Seven AFL Coverage

Yeah I know about that but I mean that normally the WC v RICH or COLL game gets a FTA run.

Given the coronation would likely start around 8pm AEST or thereabouts, it does sound like a “7mate for everyone” thing that night - although it’s not like those who watch Seven’s sport coverage aren’t already used to that, at least.

4 Likes

The 2018 wedding of Harry and Meghan was on a Saturday during the AFL season that year with footy on 7mate same with this year’s Federal Election.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Wow. quite a bit of my Suns being featured!!!

I hope this season, 7 utilises Nicholson a bit more like they used Bennett in 2022.

5 Likes

Interesting 1980s hit, What a Feeling, being used, albeit a different version.

4 Likes

It’s a bit odd to contrast in-game stadium crowds genuinely cheering with (dare I say average) re-enactments for the promo.
I don’t think the shots don’t work well together in the promo, it has an odd mismatched energy.

1 Like

Gotta get the quota out of the way early :man_shrugging: :wink: :joy:

2 Likes

Seven congratulates Bruce McAvaney

Legendary broadcaster receives AFL Life Membership

The Seven Network is proud to congratulate Bruce McAvaney OAM on receiving Life Membership by the Australian Football League (AFL).

The most recognised, respected and loved sport commentator in Australia, Bruce is synonymous with major sporting events, particularly the AFL Grand Final, in which he called on 20 separate occasions throughout his stellar career.

Seven Network Managing Director, Melbourne, and Head of Network Sport, Lewis Martin, said: “I’ve had the privilege of working with Macca for more than 25 years. He is a legendary broadcaster and a legendary person. Macca’s dedication to his craft is unmatched, and everyone at the Seven Network has seen first-hand how greatly that has impacted his peers, and the next generation of callers, who respect him dearly. He is a broadcaster in a league of his own and has made a remarkable contribution to Seven, the sports media industry and Australian football. Well done, Macca.”

The AFL Life Membership achievement joins a long list of honours Bruce has received over the years, including the TV Week Logie Awards Hall of Fame (2022); the Kennedy Award for Outstanding Lifetime Achievement (2022); the Melbourne Press Club Lifetime Achievement Award (2020); Medal of the Order of Australia for service to sports broadcasting and to the community through charitable and sporting organisations (2002); induction into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame (also in 2002); the International Olympic Committee Media Award in 1989; and the inaugural TV Week Logie Award for Most Outstanding Sport Broadcaster in 1999.

9 Likes

Herald Sun is now reporting Seven has shelved the idea due to budgets, however there is a theory that Seven are “holding fire” until the new broadcast rights deal begins in 2025.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/media-street-channel-7-shelve-plan-for-new-afl-sunday-morning-panel-show/news-story/11ad32bc0802c62554301fb7383ebd0d

The Morning Show’s weekend highlights infomercials must be bringing in enough money that Seven don’t feel the need to pay for a new show.

4 Likes

I think you might be right there. The Morning Show highlights show is cheap to make, and it includes the riveting infomecials, which brings in some revenue for Seven. It’s a shame though that the “AFL Game Day” (or whatever it’s incarnation was meant to be) isn’t proceeding. Giving Nine’s Sunday Footy Show free reign.

7 Likes
1 Like

I’ve mentioned this last week - that Seven won’t even drop TMS on the weekend for live sport like the 12 hour Bathurst last weekend. Also horse racing starts at 12 noon in AEDT and could be shown live in Brisbane at 11am but instead Seven shows infomercials :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

That Herald Sun article saying they have no footy-based shows outside of the main coverage and The Front Bar is factually incorrect.

There is also Armchair Experts and Sunday Session.

11 Likes

The 2023 VFL fixture was announced this afternoon. The new season starts on Friday, March 24, and will feature a wildcard round on the weekend of August 26-27, at the end of the home and away season.

Seven’s first match for broadcast is expected to be Richmond v Northern Bullants on Sunday, March 26.

1 Like

ABC Radio’s Ben Cameron will chat with Bruce McAvaney on today’s Grandstand.

EDIT:

EDIT 2: the full interview

3 Likes

This is what the breakdown will most likely be (round 15 onwards TBC)
BHH: 1 game
CAR: 2 games
CAS: 2 games
COB: 1 game
COL: 2 games
ESS: 3 games
FOO: 2 games
FRA: 1 game
GEE: 3 games
NBL: 1 game
PTM: 2 games
RIC: 1 game
SAN: 1 game
WER: 1 game
WIL: 2 games

1 Like

(Pearce) will move from special comments on Friday nights to the same role on Thursday night broadcasts, which the AFL has increased.

Richardson will move from boundary riding duties to share the special comments role with ex-Hawthorn skipper Luke Hodge. Brian Taylor will continue to call the Friday night games with James Brayshaw.

Abbey Holmes, the former AFLW player, is likely to take up the boundary riding role for Friday nights in place of Richardson.

1 Like