Russia and Ukraine Conflict

Cold? I have much greater words I could use for you. I feel you are the type of person who will need a good lawyer one day. To me the reason why you say you ‘don’t care’ is because you get off on death. Good luck - what you write on the internet is always there.

5 Likes

The takeaway from that is not that Putin is justified, but that Iraq was not. I’d imagine that the comparisons to Iraq 2003 are coming or even bay of pigs or ongoing support or Israel.

Of course Putin should be condemned, but we shouldn’t pretend the west have any historical moral high ground.

1 Like

I dont think anyone is defending the wests actions either. This isn’t a comparison to another war. This is about what we are seeing now. An unprovoked attack on a country and its citizens.

5 Likes

One would argue that was the same with Iraq and Afghanistan too where innocent people died. I feel that when these invasions do happen there is always going to be a comparison. But the end result is the same : innocent victims lives murdered and for what? Lies and false information? Arrogance and gread ?

The human race has not learned it’s lesson and don’t think it will for a long long time.

I’m not directing to you personally but I think comparisons will always be used.

Afghanistan was a different story, and Bin Laden/al Qaeda were to blame for that as Sept 11 was the forerunner to that - strong action to protect our way of life had to be taken.

Iraq was nothing more than a convenient play for key assets, using the excuses of weapons and spreading democracy to fuel support for that, and time has proven that was a colossal mistake.

2 Likes

This thread from an Estonian member of the European Parliament is interesting (if it is true) - basically, the Russians were aiming to have this done and dusted within a few days - if it goes longer then they’re somewhat vulnerable by being underequipped

1 Like

Ukraine is setting up a foreign legion.

1 Like

Whilst I respect your right to have an opinion on the political side of this, unfortunately I can’t really agree with this train of thought. No matter what the leaders of political parties and governments want to do, they should NEVER, EVER, put innocent civilians’ lives at stake for their own gains. To do so like Putin has done is a horrible horrible thing and should be dealt with the biggest blows from all sides.

As for Donetsk and Luhansk in the Donbas region, whilst I have no doubt that there is some who want to be independent, those folks are either brainwashed by Putin or are stupid enough to believe his lies anyway and they’re in the minority. For Putin to just recognise them without international consensus is just a pure disgrace and there is no way that it justifies an invasion of these regions, let alone the whole DAMN COUNTRY when Ukraine is just as sovereign as their neighbours. Russia has no right to commit such an act, even if they seem to think they’re the victim (which they’re not) but unfortunately they do seem to have the upper hand being the president of the UN Security Council and having the world’s 2nd most powerful military.

6 Likes

The issues in the Donbass region aren’t new - they date back to the recovery after WW2 when the region’s population became predominately Russian. Moves for independence for the region date back to the early 1990s when Ukraine became independent.

:flushed:

While at face value this is seemingly not too much of a threat and more of a defence announcement, in light of how Putin is framing his ‘intervention’ in Ukraine this could indeed be quite a scary pronouncement.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think its going to be very bad for Ukraine in the coming days. Russia will be sending in more troops and military.

1 Like

If Russia does use Nuclear weapons against Ukraine it will be bad for both sides.

Apparently there is talks of a peace conversation at the border of Belarus and Ukraine for Monday morning. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Might be of interest. EU closing off airspace to Russian airlines.

Earlier closures saw some unusual flight paths.

Qantas announced yesterday its flights between Darwin and London would avoid Russian airspace altogether. Previously, the flight has been flying north over China and through Russia before crossing into Europe to the UK.

2 Likes

Does anyone else look at all the blue and yellow virtue signaling and “pray for Ukraine” on social media and just get angry.

I thought societies were done with this type of stuff after one of the school shootings in America?
Its self indulgent and something people do when they don’t want to do anything actually effective that might involved personal sacrifice.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused.

You get angry because people send prayers for Ukraine rather than do something?

2 Likes

The Cuban Missile Crisis almost 60 years is thought to be the closest we got to a nuclear conflict. Other close calls included the 1983 Soviet False Alarm and Able Archer 83

The sanctions and SWIFT ban seem to be having an effect.

I don’t see the problem with people showing solidarity with the Ukranians.

Praying probably doesn’t a lot (imho) but each to their own and I’m not sure what you want people to do? Pick up guns and fly to Ukraine and help out?

Slacktivism on social media is a bit of a false narrative imho, sure - changing display pictures and the like may not do anything physical but who knows whether the person who has changed their picture also donated to charity or been involved in protests or actively been involved in whatever that cause might be (a charity, a movement etc)

3 Likes