Seven Cricket Coverage

I saw the feature length version of The Test tonight. Fascinating documentary. The question is why the condensed version concentrated so much on the 2019 Ashes series? Why did it skip over the ICC World Cup that was held before the Ashes? I would like to see the synopsis for the eight episodes.
Also, it was strange that stenographers recognised Shane Warne when doing the captions for the TV commentary but didn’t know the rest of the Sky Sports team (Mike Atherton, David Lloyd, David Gower, Isa Guha, Michael Holding, Ricky Ponting etc.).

2 Likes

I watched it too.

Seven would like us to forget about 50 over cricket given the shirty deal they’ve done :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t think that was Seven’s idea. Could it have been the producers’ decision?

1 Like

Think you missed the

3 Likes

Great documentary tonight on The Test. Amazon Prime has the full 8-part version

The Amazon version is a million times better than the shit that has aired on seven

2 Likes

Wasn’t hard to achieve given that the Seven version is just a montage of various parts of the documentary instead of the documentary played out in full.

1 Like

I don’t know what all this fuss is about! It has been on fox and Kayo for a few weeks now!

A FTA Primetime premiere is always going to get more eyeballs and discussion.

6 Likes

SWM could take Cricket Australia to the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA) as soon as this week, to have an independent expert rule on the value of its cricket broadcasting rights.

This really runs the risk of them looking like idiots for overpaying in the first place.

3 Likes

Warburton doesn’t have that reputation to protect. Can blame it on Worner.

1 Like

True. But reputational risk and for shareholders it wouldn’t be a great look.

1 Like

According to The Australian:

It is understood that last week CA offered Seven a discount “in the vicinity of 20 per cent” on its annual fee of $75m, but the network deemed that the estimated $15m cash reduction “wasn’t nearly enough” given the “unacceptable adjustments” to this summer’s cricket program.

2 Likes

Do Seven want a reduction on this year only? Unlikely CA will let them have a reduction for next year, given the Ashes taking place.

2 Likes

It seems like both Seven and Fox want reductions on the value of the overall agreement

Yes which is in alignment with AFL/NRL discounted deals

“Unacceptable adjustments”

Sure - I really wanted to see that test against Afghanistan - but this is again absolutely disingenuous from Seven.

4 Likes

They’ve effectively already done this by writing the value down as an onerous contract in their financial statements

4 Likes