Seven Cricket Coverage

Anyone else think it’s odd how Brayshaw has the pleasure of being a host but is also one of the callers? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Okay, there might not be a huge array of cricket callers available for full time test cricket television.

But surely there would’ve been a couple of other options, to loosen up Brayshaw for host only? Especially as his commentary seems to divide many.

You think Brayshaw needs a two hour break to prepare for the next hosting spot? Richie Benaud coped with the pressure.

1 Like

No, Benaud and Nicholas didn’t have any problems. I’m curious as to why they need bother with a separate at host anyway.

1 Like

Is this a question that requires an answer?

I was questioning why/if Brayshaw needs to commentate at all.

1 Like

Note Tim Lane and Glenn McGrath are also calling the test for Macquarie Sports Radio, while Gillespie will provide special comments for ABC Radio.

2 Likes

Right.

1 Like

Does Test cricket need ball-by-ball commentators? I hope they still let them talk about the game and not just ‘call’ it.

I can also imagine Mel getting really bored during the day without her involved in commentary

1 Like

Wouldn’t want to prognosticate. Have to just wait and see :slight_smile:

Edit

In regards to Seven’s opting for a play-by-play approach like say AFL/NRL, perhaps part of their own new ID for cricket? Back to traditional radio roots? I actually prefer it.

Nine’s chatter/locker room banter style in recent years is what got them into the shit!

1 Like

I know there’s a general dislike of ‘play by play’ commentators here, which I can understand to an extent but it’s only a marginal change from the previous at Nine. They always had a lead man/anchor in the box, whether you noticed it or not.

5 Likes

Being paid big dollars to sit in a corporate box watching a sport that she’s hugely passionate about, yep she really drew the short straw here.

Host is the biggest role of all, your face on camera, ad lib a lot of the time or memorise script pointers (unless there’s an autocue which is uncommon on live sport).

Mel is competent enough, though some here (namely @cmo) have criticised her live hosting in recent times at Olympics/Winter Olympics/Aus Open. She was notably shafted for Comm Games wasn’t she?

Hamish must be pretty pissed one would imagine :wink: Though he’s probably sitting back saying “well Mel, I’m a shoe in for Tokyo 2020 night time” lol

Perhaps you’re over thinking things just a little.

3 Likes

Very interesting piece on how 7 are approaching cricket broadcasting with a lot of new information.

6 Likes

Has there ever been a more lacklustre build up to a cricket season like this year? Hardly any buzz. Hopefully CA suffer because of all this mess they’ve created with rights and the culture of the cricket team.

2 Likes

Twitter is not going to be kind, particularly to James Brayshaw. Barham is obsessed with ball-by-ball.

Fantastic article. Anyone know of this “Southbank production office” as referred to in that article? Says they’ve already had rehearsals, a mock set, etc. Also sounds like Barham is still doing interviews and involved, despite a report he’s taken extended leave. Maybe his role is more supervisory/in the office? This Chris Jones is the operational EP by the sounds of it.

I haven’t investigated how streaming will work with this deal. Can Seven’s coverage be streamed on 7Plus or will it need to be through the Cricket Australia website/app?

It will be interesting to have two sources to choose from with the Foxtel coverage as well.

I’m going to have a guess and say it won’t be on 7Plus. CA wants all the revenue it can. Remember - they are greedy bastards who did the deal in the middle of a cock-up. They want you on Foxtel or Kayo Sports.

2 Likes

could someone post the article on here copy and paste. i cant see the article for some reason

I’d blame Cricket Australia for this. Fox and CA are corrupt and should be investigated. Seven is merely a puppet of Fox in this scenario, so it isn’t 100% their problems given that they have been used by Fox in the wake of losing tennis.

5 Likes