Rugby League World Cup 2017

England held out Tonga 20-18 in today’s semi final in Auckland and will face Australia in next Saturday’s final. Tonga was robbed of a last minute try.

1 Like

Who wins out of Australia or England in the RLWC2017 Final next week in Brisbane?

• Australia
  • England

0 voters

1 Like

Highway Patrol repeat pre-empted (6pm-6:30pm) in Sydney & Melbourne due to RLWC over-run.

1 Like

I just voted, and Australia gets 100% of the vote, but England still gets 5% of the votes.

Is there a flaw with this voting polls on this forum?

17 voters but 18 total votes hmmm.

1 Like

Just realised that its possible to choose more than 1 option… that explains it.

Still, it shouldn’t add up to over 100%. Looks like 1 person has voted for both, so results should read approx 94% AUS (17 out of 18) and ENG 6% ???

1 Like

I haven’t seen a graphic laid out this bad in over a decade. So confused and ugly.

Australian men’s and women’s teams set for RLWC Finals

Australia will be aiming for an 11th Rugby League World Cup title when it faces arch enemy England at Brisbane Stadium Saturday night.

The Australians were convincing again on the weekend as they annihilated Fiji in the semi-final running out winners 54-6.

Wayne Bennett’s English side scraped through their semi-final 20-18 over Tonga in high controversy, as Tonga lost control of the ball just before they seemed set to cross for the match-winning try.
England will be hoping to turn the tables from the last time these two teams met in the decider in 1995 when Australia triumphed 16-8.

Prior to the men’s final, Australia and New Zealand will meet for the third consecutive time in the women’s Rugby League World Cup final in Brisbane.

Defending women’s champions, the Jillaroos, have been impressive in the lead-up to the final winning the semi-final 58-6 against Canada, while the Kiwis also ran out convincing winners 52-4 over England.

Seven’s Rugby League World Cup Final coverage will be hosted by Jim Wilson along with Laurie Daley, Benji Marshall, Allana Ferguson and Mark Geyer.

Mark Braybrook will call the men’s final with expert commentary from Gary Belcher and Brett Kimmorley on the sidelines.

David Tapp will call the women’s final with Renee Gartner and Andrew Ryan.

Saturday December 2

Australia v England – Men’s Rugby League World Cup Final
Sydney 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 6.00pm LIVE on 7mate, 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Perth 4.00pm LIVE on 7mate

Australia v New Zealand - Women’s Rugby League World Cup Final
Sydney 4.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 4.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 3.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 4.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on 7mate

2 Likes

It’s grand final day but the coverage is still hosted from the Sydney studio. Why can’t they do it from Suncorp Stadium for a change?

5 Likes

Probably because it’s considered by Seven as a special / limited event?

1 Like

Is that why Seven hosted the Rio Olympics out of Sydney, special / limited event, or to save money? I think they are cheap.

1 Like

Of course to save money. This is the price of keeping events like this on FTA tv. Sports rights are seriously overvalued (well some sports) and to hope to have some sort of return on investment then things like a sydney based studio presentation for limited events world cups and olympics are necessary - would save a chunk of money on production costs, hotels for staff etc.

I don’t love it but I can accept it as a viewer. The product at the end of the day is the sport.

2 Likes

Even though they are host broadcaster, it’s common for in-venue hosting access to not be allowed at these events due to the number of other broadcasters involved.

Sometimes they give broadcasters certain slots where they can film 10 minutes (or a certain period of time) of content for play out from the ground and it’s uploaded by a shared satellite.

I don’t know if that is in place for this tournament, even if it is lower stature.

Of course it doesn’t stop Seven from hosting near the venue or elsewhere in Brisbane

3 Likes

Seven have always done that, previous Olympics were hosted out of Seven Sport in Melbourne (Sandy Roberts, etc)

1 Like

Only Athens. Was woeful. Rio was also woeful.

Beijing was hosted from China.

2 Likes

Woeful when it isn’t presented from the country. Beijing was great being hosted from the actual country as the host could really convey the vibe and do actual in studio interviews !

3 Likes

Great evening for Australia with both women’s and men’s teams winning the World Cup in bruising encounters. Because the coverage was held from Sydney it was hard to tell if the presentation ceremony was live or not. Seven News Brisbane’s Bill McDonald was MC for both ceremonies.
The World Cup returns to England in 2021 and 16 teams will compete, two more than this year’s tournament. Do you think Seven will not renew the rights as it is undergoing cost-cutting, or will Nine and Ten bid to show the event?

2 Likes

The 2021 event will be in the UK so the time zone difference means games will mostly be played overnight. While that didn’t deter Seven from getting the rights in 2013, the success of this tournament will probably mean there’ll be more interest from Nine, Ten and Fox Sports to grab the rights

4 Likes

So, RLWC final belted the Ashes in Sydney & Brisbane (as I predicted).

I’d be surprised if Rugby League / CA let this situation happen again, not fair on the audience, as we’ve seen in the past with similar situations.

Seven I’d imagine will be happy their shares were quite close to Nine’s on the final ratings night of the year, given the Ashes.

2 Likes

I think Nine might have persuaded CA to schedule the Ashes test at the same time as RLWC final so the latter could not get all the limelight. This would not have happened had Nine got the rights to RLWC of course.

1 Like