Rugby League World Cup 2017

I live on the Gold Coast so I get both 7 and mate in HD through 7Qld and Prime NSW but for basically everyone else it’s shit. At least every game is on FTA I guess.

Because Australian Open golf will be on Seven’s main channel on both days (November 25 and 26).

Shouldn’t Rugby; especially the World Cup, get more priority over something less trivial like Golf…

3 Likes

Surely the quarter and semi finals of the RL world cup should be on the main channel in NRL territory. Why all Saturday afternoon games are relegated to 7Mate makes no sense.

1 Like

Perhaps the Australian Open broadcast contract is for main channel only? Only a guess.

1 Like

I agree. Seven’s coverage of the Melbourne Cup carnival finishes on November 11, and the second International Rules match from Perth on November 18 will be shown after two RLWC quarter finals. I don’t understand why the playoffs can’t be shown on main channel if schedule allows.

2 Likes

Seven has a longterm contract for the golf, don’t they?

If so, the contract for that probably would’ve been signed long before the rights to the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

I know why; those two games overlap with another game.

But could one of the conflicting games be moved up, to aviod that?

In the UK, they are using three channels to cover the RLWC; one pay tv and two FTA channels.

In that case, why can’t those games simply air on 7Two?

2 Likes

A Melbourne-only promo aired tonight during an ad break for The Grand Tour promoting next week’s opening match between Australia and England, featuring Jessica Mauboy as well as Brian Taylor and Matthew Richardson from Seven’s AFL commentary team; The Front Bar’s Andy Maher, Sam Pang and Mick Molloy; and Seven News’ Peter Mitchell, Tim Watson and Jane Bunn.

4 Likes

Seven’s head of sport Saul Shtein has admitted the network struggled to assemble the RLWC commentary team because many big names are contracted to either Nine or Fox Sports. The opening match will be held hours after Seven’s 2018 upfronts at the nearby Glasshouse (which is now headquarters of Collingwood Football Club, aka Holden Centre).
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/seven-assembles-a-league-of-its-own-for-world-cup/news-story/d5435cdfc5249e0b4eeaa79f978d311e

1 Like

Mean’t to add that Ken Laban will be calling a few games in NZ. Not sure if he will be heard on Seven.

I’m assuming the pregame on 7mate, game on 7 thing is for Brisbane? can’t see Seven bumping the news for pregame shows in QLD.

I have found out two group matches which will be replayed on late night on 7mate (France v Lebanon and Italy v USA) will be shown live on overseas broadcasters like Premier Sports UK and Fox Sports US.

1 Like

The pre-game is on the main channel in all East Coast markets with Brisbane’s news shortened to 30 minutes.

1 Like

Will Seven not switch 7mate to HD for RLWC games?

Or do they not consider this event big enough?

Also, will the scheduling depend on the ratings for the first game or two? Or are they locked-in regardless?

2 Likes

The schedule is a mess even in Sydney & Brisbane with some matches on Seven and others on 7mate, so I don’t think there’ll be any chopping and changing with LCN-70.

But as usual, I suppose it’s a case of wait and see.

6 Likes

For us in the USA, i guess we will get the host broadcaster commentary. for example, Mark Braybrook, Andrew Moore or Dan Ginnane for games in Australia, Glen Larmer for matches in New Zealand, and Chris Waren for games in PNG?

Premier Sports UK will get the host broadcaster (Channel Seven) coverage and commentary.
Bad news there will be no radio coverage in Australia for this tournament, after a last-minute bid to have it covered by SBS Radio fails. According to The Daily Telegraph, current NRL broadcasters Triple M and the ABC were not prepared to pay for the rights, understood to be as little as $50,000, because of their Ashes commitments. The RLWC semi finals are on the same weekend as the first Ashes test in Brisbane while the December 2 final clashes with the first night session of the second test in Adelaide. However the RLWC will be heard on radio in England and the Pacific and I reckon some fans will try anything to get access to the audio commentary.