Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal

I reckon that’s the first time since the all-day telethon launched (in 1960!) that they’ve taken time off in the afternoon. I thought they might have continued the Appeal on 7two or something, but there you go…

Pretty sure Sunrise in the past has covered or been broadcast from the Good Friday Appeal nationally

4 Likes

Sunrise haven’t broadcast from the Good Friday Appeal in years - the team usually fly down after the show.

3 Likes

my point was that they have actually done it before

1 Like

For obvious reasons, I haven’t really seen enough of the Good Friday Appeal to know how it works in detail. Although it’s to the best of my knowledge that both the appeal and the AFL are firmly entrenched as being part of popular culture in Melbourne and indeed Victoria as a whole.

As others have pointed out, there’ll probably be donation info about the GFA during the AFL coverage along with frequent crosses to the tally/call centre during quarter breaks of the game and such. If the Good Friday AFL match attracts a big TV audience in Melbourne and encourages people who otherwise may not have donated to the appeal to do so, this change can only be a good thing.

And yeah, I’m pretty sure that Sunrise has broadcast from both Melbourne’s Good Friday Appeal and Perth’s annual Telethon in the past…maybe going back ten years?

1 Like

What usually happens? AFL shown on Two/Mate?

This is the first year that AFL has been played on Good Friday.

4 Likes

True. But like others, I’m still a little surprised they won’t be switching the main coverage to 7mate or 7TWO during the AFL broadcast on Seven for viewers who want to continue watching it uninterrupted.

Watch the Good Friday Appeal live on Channel 7

Channel Seven Melbourne is proud to telecast the 2017 Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal LIVE on Channel 7 from 9am to midnight.
Across the day and night, from both The Royal Children’s Hospital and the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC), all the stars and celebrities will unite at this iconic telethon to raise much-needed funds for The Royal Children’s Hospital.
The stars from Channel 7’s HOME AND AWAY, THE CHASE, SUNRISE, SUNDAY NIGHT, 7NEWS, AFL, THE SECRET DAUGHTER and 800 WORDS will visit the Royal Children’s Hospital before joining our Good Friday Appeal Super Show panels.
From 7.30pm, the Good Friday Appeal Super Show will feature ARIA award winning artists and some of the Australia’s most loved performers, including TINA ARENA, DAMI IM, JON STEVENS, DARYL BRAITHWAITE and ANTHONY CALLEA.
Good Friday Appeal telethon will be streamed on PLUS7 Live.

3 Likes

That’s a great line up of talent performing on the night.

2 Likes

Which is why there has been much talk/promotion, it’s historic for footy (and controversial).

I hope so & both Seven and the AFL have indicated as such, including match proceeds going towards the RCH Good Friday Appeal.

As others have said, Sunrise heavily promote it (in recent years Grant Denyer / Eddie had presented weather and segments from the call centre), it’s in the news & multiple network personalities are part of the telecast.[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:44, topic:892”]
Good Friday Appeal
[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge, it’s Australia’s oldest (and arguably most well known) telethon, attributed to being held on Good Friday :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Could this year’s total donation hit $19 million? (Last year was $17,445,624) Promoting the appeal through an AFL match (North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs) broadcast around Australia and overseas will only raise the awareness of the appeal, and may attract more interstate and overseas donations.
I notice GFA is getting a big push on Qantas. Not only there is an article about the appeal in this month’s Qantas magazine, but also a commercial which is played on the inflight entertainment system.

I’m sure everyone in Victoria​ knows about it, as would people in far southern NSW who get Victorian television, but most of the population of NSW would not know much about it or know of it at all.

1 Like

Does Qantas still do their mystery flight to help rise funds?

Don’t think so,

Saw a tweet saying that they were selling raffle tickets for a Qantas flight.

1 Like

On Sunrise this morning Sam Mac presented weather and interviews from the hospital.

3 Likes

Surly it’s time for Seven to update their set and graphics

1 Like

Some caps from the stream this morning

6 Likes

Felgate family now hosting:

They have also been showing some classic moments from previous years:

6 Likes

updating tally of presenters - many caps above & below - { } = I missed a name, please help - this post is for archive purposes

Tim Watson hosting morning shift (from RCH foyer).

With Bruce McAvaney for first hour.

Cameron Ling then joined Tim.

Emily Angwin joined Tim & Lingy on/off.

Melina Sarris roving in the RCH.

Michael Felgate on the ‘country board’.

Nick McCallum doing roving interviews at RCH.

Blake Johnson doing interviews at the Convention & Exhibition Centre (MCEC).

Nathan Templeton arrived from QLD in the call centre.

David Brown arrived from Sydney & joined Tim and Lingy.

Emily returned to BCM & presented a special edition of Seven News at midday.

Peter Mitchell hosting afternoon shift (from MCEC).

Neil Mitchell joined him.

Tom Elliott and Phil Brady (both also from 3AW radio) then joined Peter.

Dean Felton took over from Michael Felgate on the ‘country board’.

Now Jackie & Michael Felgate with their daughter and newborn are now hosting, around 2pm/2:30pm (from MCEC).

Andrew O’Keefe now hosting solo for mid-afternoon shift (from MCEC).

AFL - Friday Twilight Football (Good Friday - Kick for the Kids) telecast started at 4pm.

AFL telecast finished at 7pm & Seven News special edition followed with Peter Mitchell (Tim Watson on sport).

Good Friday Appeal “Super Show” (evening shift) hosted by Kochie & Sam.

Tina Arena sung a sing beforehand.

Jennifer Keyte presenting large sum/corporate cheques.

Sam Mac in the call centre.

Beretts on the ‘country board’.

First panel with Kochie & Sam was Colin Fassnidge (MKR), Jackson Heywood (Home and Away), Lynne McGranger (Home and Away) & Claire Hooper (comedian).

Next panel was again with Colin Fassnidge, addition of ‘Effie’ (comedian), Tina Arena & Orpheus Pledger (Home and Away).

Next panel was Melinda Vidler (800 Words), some other young actor I think {help please}, Isabella Giovinazzo (Home and Away) & Jane Bunn (Seven News Melbourne meteorologist).

Peter Mitchell & Melissa Doyle now hosting the night session for the ‘Super Show’.

Next panel is Anne Hegerty (The Chase), Mark - (The Chase), Byron - (The Chase AU) & Nick McCallum (Seven News)

Next panel was Lehmo (comedian), Jordan Hare (The Secret Daughter), Arj Barker (comedian) & JR Reyne (The Secret Daughter).

Anthony Callea performed “Freedom”.

Hamish McLachlan hosted late night shift.

Next panel was with a child patient from the RCH who was very talented in front of the canera, Matthew Richardson (Seven AFL), Sam Lane (Seven Sport), Cameron Ling (Seven AFL) & Daisy Pearce (AFLW player).

Next panel dropped the kid and Daisy, added Lawrence Mooney & Dylan Alcott (Paralympics).

Lawrence Mooney hosted the final 30min.

Next panel was with Dave O’Neill (comedian), that young Home and Away actor from earlier, Rachel Gordon (The Secret Daughter), Joel Creasey (comedian) & Anthony Callea.

Jennifer Keyte finished the telecast (as always) with the Good Friday Appeal director reading the total at midnight + the CEO of the RCH.

Broadcast concluded at 12:02am [AEST].

7 Likes

AOK is hosting now, just by himself on the set:

Message from Prime7:

Some sets from over the years:

And some performances over the years, including Mike Whitney and Tania Zaetta ‘singing’ Barbie Girl by Aqua :open_mouth:

8 Likes