Rugby League

Is That possible?!

I honestly think (or hope) they’ll have more respect for them - it would be horrible if not otherwise it could turn women off the game.

1 Like

I’m sure they’ll treat them like any other ref: players don’t care who the person who has given a call for or against them is.
It was more a (probably distasteful) dig at the history NRL players have with women…

1 Like

It’s a bit of a shame so many teams are resting players this weekend. Perhaps the NRL should consider a bye round (like the AFL has) just before the finals to stop this

2 Likes

Should be a discount for those who go to the game.

4 Likes

Sydney Roosters’ Jared Waerea-Hargreaves was banned for a total of seven matches at the NRL judiciary last night. The veteran was involved in two incidents in the 65th minute in the Roosters’ clash against Wests Tigers: dangerous contact on Apisai Koroisau, followed by striking against Stefano Utoikamanu.

2 Likes

The Storm have kept this incredible winning run over the Broncos going, stretching it to 14 a row with a 22-32 victory in Brisbane tonight. Melbourne have also not lost a game against the Broncos in Brisbane since 2009. Amazing.

The Storm have also unearthed a future star in fullback Sualauvi Fa’alogo, who scored one of the best tries I’ve seen for a while.

It also opens the door for Penrith to move back into 1st place if they beat the Cowboys on Saturday and win the minor premiership.

2 Likes

Penrith dominated this evening’s match against North Queensland, winning 44-12. The result means the Panthers had claimed back to back minor premierships (their third in four years), and also ending the Cowboys’ finals hopes.

In other results, the Dolphins ended their inaugural season with a 34-10 victory over the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium, while the Knights beat the Dragons 32-12 at Kogarah.

2 Likes

In other news, the Dragons season has sadly ended. Another bad year, but luckily not as bad as the Tigers. There is only 6 months to go until the 2024 season begins, and the Dragons will go upwards, to victory :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The home and away season ended this afternoon with Cronulla defeating Canberra 24-6 at home, with Raiders’ Seb Kris sent off in the second half after lifting Sione Katoa above the horizontal and sending him head first into the turf. The result means the Sharks will host the Roosters next week while the Raiders have to travel up north to Newcastle to face the Knights.

1 Like

It was a horrible looking tackle, just glad Katoa wasn’t hurt. A tackle gone wrong. Kris will miss 3-5 weeks I think.

Sharks finally got the upper hand from that point on - they were traillng 4-6 at half time. Sharks defence has improved, only conceded one try - from a kick - but their their attack will need to improve to beat the Roosters next week. It looked a bit off today even though they won 24-6.

It also ends a 10 game losing streak to Canberra - a stat I didn’t realise!

The 2023 NRL Finals are set. All kickoff times AEST.

FRIDAY:
Brisbane Broncos vs Melbourne Storm | Qualifying (7:50pm)

SATURDAY:
Penrith Panthers vs New Zealand Warriors | Qualifying (4:05pm)
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks vs Sydney Roosters | Elimination (7:50pm)

SUNDAY:
Newcastle Knights vs Canberra Raiders | Elimination (4:05pm)

5 Likes

The National Rugby League (NRL) has today released tickets and travel packages for the Round One 2024 NRL Telstra Premiership matches in Las Vegas.

The NRL is also pleased to announce Fiji Airways as presenting rights partner to Rugby League Las Vegas.

Travel packages with TripADeal, ranging from three, four and five nights and including a variety of hotel options, premium event tickets, exclusive merchandise and flights on selected packages are also available now. Packages start from $1,299pp AUD (twin share excl flights).

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind going when it’s Cronulla’s turn to play. If Newcastle are also playing on the same weekend, I could get a group outing happening with some friends who are Knights supporters.

1 Like

Lovely for Australia Week! Qantas or Virgin dropped the ball here…

2 Likes

That’s a knock on here!

2 Likes

Virgin Australia no longer flies to the US, instead it has formed a codeshare agreement with United Airlines.

So I think it’s Qantas which did the knock on.

2 Likes

The Broncos won tonight’s qualifying final against the Storm in emphatic style, ending a 14-match losing streak at Suncorp Stadium. The Broncos scored four tries to nil on their way to 26-0 victory and will host a preliminary final in two weeks’ time.

The Storm’s woes were compounded by a serious ankle injury to Ryan Papenhuyzen with seven minutes to go in the second half.

3 Likes

Very sad to see, he has a compound fracture - I wouldn’t be surprised if he never plays again after the dislocated kneecap from last year - but I really hopes he makes it back next year.

3 Likes

Penrith’s 32-6 win over the Warriors this afternoon has meant one thing.

That there’ll be at least one non Sydney team in the Grand Final (as Broncos, Warriors, Knights and the Raiders are now all on the same side of the draw).

And after Brisbane’s dominant 26-0 win last night, I’ll be very surprised if it’s not a Panthers v Broncos Grand Final.

6 Likes

Cronulla are out of the finals after losing to Sydney Roosters 12-13 at home tonight. Both teams scored two tries, and it was Sam Walker’s 72nd minute field goal that made the difference.

1 Like