Seven AFL Coverage

Promo

8 Likes

Umm there is another game in opening round too… suns v tigers

1 Like

Promo is for Melbourne. That game is Queensland only; haven’t seen a Queensland promo yet.

1 Like

This means Queensland will get the entire Opening Round on free-to-air!

1 Like

Nope, I’m pretty sure they won’t get GWS v Collingwood

According to this post by @TV.Cynic

AFL website as well

Why would they promote a Fox exclusive?

2 Likes

I can see 7 using Pearce for the analyst role when they are in Perth but that’s only 2 games in the first 16 rounds

2 Likes

Another online footy show for 7 (not a new show but new to 7 I think)

https://x.com/7afl/status/1764884180205527470?s=46

1 Like

According to this article, The Field podcast has been associated with Seven since 2022.

1 Like

This only goes to show that Seven isn’t committed to improving the standard or quality of their AFL coverage when it comes to developing new content that fans will engage with. While a non-rights holder is slowly building their coverage across their schedule, Seven is just rehashing old concepts and continuously relying on the game’s history to gain or retain viewers. Even Fox Footy has a better supporting line-up of programs.

4 Likes

Is Gary O’Keeffe still EP of 7AFL? Pretty sure he’s helmed it since the 2012 broadcast deal or thereafter. Originally from Perth. I think before him it was actually Seven Sport doyen of 7Olympics notoriety who recently retired as ADS MD Andy Kay who oversaw since getting back rights in 2007. I think Lewis Martin needs to freshen up the management and production teams. Get some new vision and direction. New blood for this modern era of telecasting, with streaming and social media especially.

1 Like

Not exactly happy with their line up but that should be expected considering it’s a pay for dedicated channel.

2 Likes

According to Herald Sun, Seven’s commentary line-up for 2024 will be:
Thursday: Brian Taylor, Alister Nicholson, Erin Phillips, Joel Selwood, Dale Thomas and Abbey Holmes
Friday: Brian Taylor, James Brayshaw, Luke Hodge, Matthew Richardson and Abbey Holmes
Saturday night: Luke Darcy, Jason Bennett, Jobe Watson, plus rotation of Shaun Burgoyne, Nathan Jones, Cameron Ling, Chris Johnson
Sunday afternoon: will be a mix of the above

The Thursday line-up won’t become a permanent fixture until after Gather Round with a heavy rotation of commentators through the first month of the season because of the fixture. West Coast AFLW coach Daisy Pearce is unlikely to feature on Seven’s coverage until the second half of the year.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-commentary-teams-2024-alister-nicholson-to-partner-brian-taylor-on-channel-7-tv-and-radio-lineups-revealed/news-story/f899977af3fbb703a30f0a5d03ec421b

5 Likes

i thought it would it make sense for Daisy to feature in the first half of the season & then she can focus on coaching the Eagles AFLW team without having too many commentary commitments?

AFLW starts during the finals bye & I assume the pre season training etc would start around R18-19 of the men’s AFL season.

4 Likes

I presume that there aren’t any Perth games being hosted by Seven within the first half

3 Likes

2 games in the first 16 rounds.

R7 & R11

1 Like

Interesting point. On the NFL coverage all games are promoted regardless of host network.

E.g. during a Fox national broadcast game they will mention, “later today, Bills at 49ers, 4pm ET on CBS”

2 Likes

Same with the NBA

1 Like