Russia Ukraine conflict - Coverage Discussion

We sanction Russia’s billionaires, they sanction ours.
Not much more too it than that!

1 Like

Ukraine has really slipped out of the headlines. Guess we’re desensitised to the idea of war in Europe, and feels like the world will live with it for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

What I found most offputting about recent coverage is that Ukraine’s propaganda became far too blatant, and it’s near insulting to have seen the MSM just straight up repeat obvious falsehoods that were designed to keep Ukrainian citizens feeling positive about their situation rather than be reporting it as fact in the west. I stopped following the situation in the news when it started to become difficult to find sources that weren’t already poisoned by either Ukrainian or Russian propaganda.

The other thing is reporting on western governments, particularly the US giving billions of dollars of aid to Ukraine is unappealing at a time when there’s near out of control inflation and cost of living pressures.

1 Like

Those journalists listed taking it as a badge of honour.

Also, potential for Albanese to visit Ukraine next week.

1 Like

ABC News channel will show a 30-minute special, No End in Sight, marking one year since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine began.

One year on from Russia’s invasion, there is no end in sight for the War in Ukraine, with heavy casualties and claims of war crimes. Karina Carvalho looks at the battle for Ukraine and the future for the besieged nation.

It will air at 8.30pm AEDT tonight and available on iView after broadcast.

3 Likes

Reporting on the year of war. Strangely only 10 and ABC had reporting from Ukraine.

3 Likes

Putin is seemingly playing the long game. Russia’s population is ~x4 that of Ukraine & maintains a greater number of armaments. By Russia’s reckoning they should be able to outlast Ukraine by the sheer soldiers numbers. Ukraine no doubt needs more equipment & continue to act on their terms & continue to defend with intelligent methodologies to curb their manpower losses to at least 20% of that of the Russian orcs.

On the subject of Media I do ponder the influence of Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty on the Russian people these days compared to the days of cold war where the Russian people (via Radio Liberty) were able to tune into shortwave broadcasts to counter their nation’s own propaganda media. Thus with Radio Liberty now relegated mainly to an online only distributed media, I do wonder of the penetration & thus influence of Radio Liberty on Russian society these days. The Russian government propaganda has done its job on the majority of the Russian folk. Many of the younger resistant, intelligent & informed Russians have either fled to countries like Georgia, Turkey, Kazakhstan & the like or they have fled to St.Petersburg where the chances of being conscripted is less likely.

With talk of Russia authorities wanting to conscript tertiary students I can’t help but think that this is Cambodia’s Pol Pot all over again. Get rid of the Russians intellectuals, send them to the front lines as cannon fodder, then it’s much easier to use their propaganda media machine on the remaining dumber vodka/cattle class of older Russian folk to mould them to Putler’s needs - give to their motherland.
Should I mention the kidnapping of Ukrainian children to mould them with Russian propaganda.
The evil of Putin beggars belief.

2 Likes
1 Like

Wagner group march from Ukraine into Russia
CNN

CGTN

Al jazeera

Sky News UK

BBC News

CNN

1 Like

They’re marching towards Moscow, not Ukraine.

1 Like

Should this be changed to Russia Russia conflict?

5 Likes