SBS (main channel) - Programs and Schedules

Sure and they often do that. But TV listings have limited space, so more often they don’t.

Ok then

So they should!

Generally networks don’t change the spelling of movies, programs or episodes from the original. For example when The Neighbors (US sitcom) was shown on Seven in 2013, and repeated in 2016. Seven didn’t change the spelling of their midday movie a couple of weeks ago from My Neighbor’s Secret. 10 doesn’t change the name of episode titles from the original eg Rose Colored Glasses (The Mentalist), The Time Travelers (How I Met Your Mother) The Corbomite Maneuver (Star Trek).

You’ll also find that the networks also use the original spelling provided for the synopsis of a show.

US drama Reprisal has been axed after just one season. The series finale is on SBS next Wednesday night.

Week commencing 21 June 2020

Sunday 21 June
19:30 Petra: Secrets Of The Ancient Builders Rpt
20:30 Hurricane This film is the story of the birth, life, and death of one storm - Lucy
22:00 Drowning In Plastic Rpt
23:35 Tin Star E09 and E10 Rpt

Monday 22 June
19:35 Secrets Of Royal Travel
20:30 24 Hours In Emergency
21:25 24 Hours In Emergency Rpt
22:20 SBS World News Late
22:50 Agatha Christie’s Criminal Games

Tuesday 23 June
19:30 Who Do You Think You Are?: Kat Stewart
20:30 Insight
21:30 Where Are You Really From? Season Premiere
22:00 SBS World News Late
22:30 Blinded E07 and E08

Wednesday 24 June
19:35 Tony Robinson’s World By Rail
20:30 Inside Cadbury: Chocolate Secrets Rpt
21:25 Secrets Of McDonalds E10
22:50 Movie: Homesick

Thursday 25 June
19:35 The World’s Busiest Stations: Howrah Terminal
20:30 The Secret Life of Al Capone
21:25 ZeroZeroZero S01 E07
22:30 SBS World News Late
23:10 Tin Star S02 E03

Friday 26 June
19:35 America In Color
20:30 America In Color
22:50 Movie: I Am Not Your Negro

Saturday 27 June
19:35 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown
20:30 Henry IX: The Lost King Rpt
22:30 Cycling: Tour De France Etape Classique

Updated info

Where Are You Really From? - Season 3

From Tuesday 23 June at 9:30pm

Inspiring stories of extraordinary hardship and sacrifice of multicultural Australians Michael Hing returns with Season 3 of Where Are You Really From? Four-part documentary series premieres Tuesday June 23 at 9:30pm on SBS.

“The thing about a question like ‘Where Are You Really From?’ - if we ask it the right way, it gives us a chance to celebrate who we are and how we got here.” - Michael Hing

Comedian and fifth-generation Australian, Michael Hing, is back on the road for season three of Where Are You Really From? and looking to flip the script on the question that has stalked Australian migrant families for generations.

The series unlocks the family stories of four migrant communities that have fundamentally changed the towns and cities that they call home. Over four episodes, Michael learns why these families came, why they stayed, what they’ve learnt and contributed and how they answer that big question.

Playful but poignant, this season takes in everything from Kung Fu battles and crocodile encounters to confronting stories of extraordinary hardship and sacrifice.

Michael starts his journey in Brisbane , home to one of the largest Vietnamese communities in the country, who survived the trauma of the Vietnam war to thrive in the city’s south western suburbs. Their exodus from Vietnam may have coined the term ‘boat people’, but more than 40 years later they’ve reclaimed it as a reminder of their strength, resilience and gratitude to a country that took them in when they had nowhere else to go.

As My-Linh Do , who fled Vietnam as an unaccompanied 12-year-old girl, puts it, “ This is me, this is home. I’m an Australian boat person and I’m actually proud of it”.

In episode two, Michael learns the 100-year Greek history of Darwin , a community that was wiped out by economic ruin and devastating natural disasters, only to rebuild stronger and more dedicated to a city that became a part of their identity. In the words of the Greek Crocodile Dundee George Haritos , “I don’t feel Greek … I’m not a ‘Territorian’ … I am Darwin!”

In Wollongong , New South Wales, Michael unearths the Serbian history of a steel city. Generations of migrants from the former Yugoslavia have made a home in this picturesque seaside destination. From steel working priests to Balkans war survivors, this is a community constantly striving to balance its complicated cultural history with their Australian future.

Zeljka Cankovic , a former refugee who came to Wollongong as a teenager, tells Michael, “ My kids know who they are. Even at the times when it was not easy to say who you are, we were still not hiding who we were. I’m proud of being both Australian and Serbian”.

The journey ends in Shepparton , a city with four mosques, 30 different nationalities and an Islamic history that stretches back over a century. What makes this Victorian city a cosmopolitan hub is summed up by Dinny Adem , the son of an Albanian Muslim migrant who went on to become Mayor of Shepparton, “ You shouldn’t tolerate your neighbour, you should celebrate them ”.

These stories remind us of the richness of Australia’s regional and suburban communities and the strength and fortitude of the people that now call them home.

The series will also be subtitled in Simplified Chinese and will be added to the subtitled collection on SBS On Demand, available immediately following its premiere on SBS, along with Season 1 & 2. The Chinese and Arabic collections on SBS On Demand feature a range of dramas, documentaries and current affairs programs to enable growing multicultural communities in Australia to engage with local and international stories in their first language.

Life Drawing Live

Saturday 4 July at 8.30pm

We’re baring all for the biggest live life drawing class in Australia, with Rove McManus

SBS bares all for the biggest live life drawing class in Australia with Rove McManus. Hosted by triple Gold Logie winner Rove McManus, Life Drawing Live will draw the nation together for a live two-hour TV event on Saturday 4 July at 8.30pm on SBS.

Rove will be joined in studio by a group of amateur artists, including some famous faces, to sketch live life models as they strike various poses. Guided by some of the country’s leading art experts, artists will complete a series of life drawing exercises before attempting to capture a challenging final scene.

Viewers are invited to pick up their pencils and draw along in real-time and be guided by Australia’s best. For those wanting to participate, a Pose Cam will provide an uninterrupted stream of the life models via sbs.com.au/lifedrawinglive .

Rove McManus said: “I studied a fine art degree, so I am no stranger to life drawing, but that was a long time ago, so I am more than a bit rusty. We all drew as kids, but I never stopped. I even managed to make a job of it illustrating my own kid’s books. Life Drawing Live gives everyone at home a chance to sharpen their pencils and have a go.”

SBS Director of TV and Online Content, Marshall Heald said: “Whether you’re participating or spectating, Life Drawing Live will be instructive, inclusive and entertaining. SBS will explore the role of drawing and art in reflecting our culture. Life models will be drawn from a range of Australian experiences and backgrounds and artists will be a diverse group of enthusiastic amateurs with various skill levels.”

CJZ Head of Comedy and Entertainment, Damian Davis said: “A lot of us have wanted to emerge from this lockdown with a new life skill, and this is the perfect chance to gain one and to be entertained along the way. This is the nation’s biggest ever Life Drawing class, completely live and unrehearsed. We can’t wait to see the results from our in-studio rookie drawers and from everyone at home.

Life Drawing UK

On Saturday 11 and 18 July at 8.30pm, SBS will broadcast Life Drawing UK from the BBC. Presenter and artists Josie d’Arby will be joined by some of the UK’s leading art experts and special guests. Viewers are invited to hone their life drawing skills with the uninterrupted stream of the life models available via sbs.com.au/lifedrawinglive .

Updated:

Who Gets To Stay In Australia?

From Wednesday 1 July at 8:30pm

Every three minutes someone gains permanent residency in Australia[i] but every year more than 40,000 are rejected[ii]. For the first time, a documentary series captures the life changing moments when men, women and families are told whether they can call Australia home, or whether they will be asked to leave.

Premiering at 8.30pm on Wednesday 1 July, Who Gets to Stay in Australia? follows the lives of 13 migrants and their families who want to settle in Australia. They’ve come here for love, family, work or for safety. The road to permanent residency is long, complex and challenging. This series follows people whose applications have previously been rejected and are in their final appeal to stay in the country.

In an Australian television first, SBS cameras were granted privileged access inside the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, where applicants and their lawyers make their case directly to a single judge. The series captures the key moments as applicants prepare their cases, subject themselves to the scrutiny of the system and ultimately receive the news that will change their lives forever. For some of the applicants, these are life or death decisions.

We meet Australian woman Stephanie who is fighting to keep her French husband Fares in Australia after he overstayed his original visa by 10 years. Australian man Harry and his Indonesian wife Viona face being split up and their children forced to leave due to a paperwork error. Peruvian man Luciano may be made to move back to Peru, without his partner Drew or the HIV medication he depends on, and the Irish Hyde family may all have to leave as their son has cystic fibrosis. Applicants who may cost the health system more than $49,000 over 10 years are rejected.

SBS Director of TV and Online Content, Marshall Heald, said: “Away from the noisy headlines and politics lie the deeply moving stories of people who want to call Australia home and make a life in this country. Who Gets To Stay in Australia? puts a human face to the Australian immigration process. The stories are raw, heartbreaking, triumphant and full of hope, in equal measure. We hope it will encourage a deeper understanding of the thousands of people who go through this journey.”

To provide explanation and further discussion on the immigration process based on their experiences in the sector, the series features interviews with Amanda Vanstone (former Minister for Immigration & Multicultural Affairs, 2003–2007), Abul Rizvi, (who worked for the Department of Immigration for 17 years and left as the Deputy Secretary, 1990–2007), Jan Redfern (Deputy President of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal) and Dr Shanthi Robertson (Migration Sociologist from Western Sydney University).

The series is narrated by actress Brooke Satchwell ( SeaChange ).

Who Gets To Stay in Australia? will be subtitled in Simplified Chinese and Arabic and will be added to the subtitled collection on SBS On Demand, available immediately after its premiere.

Week commencing 28 June 2020

Sunday 28 June
19:30 Top Ten Treasures Of Pompeii
21:15 Henry IX: The Lost King Rpt
22:55 Cycling: Tour De France Etape Classique

Monday 29 June
19:35 Secrets Of The Royal Servants Rpt
21:25 Why Do I Put On Weight? Rpt
23:00 Cycling: Tour De France Etape Classique

Tuesday 30 June
19:30 Who Do You Think You Are?: Julie Bishop
21:30 Where Are You Really From?
22:00 Grand Tours Of Scotland’s Lochs Season 3 Premiere

Wednesday 1 July
19:35 Tony Robinson’s World By Rail Canada and Alaska.
20:30 Who Gets To Stay In Australia? Series Premiere
21:35 7.7 Billion People And Counting

Thursday 2 July
19:35 The World’s Busiest Stations: Zurich
20:30 When Buildings Collapse Rpt
21:25 ZeroZeroZero S01 E08 Season 1 Final

Friday 3 July
22:25 SBS World News Late
23:55 Cycling: Tour De France Etape Classique

Saturday 4 July
19:35 Extreme Railway Journeys: Last Train To Transylvania
20:30 Life Drawing Live Series Premiere

Seems that SBS is showing The World’s Busiest Stations out of order. Zurich is the fourth and final episode of season 1. Flinders Street in Melbourne is episode 3 but won’t go to air until July 9. I wonder why?

Update: Season 4 Teaser

Week commencing 5 July 2020

Sunday 5 July
19:30 Decoding The Great Pyramid
20:30 Joanna Lumley: The Quest For Noah’s Ark Rpt
21:45 Grand Tours Of Scotland’s Lochs
22:20 Cycling: Tour De France Etape Classique

Monday 6 July
19:35 The Windsors’ Lost Letters
21:25 The Secrets Of Coca-Cola Rpt

Tuesday 7 July
19:30 Who Do You Think You Are?: Troy Cassar Daley
21:35 Where Are You Really From?
22:05 Grand Tours Of Scotland’s Lochs
22:40 SBS World News Late
23:10 Cycling: Tour De France Etape Classique

Wednesday 8 July
19:35 Tony Robinson’s World By Rail The Trans-Siberian Railway
20:30 Who Gets To Stay In Australia?
21:35 Inside Aldi Rpt

Thursday 9 July
19:35 The World’s Busiest Stations: Flinders Street, Melbourne
20:30 War Of The Worlds Series Premiere

21:30 War Of The Worlds

Friday 10 July
22:25 SBS World News Late
23:55 Cycling: Tour De France Etape Classique

Saturday 11 July
19:35 Extreme Railway Journeys:
20:30 Life Drawing UK

Celebrities set to get arty on ‘Life Drawing Live’

Amateur artists Adam Liaw, Claudia Karvan, Susie Youssef and Hunter Page-Lochard will join host Rove McManus in Australia’s biggest life drawing class, live on Saturday 4 July.

Life Drawing Live is set to become Australia’s first live life drawing class, all under the guidance of two of Australia’s leading art experts. Host Rove McManus, not only a triple Gold Logie winner but an illustrator in his own right, will be joined by other famous faces who also happen to be amateur artists.

Participating in the class will be cook, TV presenter and author Adam Liaw , Australian acting royalty Claudia Karvan , actor Hunter Page-Lochard , and comedian, actor and writer Susie Youssef .

Remembering the joy of drawing as a kid, Adam Liaw recalls that he “loved art and was always doodling or drawing comics”. Guided by his mum, he drew a lot, even winning an art prize when he was in Year 9. After a 20-year hiatus, Adam’s drawing more these days.

“Now as a father I end up drawing a little with my kids, just little sketches with them and birthday invitations.” However, the invitation to participate in Life Drawing Live was a bit confusing at first. “I didn’t really know what life drawing was! I actually laughed out loud when I found out it was nudes. I don’t know if I’ll be any good at it, but it sounds like a lot of fun!”

Claudia Karvan cites having children as rekindling her love of drawing, too. “I did 3 Unit Art at school and did drawing classes (using the left-hand side of my brain, no less!) I love nothing more than to sit still and draw, regardless of whether the outcome is good or bad, but unfortunately life pressures usually take priority and you find yourself neglecting these really important pleasures. So, thank you COVID-19 and Life Drawing Live for nailing me to the floor for two hours this Saturday so I can indulge in doing something I love.”

Growing up drawing superheroes and spend much of his time at art school “mastering mise en scène paintings”, Hunter Page-Lochard ( Cleverman ) rightly asks, “who doesn’t love a little bit of Bob Ross in the morning?” Hunter admits, “I’ve always loved imagining that I’m the next Picasso, but I know I’m probably just the next Van Gogh as I continue to live my life existentially. I may be rusty, but I’m ready to pull out my pencils and dive head-first into this mystery we call art.”

Comedian and writer Susie Youssef is“absolutely fascinated by great artists and their ability to move people with their work.” But Susie confesses to SBS that she is not a great artist. “I have sketched a sad tree in every notebook I’ve ever owned, and instead of crossing out mistakes in handwriting exercises, I used to draw a flower pot over the top of the error.” Happily, she is not letting this dampen her enthusiasm. “Even though I will be undoubtedly rubbish, I am very excited for Life Drawing Live . I promise to arrive sober, unlike my first and only other life drawing experience at my sister’s Hens Party. Sorry Tess.”

Depression And Me

Monday 13 July at 9:30 pm

Alastair Campbell candidly talks about his experience living with depression and explores if radical new treatments can make a difference.

Alastair is best known for his role as Tony Blair’s formidable and often contentious spin doctor but, away from the public eye, he has been dogged by crippling bouts of depression for most of his life.

Kenny Rogers: Biography

Friday 17 July at 7:30pm (2 hr)

Kenny Rogers TBD is a journey through Kenny’s life and chart-busting career. Weaving in performances from his star-studded farewell show in Nashville, the biography charts Kenny’s hard-won 60-year career. In this captivating two-hour documentary, Kenny’s friends, family and fellow artists tell the story of how Kenny Rogers rose from adversity- battled obscurity – and a pop culture superstar. From impoverished beginnings, to the meteoric rise and crash of The First Edition, to his soul-tested struggle for relevancy. It all culminated in Kenny digging deep, finding his ‘ace, and going all-in - transforming into The Gambler, becoming a country music icon, a duet-crooning pop star and a 21 #1 hit machine.

1 Like

Week commencing 12 July 2020

Sunday 12 July
19:30 Great Wall Of China: The Hidden Story Rpt
20:30 Saving Notre Dame
21:30 Toxic Town: The Corby Poisoning

Monday 13 July
19:35 The Windsors’ Lost Letters
21:25 Depression And Me

Tuesday 14 July
19:30 Great Asian Railways Journeys: Kowloon to Wan Chai Series Premiere
21:35 Where Are You Really From?
22:05 Grand Tours Of Scotland’s Lochs
22:35 SBS World News Late
23:05 Cycling: Tour De France Etape Classique

Wednesday 15 July
19:35 Tony Robinson’s World By Rail: Arctic Circle Series 2 Final
20:30 Who Gets To Stay In Australia?
21:35 Child Of Our Time: Turning 20

Thursday 16 July
19:35 Inside The Orient Express Rpt
20:30 Drain Alcatraz Rpt
21:30 War Of The Worlds S01 E03

Friday 17 July
19:35 Kenny Rogers: Biography
21:30 24 Hours In Emergency Rpt

Saturday 18 July
19:35 Extreme Railway Journeys: Crossing the Emerald Isle
20:30 Life Drawing UK
22:45 Sunshine x 4 Rpt

According to Wikipedia, it was first broadcast as 20 30-minute episodes on consecutive weekday evenings on BBC Two from late January to February this year, before it was repeated weekly as ten 60-minute episodes in April. I think SBS is broadcasting the 10-episode version, with the first episode also covering the trip from Hong Kong University to Lantau Island.

SBS has bought the rights to 8-part Norwegian series For Life and Swedish political thriller The Inner Circle.

Mary Beard’s Shock Of The Nude

Friday 24 July at 8:30pm and 9:40pm

With distinctive wit and flair, Mary Beard takes a personal view of the Nude in Western art and its troubling power to provoke ideas about gender, sex and moral transgression.

I saw the Flinders Street episode of The World’s Busiest Train Stations over dinner last night. Fascinating episode, filmed over a one-week period in mid January 2019 (it mentioned India’s 7-wicket win over Australia in the third ODI at the MCG on January 18, to claim the series 2-1). The episode covered delays and cancellations in morning and evening peaks, trespassers, a person killed by a train on Hurstbridge line at Eaglemont, maintenance of trains at Epping depot, and even a woman falling asleep in a toilet at Flinders Street station.
The crew was granted exclusive access to Metro’s route control centre, known as Metrol. I think no local media had been allowed inside before, which is a shame.

1 Like