Seven AFL Coverage

It is. Didn’t you know? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Who is “The Hammer” ?

Is that Hamish McLachlan?

1 Like

The Hammer is indeed Hamish McLachlan

4 Likes

I reckon (being a qualifying final) Seven should’ve kept the ADE vs GWS game on 7mate for Sydney?

The Bachelor should easily beat it?

Sydney Swans absolutely correct decision though.

And if GWS make a Prelim (or even Semi) then main channel (as it was successful last year).

Thoughts??

Finals Week 1

Four huge games over three days to launch finals series

The Crows finished on top after shining in the home-and-away season and they host early season flag favourites the Giants on Thursday Night Football as both battle for a Preliminary Final berth.

Seven’s coverage will feature Giants star Josh Kelly talking about his form transformation that has been rewarded with his first All-Australian nod, while Crows skipper Taylor Walker talks about past years’ finals disappointment. Recently retired St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt will join the
commentary team.

The Tiger army will rise behind their charges in their quest to break a 13-game losing streak to the Cats and win a Preliminary Final appearance on Friday Night Football.

In the lead up to the bounce, both team coaches Damien Hardwick and Chris Scottjoin us live to preview the game.

The Swans are the first team to ever reach the finals after a 0-6 start and will host Saturday Football’s Elimination Final against the Bombers with confidence. The game could go down to the wire after a one-point thriller the last time these two met in Round 14.

Lance Franklin and Joe Daniher join us to talk about their finals form, while Hawthorn champion Luke Hodge joins the team in the commentary box.

Following the clash between the Swans and the Bombers, the Power and the Eagles face off at the Adelaide Oval for the second Elimination Final showdown. The winner of this clash will have the challenge of battling either Adelaide or GWS to keep their season alive.

On Saturday night, we talk to Port Adelaide captain and dual All-Australian Travis Boak about their finals campaign.

TV Broadcast times:

Wednesday 6 September
The Front Bar
Melbourne 8.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 8.30pm on Channel 7
Perth 8.30pm on Channel 7
Sydney Late night on 7mate
Brisbane Late night on 7mate

Thursday 7 September
Adelaide Crows v GWS Giants
Sydney 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.00pm LIVE on 7mate

Friday 8 September
Geelong v Richmond
Sydney 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.00pm LIVE on 7mate

Saturday 9 September
Sydney Swans v Essendon
Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 3.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles
Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

VFL: Semi-final – Casey v Richmond
Melbourne 12.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

Sunday 10 September
AFL Game Day
Sydney 10.00am LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 10.00am LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 10.00am LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 10.00am on Channel 7
Perth 10.00am on Channel 7

VFL: Semi-final – Melbourne v Footscray
Melbourne 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

SANFL: Semi-final – Sturt v Central Districts
Adelaide 12.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

SANFL: Semi-final – Woodville v Port Adelaide
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

WAFL: Subiaco v Peel
Perth 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

Monday 11 September
Talking Footy
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 7.30pm on 7mate
Perth 7.30pm on 7mate
Sydney Late night on 7mate
Brisbane Late night on 7mate

1 Like

First time The FB is on at 8.30 in perth

1 Like

Week 1 Final involving West Coast last year (also in prime-time) was on 7mate.

In Sydney tonight:
The AFL Footy Show airs at 11.42pm on Nine
The Front Bar is at 1am tonight (well… tomorrow morning)! On SevenMate.

Surely they could have aired these at an earlier time, considering there are two teams from Sydney playing in the Finals. I know having them air live is unlikely, but at least air them at a respectable time.

1 Like

The AFL would have pushed hard for main channel coverage. Even if the ratings are soft, it acts as a promotion for the upcoming finals and Grand Final. Besides, whatever else they would have aired instead (LOL / Worlds Worst going by Brisbane’s schedule) wouldn’t rate that much better anyway.

Also, there is no NRL game on Thursday night in direct competition which may have been a factor in the decision.

6 Likes

It may have part of a deal to enable 7 to go HD in Sydney and Brisbane earlier this year, by getting a few extra finals onto the main channel which involve the local teams. Obviously, Brisbane are not showing any final on 7 since no QLD teams.

@LukeMovieMan Thurs night should rate OK, but up against NRL Footy Show, Swans on Saturday will be tougher going up against Storm v Eels and Nine News, though you could argue they are more popular than GWS.

Nine Melbourne are also in the same boat with Storm on the main channel there too.

@yellow_sock Yes, I would like to see the AFL Footy Show live into NSW and QLD on 9Gem or 9Go all season … I can understand that Nine would be reluctant to do this when the NRL Footy Show is on at the same time, but I don’t see these two shows as cannibalising each other? As AFL fans in the “rugby states” probably wouldn’t be very interested in watching the NRL Footy Show?

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I’d argue.

And I don’t think the Melbourne Storm vs. Parramatta Eels final will affect the Sydney ratings for the Swans vs. Essendon final (as Swans fans will obviously be watching - it also airs longer and into prime-time, until around 7pm).

Also, Swans ratings on 7mate in Sydney have been impressive this year, around 10 games rated over 60k (a couple of weeks ago almost 100k).

So I’d be expecting close to 200k there?

Tomorrow probably 150k?

Personally, I think Seven and Nine are to be commended for showing finals matches of the lesser supported football codes (Swans/Giants in Sydney, the Storm in Melbourne) on the main channel.

4 Likes

My guess… Sydney numbers around 150k for both GWS and Swans.

Swans have the disadvantage of being up against the Eels game and Nine News, and most of it isn’t in prime time. And a fair number of potential viewers will be at the SCG and be out and about on a Sat late arvo - early evening.

GWSs main competition is the NRL Footy Show. And it’s Prime time Thurs, more people at home watching TV and it’s an away game, so not many at the game.

2 Likes

True.

The hyped “historic” Sydney vs. GWS Qualifying Final at ANZ Stadium last year only got 150k something on Ch 7 (albeit during afternoon & big over 60,000 at the ground).

Seven commentary teams for Week 1 Finals:

•ADE v GWS:
Bruce McAvaney, Brian Taylor, Leigh Matthews, Nick Riewoldt & Mark Soderstrom.

•GEEL v RICH:
Bruce McAvaney, Brian Taylor, Wayne Carey, Cameron Ling & Matthew Richardson.

•SYD v ESS:
Hamish McLachlan, Jason Bennett, Luke Hodge & Jude Bolton

•PORT v WCE:
Basil Zempilas, Luke Darcy, Matthew Richardson & Mark Soderstrom

not really sure I agree with all of Seven’s decisions there, also treating Sat arvo like rubbish & Watto is MIA it seems

A rare sight in NSW… the 7HD logo on the AFL.
Picture quality is sooooo much better than on 7mate (SD only obviously).

But I did see something unusual …a sea of empty seats in the upper left of the following screenshot when all other stands look pretty full… This was taken just before the opening bounce… does anyone know why this is so at Adelaide Oval?

3 Likes

Someone on social media in regional WA said the picture quality is very grainy?

I believe that’s via GWN7?

@WAtvVideos @WATV @Squee

It happens at all venues. Patrons may still be coming in or are eating below the stands before the opening bounce.

1 Like

But for so many empty ones to be together like that is quite odd?

You’d think they’d be a bit more scattered.

It’s common in finals where tickets are sold as best available, do there’s no gaps for bags on seats or spreading across two. No season ticket holders who choose not to attend either.

1 Like

It’s on 7mate SD only in WA.

2 Likes