SBS Sport

SBS will show the inaugural W Series from this weekend.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/05/02/sbs-to-broadcast-w-series-races/
According to Wikipedia, W Series is a third-tier single-seater motor racing championship which aims to encourage greater female participation in motorsport. The series champion will receive US$500,000 in prizemoney. Caitlin Wood is the sole Australian driver competing in the championship, which will take place at six circuits across Europe from May to August.

French Open

26 May to 9 June

A Roland Garros return for Roger Federer, is a French Open next on Naomi Osaka’s list and can Ash Barty make us Aussies party? Watch it all unfold from 26 May to 9 June, right here on SBS - live, free, and in HD.

Federer returns to the sacred French Open clay for the first time since 2015 when he bowed out in the quarter finals against Stan Wawrinka.

2015 was also the last time Rafael Nadal kicked off his clay court campaign without winning both the Monte Carlo Masters and the Barcelona Open.

This year he bowed out of both at the hands of Fabio Fognini at Monte Carlo and Dominic Thiem in Barcelona. Are Rafa’s cracks starting to show?

Some Aussie men to watch at the French Open include Nick Kyrgios and Alex de Minaur but how will the 2017 boy’s champion Alexei Popyrin fare?

It’s wide open in the women’s draw as outside of Petra Kvitova’s two tournament wins (Sydney, Stuttgart) a different player has won each of the major tournaments leading up to Roland Garros.

Is a French Open next in line for Osaka after winning the US and Australian Opens?

Aussie Barty is also looking good but don’t discount reigning champion Simona Halep.

Program Schedule (AEST)

Sunday May 26 - Monday June 3
French Open days 1 - 9
2230 – 0400

Tuesday June 4
French Open quarter-finals
2230 – 0400

Wednesday June 5
French Open quarter-finals
2230 – 0400

Thursday June 6
French Open women’s singles semi-finals
2230 – 0400

Friday June 7
French Open men’s singles semi-finals
2230 – 0400

Saturday June 8
French Open women’s singles final
2300 – 0400

Sunday June 9
Tennis: French Open men’s singles final
2310 – 0400

2 Likes

Experienced commentators Greg Rust and Aaron Noonan will head up the TCR Australia broadcast team for the series’ free-to-air television and live stream coverage.
The duo will host and commentate the new seven round two litre touring car series which will be shown live on SBS and via the live stream on the TCR Australia and Shannons Nationals websites.
They will be joined by pit reporters Emma Notarfranceso and Cameron van den Dungen throughout TCR Australia’s inaugural season, which begins at Sydney Motorsport Park from May 17-19.
SBS’s coverage of TCR Australia will begin on Saturday, May 18 at 1400 AEST, with one race to feature on the one hour show on Saturday, while Sunday’s broadcast will showcase two back-to-back races and run from 1300– 1500 AEST on May 19.

It looks like the FA Cup final won’t be shown on FTA for the first time in many years. According to the latest schedule, SBS doesn’t have the match scheduled for broadcast next Sunday (May 19). The match kicks off at 2am AEST. Instead SBS will show the Eurovision Song Contest final live from Tel Aviv at 5am on the main channel, while Viceland will show the UEFA Women’s Champions League final between Lyon and Barcelona, live from Budapest, Hungary, at 1.30am AEST.

ESPN has exclusive rights to the FA Cup Final next week

2 Likes

Like I confirmed in August 2018 around post 200ish? Well bugger me.

1 Like

Nothing has been mentioned in this thread so I don’t see the issue with this post.

I mentioned that SBS didn’t have rights anymore in a post in this thread in August 2018, it is post 204 or 205.

1 Like

French Open:

2 Likes

A few more caps:

1 Like
1 Like

I thought SBS already had the rights to both semis and finals?

French Open rights are paying off for SBS thanks to Barty. Fox Sports kicking themselves they let go of exclusive rights.

Those rights would have been for the semi-final being played as scheduled on Thursday at 10.30pm but due to rain, the schedule has been delayed.

Tonight’s coverage is scheduled to start at 8:40pm AEST according to EPG.

1 Like

I know that tonight’s games were scheduled to begin at 8.40pm, but that was initially booked in a while ago for SBS. I hope the rain delayed matches from the last 2 nights means that we can watch these matches tonight.

(And go Ash Barty :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Not to mention the Federer/Nadal SF is a tantalizing match for them to be able to air in primetime

Viceland showing Barty and SBS showing the other semi with Konta.

woo hoo. Go Ash Barty. She has made the Final :slight_smile: I am happy with that.

The Women’s Final is on tomorrow night. So far, the coverage on SBS starts at 11pm (aet). I bet SBS will be happy with her in the Final too.

Dream for SBS if earlier

Between Barty featuring in the women’s final tomorrow and having the Matildas World Cup opener rolling into the French Open men’s final on Sunday night - SBS have hit the jackpot (especially considering it’s a network which ‘punches above its weight’ when it comes to sports rights)

They should get decent ratings for all three - particularly the Matildas match

4 Likes

Fans will be spoiled for choice this Sunday - Australia v India in Cricket World Cup on 9Gem, Women’s World Cup then French Open men’s final on SBS.
With Queen’s Birthday long weekend in most states I think many people will tune in both channels.

3 Likes