SEN (Radio)

Tim Watson’s last day on SEN 1116 Breakfast today.

That’s fairly early, given official radio ratings survey doesn’t finish until December.

1 Like

For good?

No. Back next year mid Feb.

Garry Lyon will join him 3 days a week. Cutting back a day.

Lyon will finish for the year in 2 weeks.

3 Likes

Finishing for the year and it is only early October!

1 Like

Not much sport to talk about now that the AFL season is over?

1 Like

there’s the spring racing carnival, then golf, the FIFA World Cup soccer, cricket and tennis. There’s also coverage of NBL and A-League.

4 Likes

Yeah but there might be someone better suited.

1 Like

They made it sound like it was for good this morning. I was surprised if it was.

1 Like

If Tim’s finishing this early in the year maybe he’s stopping all media commitments and taking a few months off from Seven News as well?

1 Like

Probably just sleeping in for an extra few days?

does SENQ 693 not do its own news? Just out of interest, I was just listening now (4pm EST/5pm EDT) and the news was essentially a Melbourne bulletin but the weather was local for Brisbane. Not great for what few Brisbane listeners it has?

https://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/listen.aspx?region=Brisbane

2 Likes

Yeah Melbourne news is just what Brisbane listeners want to hear lol. Thankfully it’s not going to offend too many people.

3 Likes

I thought SENQ retained some news staff from 4KQ, maybe they’re just doing local news in the mornings or something like that?

2 Likes

SEN unveils star-studded broadcast team ahead of T20 World Cup

SEN will have radio broadcast rights for the 2022 T20 Men’s Cricket World Cup along with ABC radio.

The SEN T20 Cricket World Cup broadcast team will be made up of:

Gerard Whateley
Damien Fleming
Darren Lehmann
Simon O’Donnell
Darren Berry
Lisa Sthalekar
Adam Collins
Bharat Sundaresan
Bryce McGain
Stephen O’Keefe
Chris Lynn
Georgia Redmayne
Chadd Sayers
Dan McHardy
Grant Elliott
Alex Doolan
Matt White
Jimmy Smith
Sam Hargreaves
Kym Dillon
Tim Gossage
Peter Vlahos
Mark Braybrook
David Lithgow
Brad Hogg
Brett Geeves

4 Likes

One of the newsreaders from 4KQ (Vanessa Gibson I think) is still being used and is also being heard in Sydney on 1170 - but I get the impression that they do most of the bulletins from Melbourne after mornings. (Yes, local weather, including for some of their SEN Track markets; hit up the RadioApp version of the latter for instance, you’ll get Central Coast weather as that’s what’s used there.)

I mean, with the flooding in VIC and around Melbourne in the past few days, I would be surprised if a 3-minute “national” bulletin wasn’t VIC-heavy, but that’s exactly the feeling they need to shake off in the northern states and they don’t really do a good job of it tbh.

2 Likes

Not that they really care. They’re not a news station.

1 Like

Duffield, who previously held the position of chief football writer at The West Australian, will host his own weekly morning program from 8am – 10am (AWST) Monday to Wednesday from November 7.

Duffield was previously a panellist on ABC Radio’s Sunday Footy Forum alongside The Age’s Jake Niall and host Clint Wheeldon during the AFL season, up to (and including) this year.

2 Likes

Tim back today on 1116.

Edit: seems it’s just for the 8-8:30 half hour.

1 Like

Wait… so he didn’t finish up for the year?

What was that all about?

Or is he just a special guest?

1116SEN has had more breakfast changes than 2DayFM in recent times.

2 Likes