SBS Viceland - Programs and Schedules

SBS probably get more $$$ by granting 24/7 naming rights to Viceland :wink:

2 Likes

Really? I thought they would have paid to have that branding. Not sure I understand how that sort of deal works. Would this arrangement be more profitable for SBS, I wonder.

One of the main reasons for SBS Viceland’s existence is it reduced programming acquisition costs for the multichannel through being able to use the Viceland library of content

I would assume Viceland pays SBS for naming rights to the channel.

But SBS still buys programs from them, right?

I don’t know what arrangements they have for programming, but I was talking mostly of the branding of the channel. It doesn’t make sense to have the Viceland brand splashed all over half the day when there is off-brand programming like foreign news and sport, unless there is some financial incentive to do so. Otherwise they should have just had Viceland as a prime-time branded channel.

2 Likes

Not good for Viceland despite the way SBS tries to spin it.

1 Like

Would be interesting to see if SBSOnDemand views of Viceland content have increased in tandem or if they’ve also decreased.

It’s fair to say that a significant portion of the demographic that might be interested in Viceland doesn’t bother with linear TV.

2 Likes

In the most recent numbers nothing from Viceland on SBS on-demand made the top SBS programs. That means on the catch up service programs rated lower than 7,000 and the live service lower than 500 nationally.

2 Likes

Viceland was going to fast track the new Heathers TV series next week but now…

1 Like

Back from Wednesday 21 March 2018 at 8pm.

Almost missed it, but was able to record After Hours on Monday. God I love that movie.

I know most people shit on this channel but I love their movie output.

Gays & Guns

Tuesday 12 June at 7.30pm

Young, liberal, queer…and pro-guns – The Feed goes inside the ‘GAY NRA’.

The number of gay hate crime acts in the US has never been higher, but now there’s a growing legion of people who identify as LGBTIQ+ fighting back – with bullets. Some call them the ‘GAY NRA’; they call themselves ‘The Pink Pistols’.

Every week in America, someone is killed because they identify as LGBTIQ+. In 2017 alone, 52 LGBTIQ+[1] people were murdered, so The Pink Pistols explicitly advocates the exercise of Second Amendment rights for self-protection.

Two years since 49 people were shot and killed at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Walkley-nominated investigative journalist and host of SBS’s Mardi Gras broadcast, Patrick Abboud, gains unprecedented access to The Pink Pistols’ largest chapter in San Diego, in a special half-hour documentary. The Pink Pistols allow television cameras inside their national operation for the first time as Patrick travels across the US to meet the civilian legion you’d least expect to be fighting for more firearms.

With more than 45 chapters across the US and at least 10,000 shooters, the organisation – under the slogan ‘pick on someone your own calibre’ – say they are one of the most rapidly growing pro-gun groups in the US.

March for Our Lives put America’s gun problem in perspective like never before, when thousands of school students flooded the streets nationwide urging lawmakers to heed their calls and enact stricter gun laws. But The Pink Pistols don’t necessarily want tighter gun control. Their motivation to bear arms stems from the continued surge in hate crimes against LGBTIQ+ Americans.

The Pink Pistols are everything you wouldn’t typically associate with gun-toting Americans…

…On The Pink Pistols’ aims

“We are arming up to fight back against violent homophobia with serious firepower.” – Piper Smith, Leader of the largest chapter of The Pink Pistols in San Diego

…On why she joined The Pink Pistols

“I don’t want to die. I don’t want to get beaten to death and stabbed and burnt alive. I want a gun to feel equal.” – Leia, recent member of The Pink Pistols San Diego

…On violence against the LGBTIQ+ community

“What we are seeing is an absolute epidemic of violence against the LGBTIQ+I community and it will only get worse. This is the deadliest year yet for the community.” – Robin Maril, Associate Legal Director for the Human Rights Campaign

…On gun control

“The gun control debate might be out of control in this country right now but so are gay hate crimes. Armed gays don’t get bashed or, worse, even killed. We’re not just going to sit back and allow people to impose their will upon us.” – Jeff Bloovman, Gay firearms instructor and member of The Pink Pistols Philadelphia

Gays & Guns is produced by the award-winning team behind daily news and culture program, The Feed.

Gays & Guns premieres Tuesday 12 June at 7.30pm on SBS VICELAND and on SBS at 10pm. The program is available after broadcast anytime, on your favourite device via SBS On Demand.

1 Like

There’s part of me that finds this topic fascinating, but another part of me that wonders why public funding should go to an SBS produced documentary about an LGBT friendly pro-gun organisation in the US. Really pushing the boundaries of the SBS charter.

2 Likes

Has a better chance of fitting into the charter than anything on Food Network does, mind

2 Likes

Can’t think of a better thread to post this, but a kung fu movie is currently airing on SBS Viceland with both Chinese and English subtitles.

Reminds me of watching TV in Asia, but I still kinda prefer the SBS in-house subtitles (those big yellow-lettered ones).

3 Likes

Friday The 13th Week

Friday 13 July to Thursday 19 July

It’s Friday the 13th, so track down a four leaf clover and avoid walking under ladders at any cost! Better yet, stay in and revisit a couple of spooky blockbuster classics. SBS Viceland will be airing eight movies from the successful franchise from Friday 13 July to Thursday 19 July.

FRIDAY, 13 JULY AT 9.35PM ON SBS VICELAND

When a summer camp at idyllic Crystal Lake reopens 25 years after the tragic drowning of a young boy named Jason, the woods fill with the happy squeals of young campers and the sight of the furtive couplings of libidinous counsellors. But when a violent rainstorm isolates the lake, one-by-one the counsellors are horribly murdered in this film that launched a modern horror genre.

New Zealand mockumentary Wellington Paranormal premiered on TVNZ 2 tonight and is coming to SBS Viceland on July 31. It is is executive produced by Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement and is a spin-off of their 2014 horror comedy What We Do In The Shadows.

2 Likes

Mr Tachyon on the Edge of Science

From Monday 30 July at 8.05pm (8 Parts)

Searching for the cure to his invisibility, Mister Tachyon travels the world to meet visionaries, dreamers, and eccentrics and discover ideas that exist in the fringes of science. He searches for answers from the fringe of science; from tapping into tornadoes in Oregon, to exploring the power of bioluminescent algae in Rotterdam, and unlocking some of the brain’s mysteries in Seattle.

Wellington Paranormal

From Tuesday 31 July at 9:30pm

From the creative minds of Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement comes brand new mockumentary series Wellington Paranormal, based on the acclaimed film What We Do In The Shadows.

New Zealand’s capital is a hotbed of supernatural activity… Aliens, demons, zombies, werewolves and vampires, they’re all out in force in Wellington.

To fight these paranormal threats, Sergeant Ruawai Maaka has set up the first, classified Paranormal Unit of Wellington Police. Now Officers Minogue and O’Leary have been reassigned to the new unit, bringing a wealth of experience and a dedication to keeping Kiwis safe.

They are ready to put themselves in danger - and they take paranormal phenomena very seriously.

The supernatural community of Wellington is thriving but it’s still small enough that familiar faces, like Dion the Werewolf and Nick the Vampire, crossed paths with Minogue and O’Leary in the course of filming.

Get ready to follow these two normal cops into extraordinary situations and unearth a side of Wellington you might have only heard about in stories.