Russia and Ukraine Conflict

I think it’s clear that some of the restraint from leaders is because of concern over their domestic political issues. Either gas prices or fear of defense humiliation. The voters that support those leaders are probably the same ones that have the blue and yellow profiles.

Probably also because they don’t want to start a nuclear war with Russia as well? We’re talking about the largest nuclear arsenal in the world.

Who cares about the people on Twitter? Far worse things to worry about. We do not want a nuclear war with Russia. I employ you to go watch the Threads movie. Do you really want the world to end up like that?
It makes you think how close it all came to be that in the 1980s…

1 Like

If anything, Threads was probably the least worst outcome of a thermonuclear war in today’s climate. Russia’s nuclear capabilities have exceeded the capabilities of the 80s and any attack would destroy the world for good. Concerning that such powers lie in the hands of Putin the cretin who seems keen to destroy world order.

I think it’s a simple but effective message to the people of Ukraine.

If I’m Ukrainian and on FB, Twitter, Tok Tok, Insta etc and see a sea of yellow and blue flags in solidarity I would actually find that quite touching.

Just to know there are billions of people out there thinking of them and their country is a powerful message that these people need and I’m sure appreciate right now.

3 Likes

I also think the sea of yellow and blue is joining in on the fight. The more the rest of the world is united the more it could potentially get back to the Russian community. Which might make another person get out on the streets and bring an end to Putin. I have never seen the west and the people so united.

3 Likes

untitled

1 Like

Think it’s pretty safe to put Canada in yellow and Myanmar in red.

1 Like

Wouldn’t Chinna be Pro Russia?

It would make sense but as far as they’re concerned they’ve at least publically backed away from supporting them whilst also abstaining from condemning them outright.

Their diplomatic relationship with Russia and whether China wants to do something similar with Taiwan (:scream:) is one thing but looking somewhat neutral and not pro-tyranny on the world stage at the moment is another universe altogether.

1 Like

Australian leaders are going all in, accusing them of being pro-Putin. But the rest of the western world seem to be praising them for their surprisingly neutral stance so far.

2 Likes

That neutrality may surprisingly swing towards the West narrative if China’s foreign minister’s stance is anything to go by. Wang Yi seems to be one of the few leaders in China that looks to be against the conflict but can’t say it outright whilst Xi is in power.

Of course it could all be for show but if not and they genuinely mean it, then that’s one good thing they’ve done out of the mess they’ve been in politically in recent years.

I think China only in the last 48 hours called for both parties to negotiate rather than fight. So I think that makes it pretty clear they aren’t supporting this move. But they are never going to put in similar sanctions as Europe - Russia is their neighbours as well.

3 Likes

Pretty much. Putin and the Kremlin is so two-faced that if China opposed them outright like the West he could easily turn on them instead despite their relationship.

1 Like

China was one of the first countries to recognise Ukraine after it gained independence in 1991, and developed a strategic relationship in 2011.

7 news is not keeping up with the political correctness. “Crisis in Ukraine” instead of war. And Peter Mitchell repeatedly using the old Soviet pronunciation ‘Ki-ev’ instead of the Ukrainian ‘Keev’.

The kosher English pronunciation of the city is more like “Kyeev”, which is a rough approximation of the actual Ukrainian pronunciation since we don’t have some of those sounds in English.

1 Like

You know, I have to admit I did not even know there was a difference until this whole thing happened.

2 Likes

Has anyone seen a list of every business or sporting team that is currently affected by the sanctions?``

The United Nations General Assembly has overwhelmingly voted to reprimand Russia over its invasion of Ukraine and demanded that Moscow stop fighting and withdraw its military forces. 141 countries voted to support the resolution, 35 abstained (including China) and five voted against it (Russia, Belarus, North Korea, Eritrea, Syria).