SBS Food - Programs and Schedules

I’m actually really looking forward to the relaunch of SBS Food, it’s how the channel should have been from day one.

Couldn’t give two shits about community tv personally.

2 Likes

I’m confused. Why does a channel of the food genre deserve to be on Community TV?

1 Like

What we’ll find out over the next few weeks is whether dropping the US shows will impact SBS Food’s ratings. If it does, expect 7Food Network to win the long-term battle of the food networks

1 Like

Do we really need 2 food channels though, really?

Probably not but SBS would’ve surely realised that as soon as they didn’t sign the food network deal again that another network would’ve likely picked it up and go into competition with them if they decided to continue with a whole channel devoted to the food genre.

They probably assumed like many here that the rights would’ve been picked up by Nine and incorporated into the 9Life daytime schedule

1 Like

Yes. SBSFood and 7food will have totally different audiences.

Remember the episode of The Simpsons where Mr Burns goes bankrupt and in a vain attempt to help Smithers out, he goes to the supermarket to get the groceries and can’t decide between ketchup and catsup?

SBSFood7Food

Sorry, I cannot see how they are going to serve two different audiences. THEY BOTH DO FUCKING COOKING SHOWS.

You know what, to anyone who thinks have two cooking channels on free to air, especially one that is partially funded by taxpayers, is a great idea, you’re even more deluded than me. Sorry. not sorry.

This will be cited as an example of wasting taxpayers dollars when that day comes, and it will come, I’m sorry to say, when SBS is merged with ABC.

Here’s a piece of constructive feedback and one I think would go down well - if they wanted to have a channel with cooking shows, maybe they should do a DIY/education channel. You can have a few cooking shows on it, mix it with some educational programming, some DIY shows. Align it with the National Curriculum and VET pathways. Work with TAFE and the universities. F##k get some STEAM/STEM stuff on there, that’ll give certain educators a chubby right there - AND food counts as a technology! Plus, it might even get more funding if it has an education focus! There’s no channel like that on Freeview/FTA. Call it sbs.edu or SBS Learn or SBS DIY or SBS You2.0 or something wanky like that.

I think you would get better outcomes than running a channel based solely on food that will be taken up the khyber by a better run and better promoted commercial competitor. It won’t last long. The channel is only running because there are idiots in SBS management who know diddily squat about common sense and spending taxpayers money.

Sorry but your argument sucks. If this were an assignment, you’d get 0 and told to resubmit.

Sorry not sorry for ranting.

2 Likes

Fair shake of the sauce bottle, Cranky. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well it bloody well is.

There are better uses for the channel, and continuing to do food after losing such a massive chunk of its library to a commercial rival, who will give it a rimming the likes no one has seen before, is stupid. I’m calling it for what it is.

1 Like

Well, let’s see what happens. Maybe they will retain enough of the audience without the expensive Food Network contract and still be profitable for SBS.

There will be a difference between the two. One will feature shows about cooking food and travelling the world discovering different tastes and delicacies. The other will be entertainment television with ego maniacs, dummy spits and game show-like competitions that just so happen to feature food. Doesn’t take much to guess which one will be which.

I agree that we don’t need a second one, but I reckon these two channels will be remarkably different and I think SBS Food will finally be the food channel we’d come to expect from SBS.

8 Likes

Riiiiiight. To put it bluntly, one will be trashy and aimed at bogans, the other will be aimed at an ABC/SBS audience. See, two totally different audiences.

Started at midnight with no fanfare.

Ident

Promo, PRG, Watermark

Video

1 Like

Geez that watermark is stupidly oversized

2 Likes

The font used for the logo and text is so uninspiring, they could’ve easily have done better there.

This channel is already better than the previous version. It’s just cooking and none of those stupid reality bullshit shows that had barely anything to do with actual cooking.

This is what a good channel should be… cooking food recipes and shit like that.

it might be deliberately so to get people’s attention to the new branding when watching. Wonder if it might be reduced in size once the change is well and truly bedded in.

Justine Schofield is hosting a new 8-part food series based in Northern Territory. Outback Gourmet premieres Sunday March 31 at 7.30pm, with double episodes each week.

1 Like

Another NT-based food show coming to the channel later this year.