Russia and Ukraine Conflict

Just heard this has already started happening. they have started by banning some of the banks from the system. Let’s see how low long it takes before there all banned.

How can you say that? It was wrong for Lugansk and Donetsk regions to break away from Ukraine, wrong for Putin to support the cause, and wrong for Putin to invade Ukraine to force the issue.
The worst outcome will be Russia destroying Ukraine’s sovereignty and forcing United Nations and the wider international community to recognise the merger of Russia and Ukraine, with the threat of retaliation (remember Russia has nuclear weapons in hand).

3 Likes

We disagree there irreconcilably I think. I believe this IS about freedom for Donetsk and Lugansk. The move in to the rest of Ukraine is unfortunately necessary to bring that about swiftly rather than continuing the fight around the borders for many years to come.

I believe they have a right to break away, just as I believe all concentrated populations within an area of a nation have a right to break away and form a new nation if they believe the existing nation is at odds with their interests.

Eg. Hypothetically, if Western Australia or even just the Kimberley region of WA decided to secede from Australia, I believe it is within their rights to do that.

Umm no its not. They need Canberra’s consent to do that.

Republic of Western Australia: how the west has always charted its own course, from secession to COVID (theconversation.com)

1 Like

If you listen to the reports you would know that a lot of these breakaway areas are against the invasion and would rather be part of Ukraine. So I don’t really get your point.

I think the issue in Donetsk and Luhansk is a poor justification for the current actions on Ukraine. Yes, those regions should have a right to self determination, through a fair and internationally recognised referendum if they so wish. It does not, however, justify the full-scale invasion of the rest of Ukraine, a sovereign nation in it’s own right that has the right to form it’s own alliances (such as with the EU and NATO)- that seems to be Putin’s main issue (not the Donetsk/Luhansk issue which is a bit of a false flag).

2 Likes

If they wanted to do it peacefully, that would be the approach to take and I would hope they would try that first. If Canberra refused permission and WA still wanted out, hostilities are justified in my view no matter what a piece of paper may say.

We’re obviously following or at least believing different reports. My understanding is that Donetsk and Lugansk wanted both recognition and military support.

Fair enough. I disagree but I respect your position and the constructive exchange of views.

1 Like

So you believe if you want to break agreements and laws violence and killing people is ok?

1 Like

Under some circumstances, yes.

Well your logic is quite dangerous and I am worried for people who surround you.

5 Likes

As someone who has a missing cousin in the conflict I can honestly say the violence and the needless deaths that we have seen is not warranted. They are victims of Putin’s power grab.

I honestly don’t know how or why someone would be supportive of Putin’s war on Ukraine . I really don’t get it.

6 Likes

You’re not the first person to say something like that to me. The word “cold” has been used. Frankly I only care about death when it’s someone I know or have a tangible connection to. I feel absolutely nothing and don’t care in the slightest about the endless daily cavalcade of deaths in the news from road accidents, fires, sharks, murders, worksite accidents etc. But I do feel strong disgust and sorrow when humans kill animals for reasons other than food and clothing. Can’t quite reconcile that.

That’s probably off-topic though.

Wow :pleading_face: that was just a hurtful remark .

1 Like

Sorry Mullet. The comment wasn’t directed at you specifically. I originally didn’t include the text of turdall’s post that I was replying to. I’ve edited to include that now.

It’s still directed at someone who has a missing relative in Ukraine. You clearly have no empathy for those families in Ukraine.

3 Likes

he said people have called him cold and that is what he is .

1 Like

That’s sociopathic on every level.

7 Likes