SBS (main channel) - Programs and Schedules

Who Gets To Stay in Australia?

From Wednesday 1 July at 8:30pm

Every three minutes someone gains permanent residency in Australia but every year more than 40,000 are rejected . For the first time, a documentary series captures the life changing moments when men, women and families are told whether they can call Australia home, or whether they will be asked to leave.

SBS has picked up another Scandinavian drama, When the Dust Settles from Denmark.

SBS showed a promo tonight during Filthy Rich and Homeless with upcoming series which included the Australian series: Where Are You Really From (Jun23), Who Gets To Stay In Australia? (Jul1), a new season of Every Family Has A Secret and Super Tunnel (Aug12).

Super Tunnel? As in the BBC documentary series covering the Crossrail project in London? Three series have aired on SBS so far, but the rail project itself is still under construction amid a budget blowout. Is there a fourth series?

I believe there were Aussie accents in it. I assumed it was about the huge Metro rail tunnel they’re currently building under Sydney Harbour and the city.

You may be right. I found this program from a TV Tonight article on SBS 2020 upfronts (held on November 19, 2019 in Sydney).

Mega Metro (working title)
TX: Mid 2020 on SBS
Number Of Episodes: 4 x 1hr
This series explores the colossal task of building a brand new, state-of-the-art metro system through, beneath, and above the streets of the iconic city of Sydney, home to five million people. The series follows the international team tasked with making it all happen.

1 Like

I went back and rewatched the promo. It’s definitely this show retitled. It’s called: Sydney’s Super Tunnel (August 12).

1 Like

I dont know why sbs keep changing the name of shit.

It’s common for shows to have a working title and then a different one when broadcast. I guess the change to Sydney’s Super Tunnel is yo take advantage if the success of the other Super Tunnel show. I just wonder whether there is any connection or whether this show infringes on the other show’s title.

Worse for foriegn movies
They usally put the english title on instead of the original language title
Makes it harder the more obscure it is

Strangely there is no mention of this show on Sydney Metro website, since it is about the construction of the City and Southwest Metro project.

Why is it strange? Why does the Metro website have to mention a television show that doesn’t even start for another two months?

Isn’t that because certain titles don’t translate well into English? If they literally translated them, then they might sound odd.

No i meant the title of the foriegn movie in the original language. Just leave it alone (with the exception of languages that dont use latin script, just transliterate em)

What are some examples?

English title: A Monster In Paris
Original (in this case, french title): Un monstre à Paris
If thats the example you wanted, here you go
From 2011

Note: studio ghibli (which world movies airs way, WAY too often!) is an exception, english titles can be kept

hey dont bag out studio ghibli please and thank you very much:D

Well, this is a completely different issue to changing the name of s movie or show. That’s just the English translation of a French name.

When you’re screening a movie in an English speaking country, isn’t it easier to list the movie with its English title? If listed with its foreign, the average viewer would have to seek a translation to find out what the movie is about. The one you’ve mentioned is easy to translate but many others are not.

Put an aka (insert native title here) beside the english title

On a slightly related and very interesting note. :wink: I see that SBS changes the spelling of the US program America In Color to Colour in the program guides.