Seven AFL Coverage

They’ve always done this during their news bulletins, even if a Fox Sports produced game, showing what is/was usually a generic Seven Sport watermark, most likely pasted on a clean feed which they’d have access to as rights holder (like Foxtel have access to Seven’s clean) and ingest the footage for newsrooms nationally.

However, more recently, Seven News have started using a generic (they use the old 2015 Fox Footy watermark) on footage I think from games not simulcast anywhere (i.e.) two Vic teams and not produced by Seven - maybe Foxtel and/or AFL got unhappy with them using “7” watermarked footage when it was never brosdcast anywhere by them.
Also, in years gone by, you’d often see the blue “7mate” sport watermark on their news and current affairs programs, such as Sunrise, but this was most likely from a Sydney dirty feed/as broadcast and recorded. ABC News also do this (take as broadcast recordings from Sydney).

During the 2007-2011 deal, Ten would always show Seven games clean with the Ten sport watermark and vice-versa Seven Ten’s. I think this was the first era of clean feed play-out (digital, HD and widescreen by then too) and as Fox Sports would always immediately replay their games after final siren - Seven and Ten would record a 5min opener just for the Foxtel replays.
Whereas during the 2002-2006 deal, it appears for the most part, watermarks are burned-in to archival footage (such as Ten and Nine’s old sport wartermarks back then on the AFL), did the original Fox Footy channel back then also air Ten and Nine’s games after they finished and I’m guessing they provided Foxtel with clean vision)? It could simply be because Seven lost the rights during this time and were out of the AFL broadcast ecosystem, the archival footage from then they air now is just what they recorded and it’s easier than sourcing the official clean footage from the AFL - it’d be interesting to see old tapes used during Ten News and Nine News / Footy Show and see what vision they use and say if any are clean compared to Seven.

1 Like

5 Likes

From what I have seen, the only time 7 uses the fox logo on their news is if it was a Fox exclusive game featuring 2 Melbourne teams

5 Likes

Looks like it’s not the usual Sunday commentary line up for 7 today, probably given the ‘blockbuster clash’

It’s Taylor & Brayshaw instead Bennett

4 Likes

Yep, both Friday night anchors/callers BT and JB, even veteran Tim Watson (not required for Seven News sport duties as it reverted back to Mon-Fri tradition instead of Sun-Thur like trialled on/off years ago but something Sydney have stuck with).

I think Sydney and Melbourne newsrooms (including national news shows) are always like-for-like, but I wonder what other local bulletins like Seven News Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth do, especially for a local team - use pooled/network feeds/footage or go rogue and just record from their local signals as broadcast - which should be noticeable by who’s watermark, type used and if any, sort of what ABC News do.

1 Like

Watson seems to be doing a game every couple weeks this year, not sure how I feel about it

I don’t understand Ch7 and how they work their commentators. They make Bennett do VFL and AFL on the same day (happened last week), and have about 8 who can cover their 6 slots (3 games x 2). Hopefully in 2025 they can reset their stocks a bit, they seem to be stuck with a few legacy contracts (Hamish McLachlan, Luke Darcy) they can’t get rid of.

1 Like

They only have 5 main pbp callers with BT, Brayshaw, Darcy, Hamish, Bennett & Nicholson (part time?)

Thursday: Brayshaw & BT x3 & Hamish & Nicholson x2
Friday: Brayshaw & BT
Saturday: Hamish & Darcy (Nicholson when Bulldogs play)
Sunday: BT & Bennett x3, Darcy & Bennett x3

I also don’t understand why they have Bennett do VFL & leave at HT to get to the AFL game when they can have him do Saturday night or even Thursday like year (which I think might of been their way of introducing him into permanent role?)

Week commencing 28 May 2023

Sunday 28 May
Sydney

Melbourne
12:00 PM VFL Rnd 10: Geelong v Port Melbourne
02:40 PM AFL Pre-Game
03:00 PM AFL Rnd 11: Collingwood v North Melbourn

Brisbane
04:30 PM AFL Rnd 11: Adelaide v Brisbane 7Mate

Adelaide
12:30 PM AFL Rnd 11: Richmond v Port Adelaide
03:30 PM The Crows Show
04:00 PM AFL Rnd 11: Adelaide v Brisbane
06:00 PM AFL Rnd 11: Adelaide v Brisbane 7Mate

Perth
02:00 PM 2023 WAFL23 Rnd 7: West Coast v East Perth
05:00 PM Seven News At 5
05:30 PM The Game

Friday 2 June
Sydney, Brisbane
07:00 PM AFL: Friday Night Countdown 7Mate
07:30 PM AFL Rnd 12: Melbourne v Carlton 7Mate
10:30 PM AFL Post Game 7Mate
11:00 PM Armchair Experts 2023 7Mate

Melbourne
07:00 PM AFL: Friday Night Countdown 7Mate
07:30 PM AFL Rnd 12: Melbourne v Carlton
10:30 PM AFL Post Game
11:00 PM Armchair Experts 2023

Adelaide
06:30 PM AFL: Friday Night Countdown 7Mate
07:00 PM AFL Rnd 12: Melbourne v Carlton
10:00 PM AFL Post Game
10:30 PM Armchair Experts 2023

Perth
05:00 PM AFL: Friday Night Countdown 7Mate
05:30 PM AFL Rnd 12: Melbourne v Carlton 7Mate
08:30 PM AFL Post Game 7Mate

11:20 PM Armchair Experts 2023 7Mate

Saturday 3 June
Sydney
06:30 PM AFL Pre-Game 7Mate
07:00 PM AFL Rnd 12: Western Bulldogs v Geelong 7Mate
10:30 PM AFL Post Game 7Mate

Melbourne
06:30 PM AFL Pre-Game Pre-Game: Western Bulldogs v Geelong 7Mate
07:00 PM AFL Rnd 12: Western Bulldogs v Geelong
10:30 PM AFL Post Game
11:00 PM TBA
12:05 AM Movie: The Favourite

Brisbane
07:30 PM AFL Rnd 12: Gold Coast v Adelaide 7Mate

Adelaide
04:00 PM AFL Rnd 12: Port Adelaide v Hawthorn
06:00 PM Seven News
07:00 PM AFL Rnd 12: Gold Coast v Adelaide

Perth
2:30 PM - 5:30 PM AFL Rnd 12: West Coast v Collingwood

04:30 PM AFL Pre-Game 7Mate
05:00 PM AFL Rnd 12: Western Bulldogs v Geelong 7Mate
08:30 PM AFL Post Game 7Mate

2 Likes

Looks like SCG centre circle doesn’t have things like Coles centre circle & this rounds indigenous painted on.

Saw it 2 weeks ago on Fox too

1 Like

Coles gave up their sponsorship space for the SDNR.

1 Like

Noticed in recent weeks that long-time Seven Sport/7AFL wardrobe sponsor Peter Jackson has been replaced by Mountain Designs. Only other I can think of apart from them would be Gant, including during their ‘Summer of Tennis’.

2 Likes

Yep, the groundstaff don’t like things painted on the centre, so it’s done virtually.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess because the centre is also the pitch for cricket

1 Like

But the SCG is a drop in, so I don’t know why.

The SCG is still a permanent pitch.

3 Likes

Ah, that makes sense then.

The centre circle at the SCG degrades in quality quite quickly (a by-product of being in the centre square for cricket), the amount of traffic it gets makes it difficult to keep the grass cover up.

The SCG doesn’t have the required infrastructure to support a drop-in pitch too - there is no way to get one in and out of the ground (and various works on the stands was done on the basis that there wouldn’t be one in the future)

2 Likes

Should just knock the whole thing down and rebuild it with a roof :wink: then you can keep the NY Test.

1 Like

I think playing Test cricket under a roof changes the fabric of that game too much as natural elements like the wind and cloud has an effect on the red ball with pace bowling.

Not sure about AFL though.

1 Like

Difference for Tassie is their roof will be see-through. Marvel is alright but they should play footy in the sun where possible.

1 Like