Seven AFL Coverage

Far out, how poorly does the AFL rate these days? How is Seven’s investment even worthwhile?

1 Like

Remember Seven’s coverage of Saturday night matches are simulcast live and in HD on Fox Footy or Fox Sports, so it dilutes the FTA audience.

Also two mates on Saturday nights also.

Nah quite the opposite.

Going to be a ripper finals :grin:

I don’t think it helps that they have this week off. I am still looking forward to the finals though. Is your team in the finals this year? I always find that I have less interest when my team isn’t participating.

Yeah they are, and they were in the GF last year. Still, I’m pretty sure I’ve picked up some waning of interest - if it’s not the poor attendances league wide, or Subiaco specifically, or the TV ratings, then maybe it’s just not watching or reading 7West football propaganda any more.

I do think attendances have been down this year. In Adelaide it is football hype. So it is hard to not be interested in it. My team aren’t even in the finals. Adelaide has been hopping mad for AFL the last 4 years since the induction of Adelaide Oval. I can’t speak for Perth fans.

Yes I definitely agree, a general pick up in SA football despite a decline nationally.

I do wonder whether the AFL would consider a third SA based club. I dont think they would have trouble gaining fans and filling the stadium. Could even be a club that did some games in Darwin and Alice. Doubt it will ever happen though.

Port has been in major financial trouble until recently, there is no way 3 clubs in SA would be financially viable. If there was a third club, it would be Norwood, which would cannibalise the Crows supporter base.

Well that is because they didn’t get the benefits other clubs got when coming into the AFL. The Crows had benefits from the SANFL whereas Port Adelaide had to pay extra.

That would really piss off the Tasmanian supporter base after being told over and over they can’t support a team because of their population, a third SA team would put the supporter base about the same. 1 team for around 500,000 people.

I’d like to see Tasmania and NT become the next teams, some good footballers have come through from both placed.

1 Like

I agree. I just wondered if the AFL have considered it with the popularity in SA. I think Tasmania should definitely have a team. Even if it meant a team from Victoria permanently moving.

Bas and den will call Thursday night
Bruce and Den will call Friday night
Hamish and bas will do Saturday arvo footy
And Bt and Luke will call Saturday thanks to Basil Zempilas

3 Likes

And Thursday night’s game will be Dennis’s final call at Subiaco. Dennis is of course from WA

1 Like

According to Ch 7, Sydney are getting all finals on 7Mate?

Is this incorrect?

I would have thought (like previous years on Ch 7 / Ch 10), that they’d air it on the main channel, being that’s it’s the two Sydney teams and historic.

The Swans-Giants game is on both 7 and 7mate in Sydney according to guides. So perhaps they’ll simulcast games involving local teams and the Grand Final on both.

Isn’t this Saturday the first time in a few years that a Swans finals series game will be broadcast on the main channel in Sydney?

Will be very interested to see the ratings for this game in Sydney and Seven News in Sydney. is it fair to say Seven has never had AFL directly lead into Seven News in Sydney? I can’t recall it happening in the last 20 years.

2 Likes

###This Week in AFL on Seven: Finals

The Western Bulldogs welcome back some of their biggest names as they aim to knock off last year’s Grand Finalists West Coast in a sudden death final on Seven’s Thursday Night Football. Bulldogs favourite Bob Murphy joins us live in the pre-game. We also feature Eagles contested mark king Jeremy McGovern, along with Bulldogs playmaker Marcus Bontempelli.

Friday Night Football sees arch rivals Hawthorn and Geelong take to the field for their fourth finals match-up in eight years. It promises to be another epic encounter that will shape the finals series. Four-time premiership coach Leigh Matthews will be on hand to deliver his analysis and we speak with coaches Alastair Clarkson and Chris Scott in the pre-game build-up.

Adelaide will be aiming to spoil Boomer Harvey’s farewell tour on Saturday Night Footy, as the Crows and Kangaroos fight for survival in an elimination final. Lingy catches up with Crows superstar Rory Sloane who returns from suspension. BT, Darce, Richo, Sam Lane and Mick Molloy reveal their favourite moments of the year and we follow the Bulldogs finals road trip with inner sanctum access.

The Giants make their finals debut against cross town rivals Sydney in the biggest Battle of the Bridge ever on Saturday Arvo Footy. Emerging first year defender Aliir Aliir talks to us about his big family and reflects on his debut, while fellow Swans youngster Isaac Heeney reveals how surfing and meditation are helping him prosper at the elite level.

TV Broadcast times:

[color=color]Thursday 8 September[/color]
West Coast Eagles v Western Bulldogs (Domain Stadium, Perth)
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 7pm LIVE on Channel 7
Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 7mate

[color=color]Friday 9 September[/color]
Geelong Cats v Hawthorn (MCG)
Melbourne 7pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7pm LIVE on Channel 7
Sydney 7pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 7pm LIVE on 7mate
Perth 5pm LIVE on 7mate

[color=color]Saturday 10 September[/color]
Sydney Swans v GWS (ANZ Stadium)
Melbourne 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 2pm LIVE on Channel 7
Sydney 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7 and 7mate
Brisbane 2.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Perth 12.30pm LIVE on Channel 7 and 7mate

Adelaide Crows v North Melbourne (Adelaide Oval)
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6pm LIVE on 7mate, 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Sydney 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on 7mate

VFL Semi Final: Williamstown v Sandringham
Melbourne 11.30am LIVE on Channel 7

[color=color]Sunday 11 September[/color]
AFL Game Day
Hosted by Hamish McLachlan with Andrew Welsh, Brenton Sanderson and Daniel Giansiracusa
Guest: Paul Puopolo and Dennis Cometti
Melbourne | Adelaide | Perth 10am on Channel 7
Sydney | Brisbane 10am on 7mate

VFL Semi Final: Footscray v Essendon
Melbourne 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

SANFL Semi Final: Adelaide v South Adelaide
Adelaide 12pm LIVE on Channel 7

SANFL Semi Final: Eagles v Sturt
Adelaide 3pm LIVE on Channel 7

WAFL Semi Final: Subiaco v South Fremantle
Perth 3pm LIVE on Channel 7

[color=color]Monday 12 September[/color]