Saturday 6 May 2023

Ten tried to counter the Queen’s funeral coverage last year with their regular programming, and it was demolished.

2 Likes

If I were in charge at Ten, I would have run a show simply called “A Program For Those Bored With The Coronation”

You would have to tune it to see what it is lol

Ten’s alternate programming was never going to set the world on fire though - you’ve either got to program something reasonably strong against it or rely on building a reputation of being an alternate option (like Channel 4 have done in the UK where they consistently alternatively program against events like this)

2 Likes

I would agree with you regarding the Amazing Race, but Ten also showed HYBPA? that night, which I think is probably their second strongest program right now behind Masterchef. It wasn’t as if they ran NCIS or Law and Order repeats

The results for 10 are quite interesting. I wonder why people chose their coverage as very few tune in to the network for news in the past and especially not on a Saturday. To achieve a 16% share on a very high rating night is a stand out. To achieve the highest Saturday share for 2 years up against the same program on all other networks is a mystery. Perhaps a clean graphics free feed from London was attractive, though ABC had that. Possibly by starting essentially at 6pm when 7 and 9 thought we wanted an hour of news, some switched over to 10 and stayed for the night.

6 Likes

It’s a great point Tv.Cynic and almost debunks the belief that people wouldn’t turn to Ten for news and current affairs

Apart from the fact that Seven and Nine had over double the numbers for exactly the same event. But that’s a point that has been litigated far too much in recent times in this forum.

3 Likes

I get it but Ten was still in there punching.

The debate in recent times is would people turn to Ten for news in the times when it is not on the other networks.

I think last night’s result shows that Ten has credibilty in this space

1. I don’t know how you draw that conclusion from last night’s figures.
  2. Ten already does show news outside the times of other networks, and people still aren’t watching.

I’ll leave the discussion on that point there though.

1 Like

Yes agreed.

Although worth finishing on the point that Ten News performed well on most days last week and was consistently in the Top 20.

1 Like

10 News did very well on Monday (due to the sad death of MasterChef’s Jock). On Wednesday Thursday and Friday, 10 News just scraped into the top 20, and was beaten by Tipping Point on those three days.

4 Likes

So imagine how well it would do if the Network actually threw some resources behind it?

I gotta go.

A few noticeable things for mine:

No network or main channel hit 40%+ (or even mid 30%) and 30%+ respectively, as these ‘event’ nights have sometimes seen.

AFL and NRL on FTA back-fired, at least the main channels in respective markets (note that that 170k whatever in Melbourne was for the 30min on main channel at 7pm I’m presuming), hovering around just 70-80k respectively.

No m/c bar ABC News channel went massive, despite Perth AFL local team and network coronations, such as 7mate, 7Two and 9Gem.

I did tip earlier in the week this would probably be the lowest of the royals in recent times. However, 10, well done had to be said.

1 Like

Oh please. When has the majority of the country ever watched anything? The country would pretty much have to stop to have that many people be free and available to watch live tv for multiple hours on a Saturday night. These are only averages for live linear viewing too, not total reach or peak audiences.

The coronation did very well. Given the length I’m sure that a lot of people (like me) were not able too watch it all and just watched snippets of it throughout the night.

4 Likes

SBS did. 1.7%.

I was expecting Ten to be rating 3s or 4s so am surprised it managed a 12. Any counter programming by Ten would not have rated that high.

6 Likes

Maybe. It depends how well you do it

Even if 10 were showing a new run episode of MAFS last night, it would’ve still been smashed so the coverage was the right decision.

It’s 10’s best Saturday share in two years.

Although i was also expecting a 3-4% share like previous Royal Events, it looks like the 6pm start must have helped (rather than the 7pm start on Seven and Nine). That’s the only thing i can think of too.

Showing alternative programming, and it might have been shares like SBS’s 1.7%.

1 Like

I only flicked between channels late in the coverage. From what I saw, I thought Ten was the best with a clean feed and BBC commentary, yet it rated the lowest. But to be honest, I didn’t watch more than 15 minutes across the whole telecast.

So is it because Ten is never the first choice for most viewers in Australia. Or is there a bigger issue here like could it be that the ratings boxes are skewed unfairly against Ten so they always look bad no matter what?

3 Likes

The ratings boxes and households are changed regularly enough - so I would doubt this.

4 Likes