Seven AFL Coverage

It’s madness. Two non-Sydney teams on the main channel in primetime!? Has that ever happened before in Sydney?

5 Likes

I’d be willing to predict that contractual obligations with the AFL (“it’s either that or you make 7mate your HD channel for the day”) have something to do with Seven’s airing of the ANZAC Eve match on the main channel in Sydney & Brisbane.

2 Likes

Don’t think they did though for those markets - it was only Melbourne & Adelaide (which was understandable)

1 Like

Why pick that game though?

Wouldn’t ESS vs COLL tomorrow make more sense to mandate HD coverage as that’s a bigger game, though not in prime time.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see the ratings of tonight’s game in Sydney and Brisbane tomorrow morning. Will it be any higher than what it usually gets on 7mate? Probably not by that much.

Silly decision to air in those 2 cities. Tomorrow’s match should have been on the main channel.

It is odd though. I could understand GWS taking on Sydney being on the main channel, or the traditional Essendon vs Collingwood game tomorrow. But this is random.

@Underarm must be freaking out :wink:

3 Likes

We lived the nightmare of having 7mate as the MPEG4 HD channel for something like seven months (with a brief break for the Rio Olympics) in 2016 though! :wink:

3 Likes

Why is everyone making a big deal with this? As has been mentioned it’s non-ratings and the AFL probably suggested to Seven what better way to expose the code in the non-traditional markets (which I’m sure many would agree is a good thing, same goes for the NRL in the same scenario). As for tomorrow, it’s not prime time, so less exposure.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you would have programmed Futurama/Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad on the main channel and AFL on 7mate?

2 Likes

I would have thought that given that there’s no my kitchen rules tonight, 7 decided to shift the afl to HD in Sydney and Brisbane. This will give them exposure to the match.

2 Likes

Another factor probably was originally Seven might’ve just had more Border Security international or whatever planned for Sydney and Brisbane, so thought ‘well, that’s rated absolute crap, the AFL even if low will probably match it anyway’ LOL

2 Likes

Judging by last night’s ratings in Sydney & Brisbane (which have been posted elsewhere online, but I won’t be sharing here because our agreement with OzTam probably prevents us from doing so until tomorrow), they were so poor that Seven probably would’ve gotten better ratings with Border Security International or similar filler programming.

I can understand why Seven would air Swans vs Giants + any finals games featuring the local teams on the main channel in Sydney. But a game featuring two Melbourne teams which 99% of Sydneysiders couldn’t care less about should be on 7mate!

5 Likes

Even Swans/Giants on the main channel is a stretch. I notice they are getting more games on the main channel this year so the AFL must be really pushing Seven hard.

Surely that’s the lowest Seven has ever rated in Sydney in primetime.

More oddities with Seven’s AFL coverage.

COLL vs ESS Pre game is on BOTH the main channel and 7mate in NSW. Normally it’s 7mate only here.

2 Likes

I noticed my EPG bizarrely has “AFL Pre-Game” ending at 2:52pm?

I’m guessing Seven thought people in Sydney and Brisbane (especially fans of this band) will watch? What is scheduled on EPG on main channel from 2:52pm in Sydney and Brisbane?

3 Likes

There’s no Daily Edition in Sydney today due to public holiday.
So they showed the pre-game on Seven, then going to The Chase UK at 3pm? Showing ads from now until then?

2 Likes

This appeared

4 Likes

Can understand the pre-game airing on the main channel today since it had a bit of ANZAC Day related content (eg; the veterans motorcade) - it’s easy way to fill the void left by ‘The Daily Edition’ not airing whilst still being ‘relevant’ for viewers who wouldn’t normally watch AFL

3 Likes

Abbey Holmes was at Lathlain Park for a WAFL Match between Perth and East Perth.

1 Like

Looks like all afl games in Perth in prime time will in hd on ch 70
Last week’s Eagles game was and this Saturday’s. freo game is also in hd on Ch70

3 Likes