Seven Cricket Coverage

Ponting can be heard on Fox Sports during the IPL

1 Like

It was just a replay of the interview shown during the AFL Friday Night Countdown preview show.

3 Likes

Bruce to Punter “I would have thought for any batsman moving from Ten to Seven would be moving in the right direction” :joy::joy:

4 Likes
2 Likes

not being on the main channel, which means less eyeballs watching. Traditionally, main channel gets more viewers watching than those on multi channels. They should’ve thought this through. It will hurt them in the long run.

2 Likes

It’s really not an issue. As we have seen in the past, multichannels are quite capable of scoring significant ratings shares, particularly when broadcasting live sport.

I’d suggest those who want to watch tennis will watch tennis and those who was to watch big bash will watch big bash, regardless of what channel it is on.

3 Likes

It’s a shit rights deal anyway. Cricket Australia have lost their marbles and are killing cricket.

5 Likes

It is what it is. Nothing can be done. Going by this year’s YTD share for 7mate (and some individual nights), the multi-channel is performing masisve anyway, 8.5% beating Ten’s main channel just a few nights ago.

From 2020, Seven will only have cricket.

By the way, from CA and the media’s perspective, it’s a bit poor. But not Seven’s, as they’ll dominate summer, milking it for all its worth.

And let’s be frank, the News Corp dribble is just rehashing everything we already know.

2 Likes

The only real issue is that 7 doesn’t have a second channel broadcasting in HD.
As previously said, 7mate does pull big numbers when big sports are there.
If they still only have 1 HD channel come January I wouldn’t be surprised if 7 pull the old switcheroo with what’s in HD. My guess is the contract states main channel, not HD.

2 Likes

Let’s hope by then there’s two HD channels, although doubtful Seven’s new play-out facility will even be in its infancy then.

So unless there’s some way they’re able to work out something with the systems and technology they’ve got at BCM, I guess it is doubtful.

1 Like

Here’s hoping they sort something out cos sport looks rubbish in SD as a rule.

3 Likes

I wonder if any leaks or announcement will be made again, about Seven’s cricket?

Like last Friday, as they then bragged (drooled) about it during that night’s AFL coverage.

1 Like

I bet you wouldn’t be saying that if Channel Ten were in a similar situation.

well yeah because Ten don’t have any summer sport

But wait, there’s the Hyundai A-League that will run during summer in 2018-19 and possibly 2019-20 season.

Rubbish simulcast deal with terrible ratings.

4 Likes

The Sunday Telegraph reveals Seven is close to finalise its commentary team. It will include Michael Slater (from Nine), Ricky Ponting, Glenn McGrath, Greg Blewett, Damien Fleming, James Brayshaw and Hamish McLachlan. Jim Wilson and Mel McLaughlin will have hosting roles.
Not surprised to see Fleming and Brayshaw there but why McLachlan? And why no role for Andy Maher?

1 Like

Some thoughts:
Slater and Brayshaw back together again…now with the addition of McLachlan. People are definitively going to react positively to that /s

Why Damien Fleming? He was the worst BBL commentator.

No Basil yet. Possible he might do the Cricket for the 2019/20 season when 7 don’t have the Aus Open rights

Andy Maher didn’t even commentate in the Men’s BBL (aside from a few games?), so I’m not surprised he hasn’t been hired.

Not sure yet if 7 will have the same commentators doing Tests and BBL

I don’t understand Seven’s insistence on jamming McLachlan down our throats when it comes to their sports coverage. While I can understand him being part of the AFL coverage, I’m at a loss as to why he would be involved in their cricket coverage.

As to the line-up, if that Sunday Telegraph report is correct - Fox’s team is far better by a country mile.

You would think that while there might be a bit of crossover, they would also hire some people just to do BBL & the WBBL/women’s matches

2 Likes

Uh oh!! Dangerous. These two render the coverage unwatchable.