Rugby League

It won’t be the only one… Bluebet Stadium at Penrith is another one that will be in the same boat.

Good move by the Govt in imposing the restrictions of course.

Do we have enough $$$ in the kitty to rename it MediaSpy Stadium? :grin:

4 Likes

And Shark Park will have it’s 149th name change at the end of the year :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I know! They’ve had a lot… I think their first name change back in the mid 80s (to from Endeavour Field to Caltex Field) was the first time I saw a sponsored name on a football ground and I first thought it must be a completely different/new one!

3 Likes

Meanwhile, the Sharks have signed a “Team Song Sponsor”

1 Like

On the subject of sports sponsorships and vices, Benson & Hedges retained sponsorship of the cricket till the end of the 1995-96 season, despite the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act coming into force in 1992. So there could be some latitude given here.

I prefer the ABC approach and prefer Endeavour Field

1 Like

We all prefer the more traditional names, but sadly, $$$ talks.

2 Likes

I think most of us prefer the traditional names too. I like ABC’s approach. But i think most call it Shark Park these days anyway, rather than the annual name change.

I still call the Dragons home ground as Kogarah Oval, as do my friends, rather than Nestrata, OKI, WIN Jubilee (and the oddly names University of Wollongong Jubilee Stadium it briefly once had).

2 Likes

News Ltd is reporting the NRL is considering moving Origin to Monday nights, in order to give players more time to recover and back up to the following weekend.

A good move IMO.

Paywall

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/monday-buzz-nrl-seriously-considering-changing-state-of-origin-from-wednesday-to-monday/news-story/9ec7be7be59423d2e494e5bad77e53f6

3 Likes

Agree Monday night origin is better for the NRL premiership - though I’ll believe it when I see it.

9 likes Wednesday night origins (assuming 9 retain origin rights) because there is less competition from the other FTA channels than on Mondays.

1 Like

Very interesting report on Media Watch tonight on rugby league reporting especially around the State of Origin by the Daily Telegraph.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Very tough for all who went through this case, including Jarryd being in gaol. Certainly his life has changed from when he was a young player at the eels. I really loved watching him as an eels fan.

1 Like

Agree, and I imagine he’ll get a pretty substantial amount of compensation if he isn’t found guilty again,

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if there is a 4th attempt - he’s already served a significant amount of the sentence to now and there is (according to some lawyer discussion on Reddit) some fairly pointed commentary in the judgement suggesting that the DPP shouldn’t attempt to relitigate.

This is the second appeal where it was found that the jury’s instructions were in question which raises some real serious questions about whether he’s actually able to get fair justice at another trial

1 Like
5 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes

“There’s nothing better than sitting on Wayne Pearce Hill”

He’s easy to please :grin:
I’d rather be in a plush corporate suite getting free food and drink!

4 Likes

3 Likes

Game 2

3 Likes