Roseanne, Barred

Hopefully this decision can be reversed, is one tweet worth cancelling a show over these days?

I feel for Sara Gilbert, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalfe, et al who will now be tarnished as a result through no fault of their own.

It wasn’t just one tweet though.

2 Likes

Yeah. Her twitter account has been demented for some time, this was next level though.

2 Likes

I find it bizarre how she could go from holding very left-wing views (even attempting to run to become the US Green Party’s Presidential candidate about 6 years ago) to becoming such an outspoken, racist Trump supporter. It is bizarre.

Taking the show off air permanently in light of that series of tweets is entirely appropriate. It’s a shame that Australian audiences won’t see it on terrestrial TV, but what she’s said is really beyond the pale.

1 Like

Flicking through her twitter and she’s gone complete conspiracy theory on George Soros too. Had to look him up but essentially a holocaust survivor being labelled a Nazi sympathiser and collaborator. These rwnj are going to destroy society.

1 Like

I wonder if it would have been axed by ABC if it was prior to the Harvey Weinstein and Me Too etc… Yes, completely different issues but the executives have now seen just how damaging bad behaviour can be and are now no longer tolerating it anywhere. Prior to all of this it probably would have been a couple of statements saying how bad the comments were and how they disagree and maybe a suspension.

I reckon it’s gone forever now, to be joined with such shows as Hey Dad and anything by Rolf Harris.

I have seen the new season and I have all the episodes, and it was a great return. But in that being said, Roseanne’s disgusting tweet (which I only found about after waking up 10 minutes ago) ABC, Network Ten have made the appropriate decision here. Her tweets on her tweet page were as Frankie said, are pretty much horrific with her conspiracy theories. She’s done. I’m happy that ABC US made the right decision, but sad for the cast and crew, especially Sara Gilbert who worked so hard to get this going again. I would say that no one will dare touch Roseanne on any network in the US. She’s done, I reckon.

1 Like

All episodes of the show have also been pulled from Hulu and the ABC catch up site. Latest episodes were there 12 hours ago.

Sad to see the show implode like this when it was being seen to embrace diversity with DJ’s mixed race marriage and a storyline involving muslim neighbours. I would love to have seen where the exploration of these issues through the lens of comedy could’ve been taken.

I would agree that people over react to stuff said on social media but feel the reaction to this is appropriate. Roseanne Barr would’ve known how inflammatory and offensive that comment would be. It makes me think she wanted out of the reboot and this was her way of pulling the pin. That or she was tanked up on liquor and opioids.

4 Likes

George Soros is a self-made billionaire:

I hope ABC America (or another company) can offer something to Sara Gilbert, John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf. Roseanne was always the weak link on her show.

Saying that a black woman is the daughter of the Muslim Brotherhood and an ape is about as terrible a thing you could fit into 140 characters. She deserves to lose everything.

3 Likes

I’ve worked that out, so why that hate?

Michael Fishman (who played D.J. Connor) has also made a statement on Twitter

4 Likes

Good on him for putting that statement out. He is one of the actors who has the most to lose from the show being cancelled and the repeats being dropped throughout the world, seeing he hasn’t had much work beside this show.

1 Like

Right-wing conspiracy theories place him as a puppetmaster of many different things even vaguely related to (American) liberal-leaning events.

George Soros is an exceptionally busy man, at least according to right-wing conspiracy theorists. Just within the last year, he has been credited with single-handedly funding the Black Lives Matter and Antifa movements, as well as with bankrolling (as a false-flag operation) the white-nationalist rally in Charlottesville against which both of those groups mobilized. Soros has been accused of masterminding Colin Kaepernick’s NFL protest and the Women’s March, and with pulling the strings that led H.R. McMaster, President Donald Trump’s national security adviser, to fire alt-right–aligned staffers. And last week, the supporters of the Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore alleged that Soros paid women to falsely accuse him of sexual assault.

1 Like

Did the Michael Richards racial slurs lead to Seinfeld reruns being axed worldwide? I really can’t see much difference here except for the fact it was the titular character this time.

1 Like

He used a racist slur at someone at his show.And how has his career gone since then?

This goes way beyond that. Are you trying to defend the indefensible? Wake up to yourself.

2 Likes

They’re very sad people.

Also he’s not the main character of the show.

I completely agree with everyone who’s saying that the decision by ABC to cancel Roseanne + Ten (and any other international broadcasters who’ve done likewise) following suit by removing the program from its schedules is the right one.

BTW, good decision to make a thread for this.