint bid and the subsequent $960 million bid Ten made for all the rights + how the negotiations played out). Therefore, the limited package Seven got seems to be the FTA package CA wanted to sell once they entered into that mindset.

That’s currently the case but they’ve publically stated that they intend to on-sell some of the rights

3 Likes

Thanks for your explaination :slight_smile:

A bit off-topic but just curious to what people think of Fox Sports’ take on cricket and why tf did CA think they were worthy of getting the rights rather than Seven/Nine/Ten getting exclusive rights?

I’m pretty sure the words “$1 Billion” and “Fox Cricket” (no doubt CA would’ve wanted a dedicated channel for coverage after monitoring the success of Fox Footy/League in recent years) were enough of a reason for Cricket Australia to make a deal with Foxtel and Seven over Nine/Ten.

Soccer and basketball dying is not correct. The A-League is considering bids for new teams for the 2019-20 season, while crowds at the last season of NBL have been very good and the league is now negotiating a new FTA deal.

Look it’s a shit deal. Anything fox is involved with is a disaster. And sevens coverage will be sub par judging by the people they’ve signed.

Fox will not get subscriptions off the back of this deal. They’re whole model is flawed and deserve to go bankrupt.

Seven are woeful at this sort of stuff.

3 Likes

Don’t be surprised if Nine will onsell the Hopman Cup and additional Australian Open coverage to Fox Sports, and the Sydney and Brisbane Internationals to beIN Sports (womens) and ESPN (mens).

The AFL deal works well in terms of Seven keeping their on-air branding and personalities despite Fox simulcasting every game.

Really?

Could’ve sworn I saw a Friday night AFL game a couple of weeks ago with Sydney and Hawthorn attract 300k on Fox Footy, whilst still attracting close to 600k on Seven (metro), including over 300k in Melbourne.

2 Likes

One thing on that; cricket did die 10 years ago when it went to fox/nine. At the last rights deal CA was quoted in the nine/ten deal that this is all about maximum viewers watching the sport. Essientially go beat off soccer, which it did. 5 years on, they make shit deal with fox/seven. Watch it flop.

Because CA wanted $1 billion and not 999.99 million or 960m etc.

Ten could’ve offered $1 billion months ago and I’m sure CA would’ve accepted then and there.

1 Like

Um I signed up for foxtel because of cricket and to get ad free footy

1 Like

Congratulations on having a disposable income, here’s your trophy :trophy:

1 Like