Seven AFL Coverage

He host the Friday night countdown

It would be interesting to see how the speculation of a ‘Super Saturday’ on Foxtel (from 2025 onwards in the new media rights deal, meaning no Saturday games on Seven) would affect Seven’s commentary team.

If it means Seven show one less game per round (averaging out to 2.5 games on FTA each round), then I reckon that would mean one of the Saturday callers would have to be made redundant. I can’t see Seven losing Hamish McLachlan, so unfortunately Luke Darcy would probably be shown the door.

I could see something like this:

Thursday (0.5): Hamish and Jason Bennett
Friday: BT and James Brayshaw
Sunday: BT and rotating (such as Jason Bennett, Al Nicholson, Matt Hill etc.)

1 Like

There’s an AFL rights thread - please use that to keep this thread clean.

3 Likes

Today’s twilight clash between Western Bulldogs and Fremantle will be shown at 5.30pm on Seven in WA - the last of three Dockers games that will be shown on three hour delay on FTA in the state during the season.

4 Likes

Jon Anderson speculates in the Sunday Herald Sun that Brian Taylor and James Brayshaw have requested they call Thursday night matches next season, in addition to Friday nights. This would mean Taylor gives up Sunday afternoon calling duties.

1 Like

The ego of these two guys is incredible. I’d much rather have Jason Bennett on Thursdays as he actually focuses the call on the game itself.

7 Likes

I would like Jason Bennett & Alister Nicholson having minimum 1 game a round. Bennett is doing that mostly this season.

My potential line up would be

Thursday: Bennett & Hamish
Friday: BT & JB
Saturday (if no Fox super Saturday) : Nicholson & Darcy
Sunday: Bennett & BT or Bennett & JB

The less of the BT & JB combination the better.

1 Like

If BT and JB’s wish is granted, I think it would look something like this:

Thursday: Brayshaw and Taylor
Friday: Brayshaw and Taylor
Saturday: McLachlan and Darcy
Sunday: McLachlan and Bennett or Nicholson or Hill

3 Likes

If BT & JB has Thursday & Friday then I hope Fox gets their own commentary team.

1 Like

And fixed their current one.

Some of Fox’s callers like Dwayne Russell and Dermott Brereton aren’t any better sadly.
They do have a few stand out professionals like Anthony Hudson and Brenton Speed.

2 Likes

Darcy often does Sundays, in addition to Sat night

4 Likes

For next season & if 7 gets the new deal, I just want less of BT, JB & Hamish. Although Bennett & Hamish combination wasn’t too bad.

1 Like

Speaking of Jason Bennett, he posted this tweet at lunchtime today:
https://twitter.com/JasonBennettTV/status/1556466310682656768

He answered a fan’s question by saying he called the action at all three grounds on the weekend.

It was a quick dash from Frankston Sat arvo to Geelong Sat night, then straight to airport hotel & caught 1st flight to Brisbane yesterday. Home late last night.

2 Likes

It makes a huge difference compared with the Fox games which just don’t sound right.

7 Likes

I noticed an error saying the Bombers v Lions. The Bombers play the Port Adelaide on Sunday. Instead it should be called the Saints v Lions in the EPG.

1 Like

With AFLW starting in 2 weeks, has a broadcast guide been released yet?

1 Like

Not announced yet, but you’d assume 7 to handle the weekday/night games, and Fox to cover the Weekend matches.

1 Like

No Bennett this round in the AFL, did VFL, but Nicholson calling today

The advance guide provides some indication of which matches will be produced by Seven in the opening round.

A full broadcast schedule should be announced in a week’s time.

1 Like