SBS Worldwatch

I had been watching Hong Kong news religiously since it debuted on SBS in May 1993. For the first 14 years it relayed the condensed version of the 6pm news from Asia Television (the No.2 TV network in Hong Kong which ceased terrestrial broadcast in 2016, and is now a streaming platform). Then in mid 2007 SBS suddenly switched the supplier to TVB with no reason given. With the full bulletins available on YouTube, nowadays I watch the SBS broadcast infrequently.

4 Likes

I remember reading somewhere that said that to translate something to English from the original language, the SBS has to spend a total of 53 hours to translate one hour of foreign language content.

I did the math, and as a result, if SBS were to subtitle an entire day of WorldWatch programming, it would need around 1000 hours of work. Calculations may be wrong, but that’s my two cents.

5 Likes

Video on how to access

3 Likes

Saw this pop up on Foxtel last night. Channel 644.

1 Like

Also on Fetch.

1 Like

The schedule for the first week of Worldwatch has been posted on SBS website. The Tuesday-Saturday line-up is the same as launch day, although on Saturday, SBS News in Arabic and Mandarin is replaced by the encore of the week’s episode of Insight, and Ukrainian News is replaced by the repeat of arts documentary Framed.

Also:
the 1.30am to 5am timeslot will have DW English News and France 24 English News on alternate days.
Worldwatch will broadcast live nationally (like ABC News channel), so during winter all bulletins will be shown 30 minutes behind AEST in SA and NT, and two hours behind AEST in WA.

2 Likes

Strange how they still have Hungarian News as well. Usually they broadcast some info about the respective bulletin’s SBS language program, but the Hungarian program is in recess (and has been since '17). So why still broadcast it if it might as well be scrapped in the review next year?

Hello, just posting that there is a similar program like WorldWatch that airs in Japan on the satellite station NHK BS1 since 1986. It is called World News, and they are edited and shortened news programs dubbed in Japanese by interpreters. It currently airs from Monday to Saturday since 2019 and does not broadcast on national holidays. Bold indicates that NHK airs the same program as SBS.

Here is the list of broadcasters NHK currently airs as of this post, along with their original language:

• Australia: ABC (English; airs The World, which is originally boradcast in the news channel)
  • Brazil: Bandeirantes (Portuguese; airs on Saturdays)
  • China: CCTV (Mandarin; which SBS suspended in 2021)
  • China: Dragon Television Shanghai (Mandarin)
  • France: France 2 (French)
  • Germany: ZDF (German)
  • Hong Kong: TVB (English)
  • India: NDTV (English)
  • Qatar: Al Jazeera (Arabic)
  • Singapore: CNA (English)
  • South Korea: KBS (Korean)
  • Spain: TVE (Spanish)
  • Thailand: MCOT (Thai)
  • Turkey: TRT (Turkish; airs on Saturdays)
  • United Kingdom: BBC (English; airs News at Six and News at Ten)
  • United States: ABC (English; airs World News Tonight, This Week, and Nightline)
  • United States: PBS (English; airs NewsHour)
  • Vietnam: VTV (Vietnamese; which SBS stopped broadcasting in 2003)
8 Likes

The listings show TVNZ One News on Viceland next Monday followed by reruns of Shortland St at 9:30am.

APAC network from Brisbane is also on. This hasn’t been shown on Australian TV before so it will be interesting to watch.

SBS has one hour of Indian news at 8am and BBC News at midday.

1 Like

DW is free, AjJ is not.

3 Likes

Fiji’s One News, and Canada’s CBC News and APTN National News also make their Australian debut next Monday.

On Tuesday it’s the local debut of The National from CBC, Te Ao with Moana (current affairs show from Maori Television New Zealand) and Prime Time News from India’s Doordarshan.

Interesting that SBS has chosen both CBC and Aboriginal Peoples Television Network as the Canadian news providers. The timing of CBC and APTN bulletins, and the massive time difference between Canada and Australia, means some news items may be one day old.

The broadcast time of One News is also odd: it is broadcast in NZ at 6pm local time (4pm AEST). Viceland may well show it live at 4pm in line with NZ.

Alternatively, SBS should consider uploading the bulletins from CBC, APTN, Fiji One and TVNZ on SBS On Demand as soon as they have been broadcast in their home countries, so Australian viewers won’t have to wait until the next morning.

EDIT: according to SBS online guide, CBC and TVNZ bulletins are not in next week’s schedule. TRT World Newshour (Turkey) will air at 6am and Fiji One News at 7.20am.

5 Likes

Yes I saw that this morning. TVNZ and APAC gone and TRT / Alone (reality show) is in.

1 Like

AjZ broadcast for free on YouTube.

2 Likes

Just because they stream free on YouTube doesn’t mean they don’t charge other broadcasters for use

5 Likes

I wasn’t saying that.

1 Like

SBS WorldWatch: 24x7 Live Stream (NSW) streaming now on SBS On Demand

2 Likes

Is SBS still broadcasting international news on the main channel in the mornings?

2 Likes

From Monday no non English news on SBS and Viceland because they are moving to WorldWatch

5 Likes

15h and 48mins until first program on WorldWatch

1 Like

Is someone going to record the launch?

1 Like