SBS Worldwatch

Do they really need a month of placeholder loop? I suppose maybe to get around to a whole bunch of VAST retransmitter sites and make sure it works?

It’s somewhat disappointing that the SBS Arabic and Mandarin services aren’t on FTA during this time of a lead up to an election, given how that’s a key area where there’s lots of voter disinformation and issues with the normal in language news services. A soft launch of just airing those would be a good start.

1 Like

There shouldn’t be any left these days. I know a guy who does self helps in remote areas and he was instructed to use Optus D1 as they were amalgamating most of their VAST state feeds. SBS weren’t going to amalgamate until they were assured no retransmitter sites were using them

1 Like

Its a good way of ensuring that people can access the service before it launches (with appropriate promo on the other SBS channels) - especially given its targeting LOTE communities

3 Likes

Channel 35 still not coming up after several rescans.

2 Likes

SBS have updated their TV guide if you want to see what the main channel and Viceland will look like when Worldwatch starts. Looks like they will still show english news bulletins from around the world.

Viceland will show NHK World from 2:40am to 7:20am on the 24th of May

Still no guide for Worldwatch yet.

7 Likes

Shorter promo recorded from SBS main channel:

4 Likes

Schedule for first day of broadcasting starting at 5:00 AM

Time Program
5:00 AM Thai News
5:30 AM Bangla News
6:00 AM Sinhalese News
6:30 PM Indonesian News
7:00 AM Polish News
7:30 AM Italian News
8:10 AM Filipino News
8:40 AM French News
9:30 AM Greek News
10:30 AM Deutche Wella German News
11:00 AM Spanish News
12:00 PM Arabic News France 24
12:30 PM Dutch News
1:00 PM Macedonian News
1:30 PM Croatian News
2:00 PM Serbian News
2:20 PM Bosnian News
3:00 PM Romanian News
3:30 PM Portuguese News
4:30 PM Maltese News
5:00 PM Gujarati News
5:30 PM Punjabi News
6:00 PM Hindi News
6:30 PM Nepali News
7:00 PM Urdu News
7:30 PM Korean News
8:00 PM SBS News In Arabic
8:30 PM SBS News In Mandarin
9:00 PM Ukrainian News
9:30 PM Tamil News
10:00 PM Malayalam News
11:00 PM Japanese News
11:40 PM Hong Kong News
12:00 AM Arabic News France 24
12:30 AM Indonesian News
1:30 AM Deutsche Welle English News
5:00 AM Thai News
3 Likes

This means the condensed version of the 6.30pm TVB News will be aired on the same night for the very first time. When the bulletin debuted on SBS in 2007 (replacing rival ATV News) viewers had to wait until early next morning to see it.

(Subscribers to TVB Anywhere streaming service can watch the full bulletin as it goes to air in HK)

Also, will the DW English News be shown non-stop from 1.30am to 5am?

2 Likes

I just hope all these show could have English subtitles included.

2 Likes

Welle

Surprised they aren’t simulcasting SBS World News and the late edition

4 Likes

It’ll probably be a simulcast of DW’s English channel:

Considering the ABC News Channel simulcasts DW News bulletins hourly throughout the night, not sure why SBS Worldwatch are seemingly also going to take the service rather than simulcast say Al Jazeera.

It would make no sense to do so considering SBS Worldwatch is primarily a LOTE channel.

4 Likes

AFAIK they won’t

3 Likes

DW English should.

i’m referring to the foreign language content. it’s quite labour intensive to translate and subtitle content, and these bulletins would be going to air with relatively short timeframes from their original airtimes. SBS has never had capacity to add English subtitles to these before. I imagine they aren’t in any position to do it now.

For English-language content it would probably rely on subtitles (e.g. closed captions) being embedded as part of the program/feed because I can’t see SBS going to the trouble of subtitling them. Especially for stuff being live relayed in the early morning hours, it wouldn’t be justified against what would be low viewing numbers. Even some English-language content on SBS’ other multi-channels still go to air without subtitles.

6 Likes

Am I the only person that thinks WeatherWatch could’ve been played during late hours? (1:30am - 5:00am, maybe it will…)

2 Likes

Yeah, Al Jazeera English would have been a much better overnight program

1 Like

Good old WeatherWatch and Music. I didnt think of that, but that could be a good option too. World Weather is technically part of most news services around the world. And a good filler for the overnight slot.

From what I remember, it last aired in October of last year basically being filler. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was put out of its misery or is expected to make a nightly comeback on SBS One or Viceland with all of the early news programs moving, could be completely wrong though.

How do you know the bulletin debuted in 2007?