Seven Cricket Coverage

Was never going to happen. Cricket Australia were only wanting to deal with fox who in turn poisoned them against dealing properly with ten. Fox seem to have all sports organizations over a barrell in this country. Some one needs to break them and their business model. It cannot be allowed to continue. It would be unheard of in some countries.

3 Likes

Optus is trying but through their own stupidity got it messed up and News Crop was quick on the press to hammer them, the issue is no one wants to take on Fox Sports after what happened recently with Ten with ONE HD and earlier on with Seven and C7.

Nine claim to be leaders but follow, and ABC and SBS are at the mercy of the most shambolic Commonwealth Govt this country has seen since well the last one. while Seven tries its does things that are head scratching at best leaving everyone else saying “I don’t want my Foxtel”.

It would be awesome if Fox Sports was offered as a stand alone service, it wont happen while the old man and his two boneheaded sons are around as that would mean the end of Foxtel (not a bad thing as linear themed pay TV channels are all but finished), if thee idiots at Surry Hills were smart they would of PUSHED hard for FTTP instead of abusing their power through print, radio and TV saying its not needed but idiots will be idiots, wait that includes the idiots in Commonwealth Govt and ACMA.

/end rant.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ktrimpie/status/1019146433008549888/photo/1

Seven obviously played a big part in the scheduling of BBL next season. Most night matches will start earlier at 7.15pm AEDT, after Seven News in Sydney and Melbourne. How it affects the Queensland schedule remains to be seen. Also when the new season of My Kitchen Rules premieres on the last week of January 2019, BBL matches on Tuesday and Wednesday will be on Fox Cricket only.
There are at least two big changes: Seven will only show one Saturday match during the season (Strikers v Scorchers at Alice Springs on February 9). The grand final on Sunday February 17 will be an afternoon clash starting at 2.45pm AEDT leading into Seven’s primetime schedule in Sydney and Melbourne.
There are also a few late night matches which are Scorchers home games starting between 9.15pm and 9.45pm AEDT. At least WA fans can get their share of night matches.

A Day Night Test match between Australia v Sri Lanka will clash with a few cricket matches. The Test match will be shown on the primary channel nationwide, while the Big Bash matches Scorchers v Thunder, Stars v Heat, Scorchers v Renegades will be probably beamed live on 7mate.

I don’t understand why Cricket Australia deliberately schedules BBL matches at the same time as the day/night test. Since the BBL began CA tried very hard not to schedule matches on days when ODIs involving Australia were held, and only on evenings after the conclusion of play of Melbourne and Sydney tests.

6 Likes

The exclusive games on Fox are scattered throughout the season, as it turns out.

Surely that is wrong - I can’t imagine there being a Stars v Thunder game at Metricon Stadium - makes no sense.

Also, those start times for some of the Perth games are crazy - Seven think they are going to get ratings with a game starting at 9:40pm? Surely that’s the sort of thing that should be a Fox game?

The schedule in general seems to undo so many of the things the BBL did well - so many night games - rather than the more family friendly twilight games. Ten gave them the flexibility to start at 6pm - which is far better for people getting home at a decent time.

3 Likes

My guess would be that 7 news will have an earlier start time on those nights (or they will push the cricket to the multi channel and keep the news on the main one)

According to CA website, there is a cricket triple header on Boxing Day this year: the first day of the MCG test against India, followed by two matches at Perth Stadium: Scorchers v Strikers in the BBL (7.15pm AEDT) and Scorchers v Heat (10.45pm AEDT) - a 15 hour marathon. It will also be the first time a BBL game played as a curtain raiser to a WBBL game. All three matches will be shown live on Fox Cricket and Seven.

1 Like

Absolutely f**k all scheduling. CA seriously has no sense of credibilty after signing this new deal.

Fox must be laughing their heads off because not only have they become involved in messing up Australia’s national sport, but also messing up the media landscape in this country.

I would’ve personally preferred Ten to take everything or if CA wants two networks, a Seven/Ten deal would surely do it (seeing that it stays on FTA exclusively and will bring new blood to the stale coverage on Nine, plus Seven had once shared the AFL with Ten, so it wouldn’t be anything new).

5 Likes

Money money money… Trumps theme or ABBA or even Pink Floyd take your pick, it all BS as it walks.

1 Like

The 2 Perth games actually start after the close of play in the Test.

Well Ten only have themselves to blame.

Good that Perth are getting some proper night games. It shouldn’t all be scheduled to cater to Sydney/Melbourne times.

2 Likes

Ten and Nine offered $900 million for the next cricket rights but CA said it was too low, it insisted on $1 billion and wanted Foxtel to be involved. So CA should cop the blame.

2 Likes

Then add to that ten offered 960millipn without nine and cricket Australia still said no. They wanted fox. 40m less for full free to air as opposed to the bullshit we have now for the next 6 years. The mind boggles as to how the sport will wither and die because of this.

3 Likes

The season felt bloated last year and I think 14 matches each with only 8 teams will just make things too repetitive. Adding a 9th or 10th team - Canberra and then Gold Coast perhaps - would make a lot more sense long term instead of just repeating all the matches.

3 Likes

Well they only really wanted Foxtel for the money and push up the price. If Ten and/or Nine offered the $1 billion in the first place rather than “low ball” , CA would’ve accepted that bid.

Forgetting close to $200m.
Final figure $1.182B

The BBL fixture was officially released this morning, and it confirms Stars v Thunder match will be played at Gold Coast’s Metricon Stadium as one of two games at the same venue next season.