Russia Ukraine conflict - Coverage Discussion

Does anyone know what report this is from? I’ve tried to find it.

Also since it’s been mentioned. Anybody got any screenshots or video of Chris Reason on Cnn?

1 Like

I saw it on the Sydney 6pm 7 News I’m going to say Wednesday night?

Edit - just checked, it was Tuesday night - about 13mins in.

1 Like

They played this on The Last Leg this morning and have changed the audio on their ‘bullshit’ button to this

3 Likes

Nick Dole filed a report from Odesa

2 Likes

Barbara Miller is now in Lviv.

2 Likes

So you’re OK with freelance and international journalists risking their lives to provide images in order for Aussie journalists not to be put at risk?

Amelia Adams is now leaving Ukraine

3 Likes

Please. I’m not ok with any journo being put at risk, but freelance journos will still be there like it or no (many will have travelled to cover this since it’s such a huge story), and American networks will always have correspondents there, or as close to the action as possible.

All I’m saying is that I don’t think it’s necessary to have Australian journos there as well, when they can simply use affiliate images. To me, it’s an unnecessary risk for every network in the world to have a crew there.

1 Like

Carrie-Anne Greenbank is now back reporting from Lviv after presumably a break.

3 Likes

Great reporting on CNN. Wolf Blitzer anchoring from Brussels. John Berman anchoring from Lviv. Compelling coverage.

1 Like

Too bad basically no one can see it in Aus.

Not news coverage, though it does contain reports from Ukraine, but see ABC TV Plus are airing the UK Concert for Ukraine, which aired tonight on ITV and as these things go was pretty decent actually.

1 Like
1 Like

ABC, 7 and 9 ran stories today about the confronting images coming out of Bucha. But then blurred most of the screen when they showed them. The Project did show bodies but were selective with the photos they used.

The photos are confronting but not gory and the faces are not identifiable. It would be interesting to see Australians opinions on how sanitized the imagery should be. I think bulletins should be braver and let the audience be confronted.

2 Likes

I think for the daytime & early evening bulletins they probably got it about right given there is much greater likelihood of young children being inadvertently exposed to those images which they may find distressing.

For the late night bulletins I would definitely agree that they should be less sanitized though, that is a more appropriate timeslot and graphic content is much more expected on television at that time of night.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Some Australian journalists have been sanctioned by Russia.

Well, the Australian journalists & all sanctioned should wear it as a badge-of-honour.

Raise your glasses to an end to evil authoritarian regimes. Slava Ukraini

4 Likes

Slightly off topic, why were Kerry Stokes, Gina Rinehart and Andrew Forrest sanctioned by Russia? Their companies don’t have any operations in Russia anyway.

Not sure about the first two bods, but I thought Twiggy was trying to fast track Hydrogen Energy in Australia to sell to Germany, to lessen Germany’s dependence on Russian Gas or oil. Putin wouldn’t like that. Remember Putler owns a huge amount of Gazprom & many know how he achieved that…