SBS Viceland - Programs and Schedules

Take Me There

SBS VICELAND presents Take Me There, an original short-form documentary series telling young Australians’ stories

Each is a story about a pivotal moment of change in a young person’s life.

With characters that mirror the diversity of the Australian population, each is a raw snapshot of reality: an invaluable confessional; an insight into real, unscripted experiences about mental health, disability, sexuality, music, youth issues, and domestic violence.

Creating connections between people and place, each short-form documentary explores the diverse Australia we live in, and the vibrant people who make it.

The first four Take Me There stories take place New South Wales, with stories from other parts of Australia to come. They will roll out from today, Wednesday 2 August, on Redirecting..., and will appear on channel between programs from next week.

Take Me There stories:

Wani – Wednesday 2 August

A rapper from the western suburbs who experienced a troubled home life, but found an escape through his music in a friend’s garage.

Emma – Thursday 3 August

A young woman who suffers from bipolar was hospitalised after trying to take her own life. She now works at the same hospital using her life experience to help others in similar situations.

Luke – Friday 4 August

After struggling with identity, Luke found acceptance and self-expression through pole dancing.

Matt – Saturday 5 August

A young man dealing with his life changing in the blink of an eye after losing his leg in an explosion accident.

Monday night now seems to be the night for obscure movies. I wish I hadn’t torrented Blow Out as I only watched it last week. Can’t say I shared the intro guys opinion on Blow Out or De Palma. De Palma is a shit director for the most part (Scarface being the exception), completely pretentious and overblown and Blow Out is where he is at his very worst probably because he had no one to reign in his gimmicks. I also thought he ruined what could have been a really great movie. Too much padding and the ending completely cheapened the whole movie and really left a bad taste in my mouth.

New South Park , fast-tracked (if you can call 5 days fast )

1 Like

Belated happy first birthday to Viceland for last week :cake:

4 Likes

You are the only person who remembered.

3 Likes

Best forgotten although I do still watch two shows on this channel: UnReal and Brooklyn Nine Nine.

1 Like

Continual miniscule ratings in the USA, the channel facing the axe in Canada because of losses and extremely low ratings, and two top executives at Vice Media under investigation over sexual harrassment claims. Viceland puts on ‘cool’ programs, but no-one is watching.

3 Likes

Yeah wouldn’t be surprised to see another relaunch soon to a new SBS brand, a youth tailored channel is a good idea for SBS though.

3 Likes

I don’t think there are any programs that I watch on Viceland other then some repeats of Undressed and sometimes ‘If You Are The One’…

Then what’s 9Go! and ABC Comedy then. Whilst 9Go is the only one still in that demographic, ABC Comedy has really gone from it.

What I would like to see is SBS expanding on the deal with Scripps International and adding some quality content to Food Network.

1 Like

Aside from the occasional edition of The Feed, I don’t think I ever watch SBS VICELAND.

I agree that it wouldn’t be overly surprising to eventually see another rebrand/restructuring of the channel in the next year or so. Picking up some of the non-Comedy programs that ABC2 used to air probably wouldn’t be a bad idea for a start!

I wouldn’t exactly say that ABC COMEDY isn’t trying to target it’s programing at a younger demographic…

1 Like

I can’t see anything in the SBS charter that says it should be providing a Food themed TV channel. The Act says

“The principal function of the SBS is to provide multilingual and multicultural radio and television services that inform, educate and entertain all Australians, and, in doing so, reflect Australia’s multicultural society.”

I think the current channel structure falls well short. With the advent of multichannels there was a perfect opportunity to deliver multilingual content on the extra channels. But, it seems to me that there is less multinational content on all the current line up than when there was just an analogue SBS. The “premium” multilingual programs instead seem to be only available on SBS on-demand or via some streaming option.

Surely with 4 channels, at least one could be used to fulfil their charter obligations.

5 Likes

Their excuse is probably NITV.

I completely agree.

I’d rather have a World Movies & TV Series channel than a Food channel (which I have never watched).

5 Likes

The food channel is mostly US shows full of greasy takeaway style food, from what I’ve seen, aside from the endless off-peak repeats of Australian cooking shows that make up some local content.

Viceland on the downturn

Looks like this is going to be another Yesshop :unamused::unamused:

Nah, they’ll just go back to SBS 2 branding.
I still think SBS should have used the VICELAND branding for a programming block and not for the entire channel 24/7.

5 Likes

even though Vice programming only takes up three hours a day on SBS Viceland anyway!

Or ‘SBS Trains’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Some days less. It doesn’t make sense that they rebranded the whole channel.

1 Like