Seven AFL Coverage

I feel as though yesterday Basil was in Melbourne covering the Stakes Day. Nevertheless Why is Basil not wearing a tie?

1 Like

I believe it may be because

4 Likes

I’m all for getting rid of ties on sports coverage. Might look nice, but it’s Sport at the end of the day not an office or meeting. That look above should be the standard, not the exception. Perhaps with a blazer/jacket on cooler days.

6 Likes

The game is also a bit of fun, so you dont need the commentary team to be dressed up to the nines.

I agree with @OnAir though - you can still portray a professional image without the jacket and tie combo

3 Likes

The whole suit and tie thing is basically American style that is copied in Australia infrequently.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Yes, but Seven Sport are considered very male dominated and always dress in the Peter Jackson suits (their sponsor - one of the reasons a tie may be required)?

That’s how I’ve always seen it.

I ignore AFL fans who overly scrutinise and NRL fans who severely troll.

It’s 50 years and the players enjoy it.

Good for Aussie Rules fans to get behind an international rivalry, GAA vs AFL.

Nothing else on, it’s live sport, put your feet up and have a beer sort of thing.

Looking at the graphics colour scheme, I guessing this is sponsored by Bunnings?

5 Likes

They’ve got a different colour scheme for VFL/SANFL/WAFL footy as well with yellow/red.

3 Likes

The suit and tie in australia was following K. Packer - he told his staff at Nine, the men must wear ties. His though pattern was that you are guest in someone’s house, and when you go to someone’s house you dress up, for him this was a suite and tie.

1 Like

Speaking of which the VFL and SANFL have released their draws for next year. In the VFL (expanded with North Melbourne standing alone and Frankston basically replacing North Ballarat after a year off), there won’t be a TV game until Round 3 due to the Commonwealth Games. However the TV schedule for Rounds 3-12 have been released. There will be a couple of Sunday games as well as the regular Saturday games during the AFL Bye weeks.

ROUND 3: Collingwood vs Essendon (Victoria Park)
ROUND 4: Werribee vs Richmond (Chirnside Park, Werribee)
ROUND 5: Frankston vs Northern Blues (Frankston Oval)
ROUND 6: Port Melbourne vs Footscray (North Port Oval)
ROUND 7: Coburg vs Collingwood (Coburg City Oval)
ROUND 8: North Melbourne vs Box Hill (Chirnside Park)
ROUND 9: Sandringham vs North Melbourne (Trevor Barker Beach Oval, Sandringham)
ROUND 10: [Saturday] Casey vs Collingwood (Casey Fields), [Sunday] Williamstown vs Richmond (Point Gellibrand Oval, Williamstown)
ROUND 11: [Saturday] Port Melbourne vs Geelong (North Port), [Sunday] Williamstown vs Sandringham (Point Gellibrand)
ROUND 12: [Sunday] Box Hill vs Essendon (Box Hill City Oval) (The Saturday Game that week is unknown, possibly pending if Footscray vs North Melbourne will be played at Docklands or the Whitten Oval)

In the SANFL, there will be a game covered in Round 1 on Easter Weekend before the Commonwealth Games break, with no game on May 12 due to the state game vs WA. Just about all the games that I can see will again be on Saturday Afternoon

ROUND 1: Port vs Adelaide (Alberton)
ROUND 4: North vs Norwood (Prospect)
ROUND 6: South vs Central (Noarlunga)
ROUND 8: West vs Adelaide (Richmond)
ROUND 9: South vs Port (Noarlunga)
ROUND 10: Eagles vs Adelaide (Woodville)
ROUND 11: Norwood vs Glenelg (Norwood)
ROUND 12: Glenelg vs Eagles (Glenelg)
ROUND 13: Norwood vs Adelaide (Norwood)
ROUND 14: Sturt vs Norwood (Unley)
ROUND 15: Central vs Adelaide (Elizabeth)
ROUND 16: North vs Adelaide (Prospect)
ROUND 17 (Split round): [4/8] West vs Port (Richmond), [11/8] Central vs Norwood (Elizabeth)
ROUND 18: [18/8] Sturt vs West (Unley), [19/8] Port vs Central (Alberton)
Round 19 is a floating draw so the TV game will TBD

The WAFL Draw has been released, but TV games won’t be finalised until the new year.

I wonder if Fox will have all AFL games due to the Commonwealth Games

Won’t be an issue. Seven will show their quota as contracted.

1 Like

That will not be allowed to happen due to anti siphoning laws.

1 Like

I don’t understand why the VFL and SANFL games can’t be shown on 7TWO or live streamed on respective websites during the Commonwealth Games.

I’m sure during the Commonwealth Games, the AFL coverage will probably move to 7mate. Coverage of state-based leagues will probably also air there or on 7TWO.

1 Like

It’s probably safe to assume that 7, 7Two and 7mate will mostly be set aside for Commonwealth Games coverage during that period (except overnights and news/AFL commitments)

2 Likes

I was thinking 7Two,7Mate are used for when AFL/news conflicts.

The AFL today launched the fixture for next month’s AFLX competition, and confirmed all three days would be shown on Seven and its digital platforms. However, since AFLX will be held in the middle of Winter Olympic Games, I think 7TWO or 7mate will show all three days of AFLX live while the Olympics are on the main channel.

4 Likes

New ‘AFL on Seven 2018’ promos airing during the Australian Open.

The usual thing, with Bruce McAvaney V/O and “we just love the footy” tagline.

2 Likes