Seven Cricket Coverage

Yes - Ed would be good. He’d certainly add some credibility.

Wise choice - I didn’t think of him.

Just on a side note, can anyone imagine what it would’ve been like for Seven to lose coverage of any summer sport (cricket, tennis). What would happen to them? Lost revenue meaning even more losses instead of revenue every year, no viewers until February?

Feels like Seven’s coverage has been the way it is because they just wanted a Summer sport for promotion, not because they genuinely wanted cricket.

Which comes right back to when the rights were up, cricket Australia didn’t need Fox/seven but seven/fox needed cricket…

How much rev are seven losing when they have a 1/3 less of the viewers than Nine did and paid more?

Of course they will make a loss considering the games aren’t even exclusive.

But the question is, if they didn’t have any Summer sports wouldn’t they go broke because absolutely no one will be watching them?

Depends on what they’re offering. If it’s good viewing, people will watch.

2 Likes

Maybe it would’ve been wise for Seven to not have gone for cricket and go for the same audience 10 is currently aiming for? Difference is they have a much more solid base than 10.

Still, either way without the tennis Seven is going to continue to bleed money, with or without cricket coverage.

And this is how they are selling it. “It’s above expectations” so how low were they thinking they would be? :thinking:

3 Likes

Francis Leech said the TV viewership was 3.4 million on the first day.

Was this correct?

Classic sales tactic, undersell and ‘over’ deliver. Makes their marketing easy when they claim it’s above expectations!

Cricket Australia sent out a media release along these lines. Using ‘reach’ figures.

5 Likes

The average audience number for the 5 metro city market was posted under Thursday’s ratings. Seven is looking to a variety of other number in their ratings PR. That 3.4 million number would have been the national reach - number of people who viewed some part of their coverage (usually for 1 minute).

They also have recently started taking about the audience share across the entire day (as opposed to prime time) as well as commercial network share (just counting 7, 9 and 10).

These are all numbers that are rarely mentioned and members can feel free to ignore or scoff at such media releases. However, they certainly have a story to tell, but these numbers vary from what OzTAM publishes and allows us to publish.

Another example, I noted a tweet on Thursday “7 Network +13% broadcast audience compared to same time last year”. The (prime time) audience share on that Thursday was Seven 27.2%, Nine 32.0%. The same day last year the shares were Seven 28.1% and Nine 27.0%. So perhaps Seven were talking about some other “same time” - the whole week perhaps, or day time, or all day or perhaps number of viewers; the tweet didn’t say.

BTW, Nine also used “cumulative audience reach” when summarising their cricket ratings performance for each Test in 2017.

(Apologies for the Media Spylaining).

4 Likes

while I can’t watch fox 4k at the moment…
hd home run proving its worth :slight_smile:

2 Likes

got to say while I watch seven’s coverage -

mel mclaughlin has to stfu and stop talking over every person she is with…

easily not good enough to be the main host.

2 Likes

Seven apparently missed showing live Nathan Lyon’s hat-trick ball. Not good.

Poor effort.

I think they will get their expectations for the next test. If Australia lose this expect viewers to quickly lose interest.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that they have changed the scorecard to the more conventional style. After viewer backlash perhaps?

3 Likes

Looks good with their graphics.

1 Like

disagree completely

just because Australia doesn’t win doesn’t mean cricket fans piss off…
those that do aint fans…

this has been a brilliant game…

yea I want Australia to win… but we can’t win them all…
this isn’t the 90’s/2000

India have played brilliantly.

they also don’t have a ill conceived top order doing useless shots.

finch should be 6…

top order also shouldn’t being playing useless shots chasing 350…
play balls on their merits… they will chase the runs easily.

6 Likes

Sydney hasn’t gone to news.

Either has Melbourne.