Seven Cricket Coverage

Exactly. Ten seem to have higher production standards for a lot of big event TV - they were the network to revitalise Internatonal cricket coverage. CA stuffed it.

3 Likes

Sounds like something spoken from a true Nine fanboy :joy: (thankfully @Mitchell_Nock isn’t reading this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

I get that you hate Seven (and tbf, they have been pretty shit in terms of programming, news, and now sports), but the thing is it’s not good to jump straight to conclusions until you see the actual result. No one knows if Seven will actually ‘butcher’ the cricket, and neither will anyone know if Nine will be amazing with tennis, until we see the actual result that they produce.

I will definitely agree that their deal is rubbish simply because Fox is involved, but I suspect that’s going to become the norm for many sports in the future.

Nine hasn’t made any announcements with Tennis, so can’t really predict what their coverage will be like, It’s best if we don’t get ahead of ourselves.

Same can be said about Nine and their NRL, but let’s not get into it right now.

Last time the games were on Nine it was a pretty lousy effort with Foxtel being the saviour.

4 Likes

I agree. I’m a huge tennis fan and it just won’t feel the same with the WWOS treatment.

I’ll be very interested to see the team 9 puts together. Jim Courier for example has become a huge crowd favourite with his post-match interviews on Rod Laver. So it isn’t just the coverage that will suffer if he is not involved.

Todd Woodbridge has filled Bruce’s shoes impressively over the last 2 years.

Lleyton Hewitt has been a great addition to the commentary team over the last few years.

I’ve grown up with Johanna Griggs hosting the tennis.

I’ll reserve judgement until we know more. But it does make me nervous.

1 Like

Exactly, not to mention their AFL coverage.

Mind you, same can be said about Nine and their cricket and NRL coverage. This is why it’s good that cricket and tennis are swapping networks (hopefully NRL and AFL will swap sometime soon too).

5 Likes

their is hope as former Ten Sport manager is running it.

The one thing Seven does well is not self promote the sport they are covering at the time of coverage, they get on with the job (as in the sport they cover, they promote other things which irks people like the “after the tennis” promotions) unlike Nine which everything has to be about Nine or its nothing.

NIne & 9Now … two big evils in broadcasting right now.

As for Fox Sports, the less said the better, cricket won’t win them over new subs, the only way forward for Fox Sports is to be offered as a standalone subscription service, we all know that will never happen and if it did then it will be the death of Foxtel, the executives in Surry Hills will never let that happen.

I disagree. Seven’s tennis coverage was probably the most comprehensively covered sport on Australian TV outside of Comm/Olympic Games.

Coverage across 3 channels and the tennis app.

You can never please everyone but really, the audience was spoilt for choice.

3 Likes

I can see it now …

“watch some old 1960’s movie after the tennis on 9GEM” promotions … at least with 7mate they would play a decent action movie.

1 Like

Off-topic, but Seven had some very good elements to their tennis coverage, but also had quite a bit of dark spots which ruined their otherwise solid coverage. But that’s fairly normal across most sports broadcasts.

Heck, even Ten and their BBL coverage wasn’t perfect even though it was generally popular with the audience.

2 Likes

I hate nines coverage of rugby league.

I know we haven’t seen the coverage but I’m going to say irrationally and illogically that by the very virtue of the deal being shit the coverage will be shit. It will grate on me and bother me no end.

2 Likes

Let’s wait and see :wink: (or maybe we can see it for you so you don’t have to be annoyed :joy:)

Between poor commentator choices, constant promotion for upcoming programs and the advertising for alcohol + sports betting companies, can’t we all agree that most coverage of sport on Australian commercial free to air TV leaves a fair bit to be desired?

1 Like

right now everything they do.

The shameless self-promotion is annoying.

What I thought Seven did a fantastic job with was the apps, live streams, multiple feeds on broadcast. If Nine fail to follow this, watch the public backlash.

what irks me the most is why Nine does not allow freeview access to the streams instead of pushing people to there 9Now app and the forcing them to sign up for membership.

At least Seven allow viewers access via freeview app (for the most part). the good thing for many people (or bad depending on which side of the fence you are on) with Seven if you dont want to watch the cricket they will have alternative programming via 7plus / freeview since they did not get the streaming rights to the Cricket.

This is a plus or minus again depending on which side you take, meanwhile 9Now will be spammed with TENNIS as they are going with the 100% TENNIS mantra for everything starting 1 year also now they have the rights from Seven.

Big bash schedule now up on heraldsun website. It appears 7 will only broadcast one of the local derby games (Melbourne and Sydney) with Fox exclusively showing the other head to head match up.

Wow - Seven have made such a shit deal.

2 Likes

I really am worried Nine won’t use 9Go! to show an Aus Open feed, knowing how little (if at all) it’s used for live sport and rarely has breakaway programming, let alone their love for TBBT and movie re-runs.

Hopefully they’ll absolutely follow Seven’s model the past number of years and will use as much channels and 9Now with a section for all the courts, etc (I doubt they’ll make their own app, like Seven do for all their events).

Just like Seven will follow Nine / Ten’s (especially with Barham) cricket model.

Now you know why WIN did not kick in the extra $5 mill to secure the rights. /note: sarcasm

Yes very dodgy. Even if they had BBL exclusive then the deal would be even better.

Even better if Seven had the balls (and money) to go for everything exclusive (T20/ODIs included) and shut out fox. But pigs will fly before then.

Was never going to happen. Cricket Australia were only wanting to deal with fox who in turn poisoned them against dealing properly with ten. Fox seem to have all sports organizations over a barrell in this country. Some one needs to break them and their business model. It cannot be allowed to continue. It would be unheard of in some countries.

3 Likes