SBS World News

1 Like

I am sure SKY, Seven, Nine and 10 welcome you with open arms @foxyrover.

SBS is meant to be a multicultural broadcaster.

Plenty of places to be male, stale and pale elsewhere.

Also, it says ATSI people are strongly encouraged to apply. It is not limiting you but encouraging others who are very under represented in the media.

4 Likes

You target areas to recruit if you have a deficit. You can probably count the news presenters and reporters what aren’t straight or white on two hands.

Giving opportunities to others who have been disadvantaged is equity.

Fear not, the SBS Cadetship program has been running every year for the better part of a decade and there are straight, white males and females hired as part of the program every year, without fail.
The major newspapers also run cadet programs for uni graduates, and the majority of those hires are not diverse. There are plenty of doors open to everyone that is willing to put in effort and stand out as a prospect worth investing in - having a single placement at SBS allocated to a first nations person doesn’t threaten that.

4 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Mike Tomalaris has commented for the first time since leaving SBS.

Tomalaris, 60, did not want to comment on the reasons for his departure but was sad that his association with “a place that ran through my veins” was over.

“I leave SBS with my head held high,” he said. “Through the various managing directors that have come and gone, we’ve turned a product that attracted next to no viewers in 1991 to one that generates hundreds of thousands of dollars – maybe up to a million dollars – for SBS’s advertising and revenue.”

Tomalaris said he hoped to stay in both cycling and broadcasting.

Mike also tweeted tonight, referencing the SMH/Age article:
https://twitter.com/miketomalaris/status/1450423609227309059

2 Likes

A huge loss. Unfortunately the replacements for these figures are never as good - always inexperienced and on a cheaper contract.

Reading between the lines it suggests SBS may have told Tommo it was no longer going to broadcast the Tour once international travel resumes?

1 Like

Were you meant to say no longer covering the Tour in France itself?

I reckon SBS told Mike that he would no longer be hosting Tour de France coverage (at home or in France once international travel resumes). SBS still has the rights to the Tour until 2030 and will broadcast Tour de France Femmes (women’s tour) next year.

I also feel this has something to do with Nine grabbing the rights to next year’s UCI Road World Championships at Wollongong. This is right up SBS’s alley.

1 Like

So who (if anyone) is presenting the sports segment on SBS World News these days?

Mike Tomalaris and Craig Foster were the main go-to guys for years, but now both of them have left…

2 Likes

Tonights broadcast ended at 7pm and has gone to live coverage from CNN International (Newsroom) - crawler said it was due to technical difficulties

Oddly the half hour that was broadcast didnt look like it had been problematic (EDIT: I’m fully aware that its possible for this to occur)

3 Likes

6 Likes

Lol. That’s pretty funny. How long was CNN on SBS?

1 Like

30min

1 Like

Opening up about a rugged last month, Tomalaris confirmed he was asked to leave SBS, where he was employed as a news and sports presenter, for what he called a minor breach of the broadcaster’s code of conduct. He would not divulge what that breach was.

His theory was that SBS did not want to renew his contract.

“I’ll be 61 in a couple of weeks and I feel that age had a lot to do with my moving on,” he said. “It was SBS’s way of showing me the door because it was the cheapest option.”

2 Likes

Poor form from SBS if true. You don’t just show the door to one of the most experienced and well-regarded broadcasters under the guise of ‘minor breach’ when all you wanted is to save money. You don’t get many broadcasters with the longevity and experience like Mike in the industry these days.

Hopefully someone else will pick him up.

4 Likes

Does sound like poor form. But you do need to be careful of people front-footing media publicity in order to get their side of the story out first. In employment contexts there may also be NDAs which prevent others from responding.

3 Likes

I have seen plenty of people fired over what seem like minor issues - only finding out later that they pissed off someone important and were shown the door the second they had something on them.

Obviously we don’t know what happened in this case and there are always two sides to every story.

Either way it sucks this happened to him but what’s done is done. For his own sanity it would be best to move on with his life.

1 Like