2 Likes

im guessing its yesterday 1 news ?

Why do you say that?

ah, no worries.

2 Likes

i had a brain fart lol i forgotten nz is 2 or 3 hrs ahead of us

3 Likes

It is today’s midday bulletin.

ASB and ANZ announced this morning that they would lower some of their interest rates.

2 Likes

1News at Six goes for an hour in New Zealand according to latest schedules (from Freeview NZ), but here on SBS Viceland, it runs for only 35 minutes. I wonder which bits have been omitted?

2 Likes

Sports it seems and a few headlines at the top. Not sure what else

2 Likes

In NZ, would they air regular ads? Viceland usually has less ads within shows. Not sure why sports segment is out though.

2 Likes

They’d be cutting out anything that isn’t TVNZ owned content - I suppose a comparison might be the uploads of 7 Tasmania’s Nightly News on YouTube where they can only include their own stories, so it ends up 15-20 minutes long out of their hour.

Sports highlights would be an obvious one for not having rights clearance - so it probably makes sense to just drop it, unlike other import news services where occasionally they’ve just blanked out the vision in that segment - the PBS Newshour used to do that a lot.

6 Likes

From The Australian (via Mediaweek)

SBS management will review complaints from the Jewish community over the broadcaster’s longstanding partnership with Al Jazeera, amid concerns the Qatari state-owned television network has an “egregious conflict of interest” when reporting on the Israel-Hamas war.

The Executive Council of Australian Jewry has written to SBS ombudsman Amy Stockwell to voice its grievances about the taxpayer-funded broadcaster using Al Jazeera’s news reports on its channel.

The council has requested that Stockwell recommend to the SBS board that the broadcaster discontinue its relationship with Al Jazeera.

1 Like

The extent of the ‘conflict of interest’ presumably just being from a Islamic nation?

Al Jazeera’s dedication to reporting the facts from on the ground has seen countless lives lost among their journalists in Gaza, that doing so exposes a number of the atrocities being committed isn’t a ding against the quality of their reporting.

3 Likes

As excellent as much of AJ’s reporting from Gaza is, there is definitely a very pro-Palestinian bent to it. Which is understandable, I suppose, when the reporters themselves are also affected by the war. Even down to the on-screen captions, ‘War on Gaza’ (as opposed to ‘War in Gaza’ which would be more dispasssionate) and ‘Genocide in Gaza’. (It probably is a genocide but I don’t think that’s for Al Jazeera to declare.)

2 Likes

Generally speaking, Al Jazeera is an excellent news source. However, on this issue, their Qatari state ownership is apparent and their coverage, while largely not unreasonable, has definitely always been much more sympathetic to the Palestinian cause and has tended to downplay somewhat the Hamas atrocities that kickstarted this whole horrific affair.

I don’t watch enough to know if SBS directly uses Al Jazeera reports in their own bulletins, if so I do think it would be reasonable to have those removed certainly for reports on this conflict. As far as the Al Jazeera bulletins that are aired during the day are concerned, I think removing them altogether would be a bad move as SBS is excellent for providing multiple perspectives of the news (and while I don’t always agree with Al Jazeera’s perspective it does provide an important differing view on these matters).
I’m pretty certain SBS does a disclaimer on some of their overseas news programming, does this occur to when they relay Al Jazeera? If so I believe that’s a fair and reasonable way for SBS to handle the subject.

3 Likes