Saving Ten

A lot of people have suggested doing an edition of The Project on Saturdays as well as a program called The Morning Project. Now whether of not The Project remains in its current form of 1 hour, or whether Ten shortens the Monday to Friday editions to half an hour or whatever, below is a a possible edition of The Project, but its more centrally focused.

My proposal is The Sports Project - you could have Peter Helliar (or Matt White) at the helm and adopt the panel type discussion on sports issues of the week - whether its controversial comments or behaviours of sports stars (recently ball tampering scandals and provocative comments made by a certain rugby union star and well as issues where teams breach salary caps) - basically anything sports related - be it on the field or off the field. A 1 hour sports analysis.

Any thoughts?

I am a bit confused at what you are talking about here.

I actually don’t mind the idea. I, however, wouldn’t look at reducing the current format. Its an identity and its good to keep the identity. If Ten were to consider a 9:30 news service they could potentially put a Sports Project at 10pm.

I like the idea of The Morning Project - I would air it at 8am and have studio Ten at 9am. I would have Natarsha Belling host and James Mathison host alongside with someone like Denise Scot or Meshel Laurie in the third chair.

Over saturation of particular titles or formats fatigues the overall brand. Ten need more new ideas and less rehashing or adapting current shows to fill the gaps in their schedule.

6 Likes

I was just saying that where people have suggested a Saturday edition of the Project and whether or not the kept the hour format or cut it back to 30 minutes through the week, that a Saturday program (and probably the Sunday program) should be 1 hour.

Your idea has merits - I originally thought it could air on Friday night (around the time you suggested) and air an encore on Saturday morning just before Studio 10 - but then thought would they be better spending money in the early evening instead of after 9pm at night

An alternative title could be Sports Weekly (aired 6:30pm Saturdays with possibly an encore at 8:00am Sunday morning)- which could work with a re-boot of Sports Tonight each night after a late edition of Ten News

1 Like

Take a drink everytime somebody mentions a suggestion with “Project” in the title

:beers::beers::beers::beers: :beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers::beers:

:dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:

12 Likes

I’m drunk :dizzy_face:

I’m surprised so many people want to save The Project and even expand the format! My issue is that from 4pm news services begin and run for the next 4 hours. Come 7pm, there’s ABC news and I just don’t think The Project is a strong enough format and offering to entice a news audience (which the figures do show).
Ten would be much better to have an alternative offering at 7pm - either a game show or even go back to reality – this is the same slot Masterchef began and excelled.
Move The Project earlier or later (4pm or 10pm) and have a completely new offering between 6 and 7 - could even just be a daily chat show . .

And by daily chat show I mean Ricki Lake/Jeremy Kyle Australianised version…

1 Like

The Project beats A Current Affair and Home and Away in demos, and Nine News on occasion.

Just a few suggestions:

7am to 8.30am: Ten should introduce a radio style music drive style show. They should play upbeat music (videos) for people getting ready to go to work. Have a panel of hosts to announce the songs with short and snappy talk breaks. They should mix in short news headline updates (1-5mins) in between from the news room and continue these through the whole morning. This would be a good alternative offering (could even partner with radios stations to simulcast like a NZ channel used to do).
8.30am to 11.45: Studio Ten.
11.45am to 12pm: Short TenNews Update with a TenDaily Pannel Conversation/Preview Segment (Simular to 9News Now, very conversational crossing live to reporters (in the studio/newsroom) for conversations rather than packages).
12pm to 4pm: (Same as Now (E.g. Dr Phil, Repeats)
4pm to 4.30pm: Ten Daily (Magazine style pannel news talk show)
4.30pm to 5pm:
5pm to 6pm: Ten Eyewitness News
6pm to 6.30pm: Game Show
6.30pm to 7.30pm: The Project
7.30pm to 8.30: Popular Reality Show

Weekends:
Live Saturday Night Variety Show
One-Hour Current Affairs Show

There is a thing called Breakfast radio which isn’t any different. Why would anyone want to watch music videos first thing in the morning?

2 Likes

I completely understand your point. The thing is, they’ve tired a breakfast news show and failed. Just an idea for something different.
I don’t know about you, but in the morning I don’t really have time to sit down and watch anything. Particularly, if you have to get kids ready. It would be great to tune into some music while making breakfast. Get the latest issues and some good upbeat banter in short bites in between and get up-to-date on all the news headlines in short bulletins and from scrolling supers. It’s essentially a more fast paced version of Today/Sunrise with music in between. As a younger viewer, this is something which would appeal to me. Most importantly, it would be CHEAP to produce and who would want too watch the Bold and the Beautiful repeats anyway. It’s just a cheap alternative for the network, which is something fresh and new.

I understand where you are coming from but isn’t this still breakfast radio? Knowing the quality breakfast radio shows these days, do we really want to see one on FTA?

1 Like

Media works did something similar in NZ called ‘The AM Show’, without the music obviously. It worked well. If you keep the content more classy and news based it could work. Obviously, it might not be a top rater, but it would be a cheap alternative from there current morning line up which is repeats. It would draw more people depending on the talent too, throw a good panel of comedians/presenters up there and it would be a feel-good show. A good laugh to wake up too.

Link here: Am Show Youtube

Southern Cross Ten tried the “breakfast radio on TV” format in Townsville & the Gold Coast back in 2009 but that didn’t last long - presumably because having not much more than a camera shot of a radio station on TV and music videos doesn’t make for the most compelling of viewing over an extended period of the morning!

The Pay TV horse racing channel Sky Racing 1 currently runs a simulcast of it’s “Big Sports Breakfast” radio program as heard on Sky Sports Radio in Sydney/NSW…but that’s happening with both a TV & radio station of fairly niche appeal.

Perhaps a weekly “highlights” TV show of some breakfast radio show might make for OK-ish cheap filler programing in a lower profile timeslot like Saturday nights, but surely this sort of thing wouldn’t work for three hours or so each weekday?

You need to use TV studios and gear the show for TV. I was thinking more like ‘The Loop’ meets ‘The AM Show’ meets traditional morning show format (but more fast paced).

No…just…no

Perfect cheap late night show - the opposite of American procedurals. Exactly the type of live show Netflix can’t do.

4 Likes

Probably not a bad idea to incorporate Ten Daily into some sort of on-air presence. Either as a regular program in the afternoon or even just brief snippets through the day, top and tailed with sponsor branding. “This Ten Daily update brought to you by…”

5 Likes

One thought for Ten if they wanted to do a breakfast show again would be a state based breakfast show - after all no one else does one and it could still cover major national stories. The only thing that could stop it is limited revenue sources from advertisers making it cost prohibitive.