Seven Cricket Coverage

I think it’s just a way of letting Bruce (the long time ‘face’ of Seven Sport after all) be part of the cricket coverage.

1 Like

Why?

That seven commentary line up really is sub par apart from a couple of decent ones. Viewers won’t be pleased with this cornucopia of misfits and failed sportscasters.

2 Likes

I’m expecting a barrage of complaints on social media about the commentary and coverage for 7.

4 Likes

HD is an outdated format and isn’t a selling point when Foxtel has it in 4K.

1 Like

And no doubt also about Nine’s Tennis coverage, knowing what social media is like these days.

4 Likes

If and when 4K becomes the standard format in the broadcasting industry, I’ll agree.

But for now, MPEG2 SD at 720x576 stretched to 1024x576 - that’s an outdated format (albeit one that will have to be phased out slowly)!

Probably.

From what I’ve seen, both Seven & Nine are equally loathed by social media.

2 Likes

Well, older people still make up the bulk of the population (and ratings) and most of them probably don’t even know what 4K is :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That list is (as the great late Darrell Eastlake would say) is HUGE.

That’s not a commentary team, that’s a commentary committee!!

I have not heard many of these commentate before, will be interested to see/hear what they are like.

2 Likes

I think my TV would blow up :joy:

1 Like

As all cricket fans know, the final session of each day’s play in a test match often goes overtime due to rain or slow over rate. However, Seven has not scheduled any overruns on 7TWO or 7mate. Does it mean for Sydney and Melbourne viewers without Foxtel, it will be back to the 1980s and 1990s when we have to find out the stump scores during the 6pm news?

It annoys me a little that India attempted to reinvent the game with T20 but are all uptight about the night Test matches.

6 Likes

Very unlikey. It’ll be in an ad hoc basis as it was with Nine.

1 Like

I agree with Frankie’s post above. Play is scheduled to finish at 5:30pm and I’m pretty sure that play can only be extended for half an hour after the scheduled finish time in most cases.

1 Like

I take it the current rights still probhit Seven (like with Nine) from switching to news bang on 6pm and shoving cricket to a multichannel?

First Test is an 11am EDT start, so stumps is scheduled for 6pm, can overrun to 6.30pm. I believe the 1st Test is the only one that has this issue. Also means they’re trotting out a 60 min pre play bit, way too long.

2 Likes

9 used to put the cricket to Gem all the time before CA moved to 10.30am EDT starts!

1 Like

That’s what I am concerned about. Seven needs to be more flexible in its programming if the cricket finishes late, even reducing the length of the news in Sydney and Melbourne if required.

The news has no need to be 60 mins anyway personally! Full of fluff, much prefer a tighter 30 min bulletin. Unfortunately, news is the highest rating thing in most schedules. But, yeah, I’d be doing a 30 min Vic/NSW/Tas bulletin those nights.

8 Likes

Agreed. And according to our Brisbane MS members, Nine News Brisbane is particularly ‘fluff’ this year and looks to have contributed to them losing the ratings year!

2 Likes