Saving Ten

I don’t think worrying about tens daytime is a big issue. They win most timeslots between midday and 6pm.

It’s their news, post 830 primetime and early mornings that they need to build up. Forget all the other bullshit.

Get the solid foundations done then in a few years try to get some actual sport rather than the complete rubbish rights they have at the moment.

6 Likes

1pm during the day isnt exactly prime time, also I am suggesting some low budget alternatives until they increase profitability. Also if you look at channel 11 or One, there are opportunities fro reality encores on there and perhaps even later in the day, closer to when those shows air - perhaps at 3:30pm on 11 or at 6pm on One and then plaster the fact that show airs on Ten/Win at 7:30pm (eg Sunday to Thursday could air Masterchef et al and The Living Room on Friday)

Ideally Ten could try their own variant of The Daily Show at 1pm (Perhaps call it Ten Daily or something like Afternoon Edition or even Inside Edition) and seek out advertisers in same way as Studio 10 does.

Those are for multichannels, not the main channel.

Geez sounds like everyone here wants Ten to go down the road of repeated repeats like Channel 11! :joy:

Personally, I would like to see it, BUT, between 12 and 3pm most days of the week Seven, Nine and Ten are almost identical - chat show and reality TV (with Seven and Nine sometimes screening a afternoon movie). Ten has been successful in the past with a dare to be different approach. There are 3 new game shows coming, for all we know, CBS might have 2 of the 3 pencilled in for day time schedule in same way that CBS in the US has Lets Make A Deal and The Price Is Right over a 2 hour period.

Agreed on all points.

Also, can we please stop talking about messing with Studio 10? Personally I’m not so sure if the 8.30am half hour is neccesary (although it does give them a good 30-35 minute advantage over The Morning Show & Today Extra), but aside from that I have no major problems with the show running between 9am and midday. As it is now, Sunrise & Today run for 3.5 hours each morning yet nobody complains about that!

1 Like

And guess which multi-channel is the highest rating in daytime of the lot?

As an aside, can Win screen the M rated DOOL at 3.30pm anyway?
As for saving Ten, this week’s efforts of no TBA’s is a step in the right direction. Now to churn out some more easy watching Australian made content- both existing (Hughesy, HYBPA, Show me the Movie, even Cram was ok) and new. Add in these new game shows and relegate the US stuff to 9.30 and later and we are heading somewhere. Personally, I’d move Colbert to 10pm weeknights on Eleven and pair it up with Corden at 11pm on Eleven. Get primetime moving, don’t need to be anything better than third to be profitable.

this. 100% this.

1 Like

Given that Ten need to screen around 10 hours of Australian content, I don’t see The Talk moving anywhere unless it moves to 11 or One. 11 being the more likely of the two scenarios given Ten airs an encore of The Talk early in the morning on 11 - but then 11 does air The Doctors at 1pm and 5am each weekday.

The only reason I can personally see Ten shortening Studio 10 is to insert a Morning News bulletin. other than that, probably best to leave it as is

A few people on here have said they can not see CBS’s influence yet, and this is probably justified to an extent… but it looks like it’s coming. I remember people saying, don’t expect change overnight, give them 6 months-1 year.

Now we have:
Lisa Wilkinson
Jennifer Keyte
the axing of Family Fued
Pointless
Game of Games
the rumours of the Saturday Night Takeaway format (with Chris & Julia)
Drunk History
…and now Dancing with the Stars.

These all seem like pretty big acquisitions to me if true.

Summer or Fri/Sat night? Or to expensive for those slots?

4 Likes

Some of those are just rumours though so you can’t say that they are CBS influenced. In that list there are only 2 shows and one axed show. So really only an hour game show.

As for this pilot week is it actually going to happen? Doesn’t seem like we have much time and the only real rumour we have had is Drunk history.

Pilot week will be in August I believe

4 Likes

I feel ten are leaving the promotion of these things quite late. I haven’t seen an advert for Survivor yet.

Forget Survivor. Doesn’t The Bachelor normally start in July. Well it’s mid June…

I wouldn’t be overly surprised if the high profile defections of Lisa Wilkinson* and Jennifer Keyte + the axing of Family Feud were CBS-influenced, but I’m not so sure about the others!

*Yes I know CBS didn’t own Ten at that point but even taking the pay parity thing into consideration, I’m personally not sure if Wilkinson would’ve jumped ship from a stable position on Today if there wasn’t a good chance of CBS buying Network Ten.

Good to hear. I personally hope the idea of “Pilot Week” is successful and may even become an annual thing on Ten! :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’ll bring back Hey Hey too! :joy::joy:

and

Why not try Saturday Night Rove… sorry lets leave it as Heaven and Hell… Encore marathons – cheap and nasty

Pilot week sounds like how Amazon Prime had pilots and then the most watched? got taken and made into shows. They then got rid of that system and ended up investing in big budget shows instead. Maybe it will work for a free to air broadcaster though ?

1 Like

ABC has a similar thing.

1 Like