SEN (Radio)

Currently just regular programming on SEN Track/Fanatic, they could definitely have BBL there.

Ironic that the CA app is currently airing their main rival in the Tennis when you click on the SEN icon.

4 Likes

Classic non-answer

7 Likes

Not acceptable for the exclusive rights holder to what is still a top-tier domestic sporting event (even if not as popular as it was a few years ago). I’m pretty sure the ABC provides better coverage of the WBBL than SEN is providing for the BBL.

Given this is a station willing to devote resources to such broad and popular formats as SEN Track, and such events of national significance as local Gippsland football, it beggars belief why they can’t at least have a skeleton crew covering these games on their online platform.

5 Likes

USE SENTRACK!

2 Likes

Perhaps more money can be made with tennis. Having it just on the narrowcast station and dab doesn’t return enough revenue?

Or could be not enough resources for both? I love radio as I can wonder around go for a walk and listen at the same time, cricket is designed for radio. TV is great but harder to multitask.

Let the ABC do bigbash as well. Simple.

4 Likes

Is SEN also producing the AO Open radio station too? AO Open Radio goes out on 99.7FM during the tournament and can also be streamed.

I wonder if their resources are genuinely stretched due to BBL and Australian Open being on at the same time. That said, get in some temp technical staff and some sport journalism graduates, whatever it takes to get through.

4 Likes

No, AO radio is not produced by SEN (they only relay it).

Since 2009, AO Radio has been provided by Tennis Radio Network, a company owned by tennis media professionals with an extensive contacts book of writers, reporters and commentators, working in tandem with Genesis FX, a Victoria-based digital services company that provides all the technical and production input.

The only coverage they produce themselves is the evening session that goes out on 1116/1170/693 etc.

5 Likes

BBL back from tomorrow on SEN. I wonder if that was always the plan or is it due to complaints?

5 Likes

It’s not in their broadcast guide for tomorrow night as yet (just the Tennis and an NBL game depending on the market/station) so would suggest to me that this is a backflip.

Wonder if CA has applied some pressure?

4 Likes

I think its pretty bad look for Cricket Australia having a link for SEN on in their app to stream a game, you click it, there was tennis. They removed the link for the last two games. Not sure whose miscommunication it was. It is just a bad look between the sports. SEN should create an SEN cricket channel and even if these mistakes occur at least it won’t be a competing sport. Would be a recorded message related to cricket. They have a dedicated pop up channel for the Australian open.

2 Likes

It’s now updated. As it’s Brisbane Heat v Hobart Hurricanes tonight it appears confined to a mix of SEN and SEN Track stations in QLD and Tas only.

Hopefully the Cricket Australia app is able to find the correct stream this time and doesn’t default to the Tennis!

4 Likes

SEN in Sydney DAB this evening, has the NBL on SEN1170, AO on SEN Melb and SEN Track and the Big Bash on SEN FAN.

There is a problem with the audio however as it is dropping out every 30 seconds or so

3 Likes

That’s a lot of choice! Their listener won’t know which one to choose :slight_smile:

I’d say it’s the same line up in Brisbane and Melb on DAB.

Is it just me all does anyone else notice how often SEN 1170 lose transmission?
Also, I’ve noticed they play double ads (2 ads played over each other at the same time).
Its a great station but they’ve been having these issues since they first started broadcasting.

2 Likes

Not to mention their audio quality is absolute crap. It sounds like they’re running their stream via Shoutcast free service and recorded in a public toilet.

3 Likes

Yeah its a problem I have highlighted a few times, the app sounds good though. Seems terrestrial broadcasts are lower in the pecking order. The focus is the app, especially ar the ground broadcasting. I wonder if the wifi works with a vpn given public wifi has a certain reputation. Has anyone tried?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Kane Cornes would have to be one of the busiest people in media during the footy season:

• SEN Breakfast, Mondays & Fridays 6am-9am
  • SEN Sportsday, Monday to Friday 5.30pm-7.30pm
  • Footy Classified, Monday nights
  • Sunday Footy Show, Sunday 10am-12pm
  • The Round So Far (AFL.com.au), Saturday nights
  • Special comments for SEN AFL Coverage
3 Likes